indefinite break

khernan

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 10:55 am
Hi everyone. I have been with my current boyfriend for the last year, and things have been generally good between us with the exception of a few bad arguments. Our fights go down something along the lines of: he refuses to communicate or address any issues within the relationship, to the point where he gives me the silent treatment or simply says hes "done with this conversation" and then proceeds to get up and walk away right in the middle of me speaking. This, in turn, incites feelings of rage and helplessness in me, as I cannot understand why he is so focused on having ultimate power and dismissing me entirely. He is so concerned with being right and using tactics to "punish me" that I don't see this as a mutual love at all but a sick infatuation with keeping someone emotionally starving for your attention. So, to keep this short, we have always had issues communicating. When he decides to cut me off I feel terrible and have the tendency to lose my temper and raise my voice because I'm just so frustrated and I know its wrong but nothing feels more hurtful than being blatantly ignored by your partner when they know you're hurting. Hes been slowly exhibiting behaviors that reflect a loss of interest, but because I am cut off or shut up everytime I try to address something, nothing ever gets resolved !!!! This relationship has turned into a power struggle. I feel that he is looking for any excuse to start a fight and comfortably transition into letting me go. I took one hour to respond to his text the other day because i was swimming, and I communicated that to him, yet I suppose he expected me to answer at his beck and call even while under water. He claims that this just showed him how little I cared about him, that I'm unbelievable, etc etc. Then called me to say he wants to take a break. He said "we should talk in person to discuss this" but he still wanted a break. I respect his request for space and ask the nex t day if I could come retrieve my laptop I had left there. He said fine. When i got there and asked if we could talk, he was lying in his bed watching Netflix and laughing and completely ignoring me again. Then the vicious cycle ensued -- I lost my temper and started yelling and slamming doors, whatever it would take to get his attention, childish I know. I calmed myself down a bit in the other room and came back. I apologized for yelling, and then asked if he could please at least tell me why he was calling this break and what exactly it would entail. I asked for how long would this be? What Is the reason? How is this different than a breakup? He played on his phone the whole time and explained that the break is so "I can learn to appreciate him" and that it is indefinite and he will talk to me again whenever he feels like it. To me this feels degrading and torturous. He said he doesn't want to see me or talk to me. My question is -- is this fair to me? He has shown zero respect and I strongly feel he might lack the maturity to just be honest and admit that maybe he has fallen out of love. Maybe he is looking for any excuse to cut ties, and by treating me so hurtfully he hopes that I will just do the dirty work for him and call it quits. At this point I do feel like separating permanently because I dont deserve to have my feelings toyed with so frequently. Also I have a history of childhood sexual abuse which he loves to point out as me being the "fucked up one with all the issues". I still have a lot of important belongings at his house and im trying to decide how to approach that. I want to avoid communicating and I still have a key to his apartment which I also need to give back. Do I just text him to let him know I am getting my things? And then refuse to talk? What can i do to resolve this situation and move on from this like it was a bad dream? I dont think any self respecting woman should sit around and have to wait for a guy to decide whether or not he loves her. I also am not"learning to appreciate" during this time off, I am simply learning how to exist without him. Am I wrong for thinking you should never punish your partner?? What do I do to assert this, that I am not stooping to that level, without communicating? What rules am I supposed to be playing by during this break? Someone help me to keep my dignity while gracefully leaving this manipulative situation! I feel totally devastated that someone who claimed to love me is behaving this way. Help, advice, or insight all welcomed. Please let me know. Thank you !!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 770 • Replies: 0
No top replies