Is Charles Pickering the replacement for Trent Lott?

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 02:00 pm
Spit out the politician, not your arm.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 04:29 pm
Very Rovian move here, Dys...and I can't imagine that it will be a winner. Just because the mid-term elections caused the Senate to revert to Republican control (and narrowly) does not appear to me a good reason for this boldness. Bold and "in your face", it seems is my first impression. If there is political savvy, I do not see it. Maybe as you say, some others will be breezed through, but it seems that they are arrogant about the minority voter, women's vote, etc. I do not get it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 02:17 pm
The White House and the Republican Party have decided against taking overt steps to make amends for racially charged remarks by Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., because President Bush's aides think he has nothing to apologize for and should not pander, officials said.

Some conservatives are pushing Bush, who condemned remarks Lott made last month about Strom Thurmond's 1948 segregationist presidential campaign, to do more to reach out to blacks. But officials said Bush has made no changes to his upcoming budget and plans no immediate speeches designed to appeal specifically to minorities.

Most significantly, administration officials said Bush may register objections to race-based preferences in the University of Michigan's admissions, which are being reviewed by the Supreme Court in the biggest affirmative-action case in a generation.

From the Star-Tribune via the Washington Post
0 Replies