Leaving before I get banned.

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:08 am
mysteryman wrote:
Thats not true at all.
I have said it before,and will say it again...On some things I am just to the right of Attila the Hun,and on some things I am slightly left of Ted Kennedy.

One a global political continuum, to the left of Ted Kennedy still leaves you on the right.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:08 am
I am.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:09 am
mysteryman wrote:
. . . and on some things I am slightly left of Ted Kennedy.

This is possible, how?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

In Europe, in respond to mysteryman.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

This naming of names is kinda fun. As long as it doesn't lead to black-listing.

As for strategies that work (to maintain one's sanity): I agree with those who say they simply ignore (or try to) threads that open with intentionally inflammatory statements. Stop the fire by depriving it of oxygen, I say...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:31 am
roger wrote:
Aw, come on. Can't I at least be a doubtful?

LOL! I doubted about making you a doubtful, is that good enough?

Rick d'Israeli wrote:
nimh ik vroeg me af: ben jij ook echt lid van GroenLinks?

Welzeker ben ik dat. Ik heb me laatst nog sufgefolderd en gekraamd voor de Europese verkiezingen, en bij de laatste Kamerverkiezingen heb ik het folderen in mijn stad gecoordineerd, en bij 2 v/d 3 laatste Amsterdamse demonstraties GL-balonnen opgeblazen ...

mysteryman wrote:
I think you misplaced me on your list.
Am I a conservative? ABSOLUTELY YES.
Am I a "right-winger"?ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Interesting. How would you define the difference?

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Nimh has me listed as a conservative, but that does not cover the entire picture. I AM conservative economically, but am extremely liberal socially, probably more so than the average Democrat!.

Hmm ... perhaps I dont know enough about your stance on stuff like gay marriage, immigration, drugs policy etc. But in any case I was careful enough to say "right-winger" rather than "conservative"! Razz

As for right-wing/left-wing vs conservative/liberal, one of the things may be that here in (West-)Europe, the economic axis is really overriding, and the social axis is more additional. Thus "liberals" (who here are socially free-thinking, but also very much pro-free market) are by standard categorized as "right-wing". The same is not necessarily true in all of Eastern Europe, by the way.

husker wrote:
Thanks Nimh!!
Finally took a bullet - and it didn't hurt the least Wink

conservative
conservative
conservative....

Hey, glad to be of help ... Razz

mysteryman wrote:
Rick D'Israeli wrote:
In Europe, socially speaking you would still be a Conservative Very Happy

True,but we arent in Europe.

Ehm ... we're also not in America. We're in virtuality, and we's both Europeans and Americans ...

<takes a deep breath>

Phew!

18 posts in an hour! That sure was one post to invite attention, eh? Very Happy
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:31 am
timberlandko wrote:
"bout the only time I could see bein' to the left of Teddy would be in the front seat of a car.

LOL, Timber!

And we all know where we'd end up if we were in the car with ole Tipsy Ted driving - Chappaquiddick!

Take a life preserver. Shocked
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
nimh wrote:
Rick d'Israeli wrote:

nimh ik vroeg me af: ben jij ook echt lid van GroenLinks?

Welzeker ben ik dat. Ik heb me laatst nog sufgefolderd en gekraamd voor de Europese verkiezingen, en bij de laatste Kamerverkiezingen heb ik het folderen in mijn stad gecoordineerd, en bij 2 v/d 3 laatste Amsterdamse demonstraties GL-balonnen opgeblazen ...

Interessant. Wat doe je eigenlijk allemaal als GroenLinks lid? Ik zat er namelijk aan te denken om me ook aan te sluiten bij GroenLinks. Ik zou namelijk graag politiek actief willen worden.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 03:44 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I AM conservative economically, but am extremely liberal socially, probably more so than the average Democrat!.

In Europe, socially speaking you would still be a Conservative Very Happy

True,but we arent in Europe.

Lol! No - but many are - and it ain't true just of Europe.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:00 pm
Rick, heb je een PM'tje gestuurd!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:12 pm
I do not think tuurds - even with two "u"s ought to be discussed here!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:14 pm
Charles II, quite a witty and a learned man, had his fits of temper nonetheless . . . when informed by his sister that the Dutch thought little of his foreign policy, he wrote back that:

"A Dutchman is a turd, and i don't give a turd what a Dutchman thinks."

Them ol' King boys, they could git quite righteous . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:20 pm
What's all this about Saddam gassing turds? Big deal, can't have one without the other, I think.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:22 pm
Always had a lot of respect for Charles II....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:26 pm
<frowns and looks sternly over his glasses>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:34 pm
You know, the Dutch have an unsavory reputation here . . . "going Dutch" means to make the woman pay for half the entertainment, "Dutch uncle" is an unsavory, older companion, "saying Dutch" means giving in because one is a wimp, "Dutch courage" means getting one's courage from a bottle of gin . . . wonder what makes the Dutchers so admired?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:37 pm
Dutch Cleanser?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:38 pm
On the other hand, I just read a book on the brief period that the Dutch ruled NY, or, as it was then known, New Amsterdam. The author speaks highly of their governance, especially as compared with the Puritans slightly to the north.

"The Island at the Center of the World", it's entitled.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:50 pm
Yeah - waaaay more tolerant they were.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:51 pm
come on, i'm tryin' to jerk Habibi's chain, lighten up, will ya ?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:43:37