Republicans dip freedom fries in "W Ketchup", not Hienz

Col Man

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:55 pm
for all you 'evil' americans Laughing

WASHINGTON, (AFP) - Americans allergic to the subtle Democratic flavor of Heinz ketchup can now plunge their "freedom fries" into a 100-percent guaranteed, patriotic alternative: "W Ketchup."

"You don't support Democrats. Why should your ketchup?" says the W Ketchup Internet site wketchup.com, which promises a totally US-made condiment, right down to the bottle.

Heinz ketchup is an institution on American dining tables.

But the taste has soured a little for Republicans because Heinz empire heiress Teresa Heinz-Kerry is married to John Kerry, the Democrat hoping to unseat George W. Bush -- also known simply as "W" -- on November 2.

W Ketchup insists its initial stands for Washington, as in first president George Washington, whose face adorns its bottle beneath the Stars and Stripes.

The new-comer makes no attempt to hide its leanings, even sporting a poetic homage to Republican icon Ronald Reagan, who died June 5 at 93, on its Internet site.

"G5s (Gulfstream jets) or GIs? A Tough Choice," W. Ketchup tells prospective customers.

"Choose Heinz and you're supporting Teresa and her husband's Gulfstream Jet, and liberal causes such as Kerry for President," it warns.

"When you choose W Ketchup, you also support the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund, which provides scholarships to the children of our brave heroes who have fallen in battle."

Heinz has 57 varieties, but also 57 foreign factories, it claims.

"W Ketchup comes in one flavor: American."

"We are simply a group of friends who came up with the idea at a barbecue in upstate New York a few months ago. We are all investors," said W Ketchup chief operating officer Susie Oliver.

Thousands of bottles had been sold in the three and a half weeks of business, she said. Orders are taken in batches of four bottles for 12 dollars plus shipping.

Testimonials on the company's Internet site are glowing for the Republican-style ketchup.

"Thank you for giving us a delicious American alternative to the standard Heinz Ketchup. Henry Heinz may have been a great American, but I have absolutely no interest in supporting The Kerry's anti-American causes," wrote "S.S" of Akron, Ohio.

Heinz says it is non-partisan, stressing that all the Heinz family trusts together hold less than four percent of the stock. Neither Teresa Heinz, nor her husband, have any role in management, it stresses.

The ketchup war is only the latest political skirmish to be fought on the battlegound of American menus.

Many Americans, angered by France's refusal to back the war in Iraq, switched last year to calling their French fries "freedom fries."

Star Spangled Ice Cream was also launched last year as a conservative alternative to the produce of Ben and Gerry's, the ecology-leaning company whose founders Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield had supported Democrat Dennis Kucinich's unsuccessful campaign for the presidential nomination.

Among the flavors offered by Star Spangled Ice Cream: "I Hate The French VANILLA (Real American Vanilla, NOT French Vanilla)" and "Nutty Environmentalist (Rich Buttery Ice Cream with Roasted Pecans)."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,395 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:04 pm
But is it a vegetable?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:06 pm
no but i hear the republicans are vegetables Wink
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:14 pm
Is it 10w30?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:20 pm
American vanilla? that ought to be good Confused

hmmmmm, and given where the ketchup gang is located, I think someone better find out where the tomatoes are coming from.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:00 pm
the tomatoes will come from south america i reckon
i was there recently and they were all moaning that the usa was taking all their tomatoes for ketchup Smile

im sure as well because south america has got the word 'america' in it and thus is technically american Wink
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:02 am
How childish Rolling Eyes

I'm surprised it wasn't called "Freedom Ketchup".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:19 am
I don't even know where to start....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:21 am
However, I thought the comments page was pretty funny:

http://www.wketchup.com/comments/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:34 am
Given the substantial international "footprint" which H J Heinz enjoys, i'm sure this elicited a big yawn at corporate headquarters . . .
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:41 am
Ketchup should be all-American, and that means Republican of course. :wink:

"He who shakes the ketchup bottle, shakes the world."- H J Hines
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:35 am
"W Ketchup comes in one flavor: American."

Best line.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:25 pm
Proof that this is a Conservative plot to eradicate Liberals: http://www.nutritionreporter.com/fructose_dangers.html

Check the label of W Ketchup. It contains high fructose corn syrup.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:27 pm
Brand X wrote:
Is it 10w30?

Oh boy, groat cakes! Heavy on the thirty-weight!

(Hey, Dyslexia, where are you? I shouldn't have to do this!)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:54 pm
They will always have Hunt's Ketchup. Myself, I like Heinz ketchup and it will remain my ketchup of choice. I refuse to let politics come between me and my freedom fries.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:21 pm
hahahaha i recommend the wketchup comments page too....that is funny Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:43 pm
I rarely use ketchup anymore, but I'm hooked on Heinz 57 sauce for burgers and steaks. I also add honey and use it for sweet bar b que sauce. Don't make me give up my Heinz Sad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:08 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I refuse to let politics come between me and my freedom fries.

LOL!
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:10 pm
I don't remember what I have...probably a store-brand.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 01:59 pm
I don't know how both the Republicans, the Democrats and other political parties can be so... childish... to get some votes by, among others, discredit your opponents. Politics is a game, yes. But America is the most powerful country in the world. In a country like that, being so f*cking childish during the race towards elections is just.... bah!
0 Replies