Is 23 too old to gradaute from college?

doetwin

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 12:57 pm
I entered college 2 years ago at 19 and was screwing around. I didn't take college seriously until about a year ago. I recently got my act together, but it'll be at-least another 2 years before I have my Bachelor's Degree. I'll be 22 years and 9 months old when I get it. Should I be embarrassed about this?

jespah

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 01:04 pm
@doetwin,
I'll be getting my MA at age 53. Don't be embarrassed.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 02:26 pm
@doetwin,
If you remember, the tortoise won the race. It is what one does, after one gets one's education that counts. Getting a degree, or advanced degree, is just a ticket to enter the working world with a certain degree of credentials; beyond that it is one's ability/wisdom to play the game of life well. My opinion only.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 03:01 pm
My first reaction to your question was, "is she or he kidding?"

Learning is life long. In many situations, it can work out for the best that people mature some before knuckling down to ernest studying on subjects that interest them, and some that don't but that they may be glad to understand some time later on. Me, I took five years, working after school and weekends, which we then were not supposed to (hah), and changing majors a scandalous number of times.
Those I majored in or considered seriously? -
Bacteriology/Zoology
English
Political Science
Psychology
Bacteriology aka Microbiology

So glad I didn't pick psych. Think of all the constructs I'd have had to learn and discard over the next fifty years.
neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 04:02 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
. . . .So glad I didn't pick psych. Think of all the constructs I'd have had to learn and discard over the next fifty years.
Heh. Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 04:51 pm
@neologist,
Very Happy

Actually, that was a little late in the game; I'd already taken many science classes, and I found the studies I was taught in physiologic psych sloppy (whether I was right or wrong or what they were about, I don't remember), and went back to science. This was early sixties.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 05:48 pm
How do we know it is a repetitive post, thus not answer? I admit it sounded familiar.

Links?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 09:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Sloppy is the word for the field of psychology.
Yet so many in our day rely on it.
0 Replies

healthyhappymind

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 02:00 am
@doetwin,
Definitely don't be embarrassed. I thought I was really old when I started Uni at 20... I now realise that was nonsense. I returned to Uni at 40 to do my Masters degree, and I have a friend starting her PhD at 55.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 02:11 am
Maybe I'm asking the obvious, but isn't that the normal age when people graduate from college for a 4 year degree? 22 or 23?
Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:44 am
@chai2,
Yes - if you start right after high school - most high school students graduate at age 17 or 18 - typical 4 year college is just that 4 years so if you go straight away to college you will most likely graduate 21 or 22. Although it is not uncommon to graduate a year later often times due to taking less classes a semester or two for a lighter load or if you change your major you might have to pick a few extra classes to graduate with that degree.

Also, many recent high school graduates are unsure what they want to do later in life and decide to take a year to work or volunteer prior to making a committment like a four year college. Some for similar reasons opt to go to a community college (2 year college) and decide after to pursue the four degree - sometimes this requires taking some extra course that maybe will not transfer from the 2 year college. Many reasonable reasons why someone would finish in what you would consider a year later.

So at 23 it is perfectly reasonable to graduate from a four year college.
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:54 am
@Linkat,
Agreed linkie.

I was wondering why everyone was giving all this advice about don't give up, keep on learning all your life etc.

I guess the fact the OP was going to be 22 years and 9 months old when graduating was too much to take in, rather than being 21 years and 11 months.
Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:57 am
@chai2,
I am a failure - I was always one of the oldest in my class... I graduated from college at 22 and 5+ months old.
roger

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 11:23 am
@doetwin,
You can graduate at 23, put it off and do it when you are older, or not graduate at all. Notice I spelled graduate correctly, unlike your title.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 11:31 am
@doetwin,
For me, 23 was too young.

I goofed off my first try at college. I did poorly. I quit. I got a job. I worked for several years. I hit a ceiling and then went back in my late twenties. I earned my Bachelor's degree at age 29 (and went on from there). I think I got a lot more out of college because I had already lived life a little and was ready to be serious.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 02:29 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I am a failure - I was always one of the oldest in my class... I graduated from college at 22 and 5+ months old.

Did you go up to the stage to get your diploma with a walker, or a wheelchair?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 02:57 pm
Apparently we have an obsessive type person here, maybe with different names.

I'm not clear that data answers will help. Or maybe none of us get it.

On the matter of life long learning, why make fun of it? Is it funny?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 03:38 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Did you go up to the stage to get your diploma with a walker, or a wheelchair?

I was 27 - it took me 10 years. Razz And I thought I would never get there. I would stop and work...go back...stop and work...go back...fail a couple of classes...take them over again...

But baby...I got that degree.

I probably should have had a walker or a wheelchair - compared to all the young'uns around me. Wink
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 03:39 pm
@chai2,
No wonder they are reaching out to me for assisted living.
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 08:12 pm
@Linkat,
Laughing

Good one.
0 Replies