Lawyers As A Big Source of Edward's Campaign Funds

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:49 am
Quote:
Will you guys admit you hate this administration and therefore no matter what they do, you will see it as wrong?

No, because that just plain isn't true.

Even as a (mostly) democrat I still hold out hope that our admin could do the right thing, in any number of circumstances.... it's a foolish hope, my head tells me.

I think that terror alerts such as this are just another smoke and mirror job. They detract from what we REALLY should be doing to protect CITIZENS from terror - upping our local response abilities, properly training police, fire, and emergency service personnel, and seriously beefing up our intelligence networks. Vague, half-informed suppositions of 'terror' coming our way do more harm than good.

But it allows them to say they are doing 'something' about terrorism. Never mind the fact that what they are doing has no positive effects whatsoever other than to scare people and justify the existence of the OHS. The problem is, making ACTUAL progress on American, local security takes money. Money that the states don't have, thanks to the massive cuts in funding, thanks to the Iraq war, which will probably start more terrorism, which we won't be prepared for....

I don't hate the admin (completely). But I will not stand by like an IDIOT and say that what they are doing is actually effective, when it so clearly is not.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:56 am
They are not taking it seriously because they are not acting in a serious manner, as PDiddie pointed out. We can safely assume that al quaeda will attempt to replicate their success of 9/11. But these constant false warnings based on no evidence do nothing raise anxiety levels in general and dull peoples attitudes towards the warnings. When a real warning is given, most people will probably ignore it
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:59 am
Foxfyre wrote:
So, if Cheney is in fact the GOP vice-presidiential candidate, we'll have two lawyers going against two businessmen. So, if all other things are equal, who do you want leading the country? Lawyers, even personal injury attorneys? Or businessmen?

I'd want the business men to run the USA. Cool
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:59 am
Why is it that every time they issue a warning, the libs get their panties in a bunch about it being worthless?

Why is it that every time they issue a warning I must remind the libs that it is not neccessarily for the public so much as for officials and law enforcement personnel?

I just don't get why it's so hard to understand...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:00 pm
Tell me, what are the officials and law enforcement going to DO now that they have the warning, McG?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:02 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
So, if all other things are equal, who do you want leading the country? Lawyers, even personal injury attorneys? Or businessmen?

Bush and Cheney aren't just "businessmen". Their corrupt businessmen. That makes a big difference to me (and to many others). The choices they've made with Halliburton, Enron, etc leave a really nasty taste in my mouth. I'll take the lawyers, thankyouverymuch!

Lawyers are the most despised of all professions, today. I wonder why.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:03 pm
Be aware of it. That's a silly question Cycloptichorn.

Would you rather another blindsided attack?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:05 pm
Tell me how they are going to be MORE aware now that they heard this announcement, then they were supposedly being before. I mean, we're ALREADY on an 'elevated' threat alert color-code thingy, right?

And don't be vague. I want real, tangible results of the announcement. Specific actions that are taken. Because you know what? I don't think there are any.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:09 pm
You rightwngnuts are trying to turn the fact that "ambulance chasers" are helping to finance Edwards into a negative, but find it all right that the religious right loonies and moonies are huge contributors to lil george.....and you're not even slick enough to try and hide it...your arrogance and hypocrisy are astounding IMO......
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:11 pm
Well let's see, before this announcement some officials may not have known what the chatter was. Now, after the announcement, they are MORE aware of what it was.

I think you just need something to complain about. If they didn't do these announcements, the left would complain that nothing is being done and the administration is too secretive. It's a no-win situation with the left.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:15 pm
My above post tells you what we would rather have than your dog-and-pony show:

Emphasis added:
Quote:
I think that terror alerts such as this are just another smoke and mirror job. They detract from what we REALLY should be doing to protect CITIZENS from terror - upping our local response abilities, properly training police, fire, and emergency service personnel, and seriously beefing up our intelligence networks. Vague, half-informed suppositions of 'terror' coming our way do more harm than good.

But it allows them to say they are doing 'something' about terrorism. Never mind the fact that what they are doing has no positive effects whatsoever other than to scare people and justify the existence of the OHS. The problem is, making ACTUAL progress on American, local security takes money. Money that the states don't have, thanks to the massive cuts in funding, thanks to the Iraq war, which will probably start more terrorism, which we won't be prepared for....

It's not a no-win situation. It's just that your half-assed solutions don't do any real tangible good for anyone. They do, however, provide excellent media opportunities.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
Okay we're on record that Cyclop (and others) don't want to hear about terrorist threats. That's fair. Just avoid watching and don't listen. Don't pay any attention to the instructions about how to spot a suicide bomber in the airport or shopping mall or what might be out of place or suspicious. If you don't believe the threat is real, just ignore it all.
We weren't getting terrorist threats before 9/11 and that was bad apparently. But now it's different and terrorist threats are bad.

Meanwhile, I want to know. I want to be able to read about them and hear about them and be as informed as possible. How does that hurt you?
0 Replies

Springgrl

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:01 pm
It seems like this has broken into two arguments:

1. Are Lawyers bad for politics in general? Are they better than businessmen?

Knowing about the law and how it is enforced is a big part of the job of governing - hence a lot of politicians are former lawyers. However, a good businessman must also know about law to get things done. Both Lawyers and Businessmen can be corrupted by money (so can waitresses or bank managers or any profession). This is a total push to me and should not be a knock on Edwards unless it can be proven that he has a pattern of unethical behavior.

AND

2. Are the Terror Alerts useful or just propaganda tools for the administration?

I cannot see how these announcements help up preparedness if they don't give at least vague details...(We think they may strike an airport, We think they might be targeting the north east..etc)

All law enforcement should be aware of the threat of terrorism since 9/11. New information should be valued highly and reported when possible but if there is no new specific threat, why bother announcing it?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:03 pm
welocme springgrl and what a great post...sensible.....I couldn't agree more...you'll probably be punished for it... Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:05 pm
Welcome to A2K springgrl.

And you bring up a good point. If there is no new specific threat, why bring it up?

The announcement by Ridge didn't give any information on what any citizen should do, at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:41 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The announcement by Ridge didn't give any information on what any citizen should do, at all.

Continuing in this vein, even though it's off-topic (sorry about that)...

Craven, in another thread, wrote:
Every since I heard they had his general location down this year I've been mulling a timed Osama delivery for the elections.

Count me amongst the howling skeptics. See, I will have as much problem with this as I do Ridge's panic attack today.

And, like, a realllly big problem if they decide to cancel elections on account of terrorist attack.

As a matter of fact, let's take a look at the Department of Homeland Security: What is its purpose? And further, what does the alert system accomplish? (This is going to have a bit of a free-associative quality about it. Sorry about that, too. I've got thoughts bubbling out of my head 90 to nothing today.)

Does anyone think that the average citizen of this country can do anything about an impending terror attack from a well-financed group of international terrorists?

Don't we have to work? Don't we need to "put food on our family?" Don't we need to keep feeding the engine of our consumer economy?

Don't you think that this administration knows that?

Doesn't something on the order of 40% of our tax dollars already go to defense?

So why do I need to buy duct tape and plastic sheeting?

I don't have any anti-terrorist qualifications. I can sell the Cheney out of an annuity, but if Mr. Saalem bin-Extremist makes a run at my home, about the only response I'd have is "Just wait until the federal government gets here, buddy!"

And don't give me that Shiite about being vigilant. Vigilance begins at our borders, our ports, and our airports.

If I have to take up the fight against terrorists, toe to toe, then why do I pay so much of my income to someone else to do it? And if that's what needs to be done, then don't flash a yellow signal on the TV screen only to tell me you don't have any "specific information that you can share with the public".

"Just be wary, and be vigiliant..."

Oh. I should be afraid, I guess. I'll just let the government do what it needs to do...

Riiiight.

What's the point? What purpose does the "Terror Alert" serve the general population?

There is NO benefit to us, the citizens.

The purpose of the Homeland Security Department is to disseminate information to the other law enforcement and security agencies throughout the country so that they can prepare for and react to an impending attack.

It's SUPPOSED to enable the sharing of relevant information and resources so individual agencies do not duplicate efforts.

As it turns out, that part of their mission statement isn't working out so well. You see, they don't have enough funding.

But guess what? They have a direct line to the media!

And, they can scare the color-coded **** out of us when ever they want to. With zero oversight and zero accountability.

I'm sorry, friends, but the terror alert system is not designed to be a "Consumer Level" security device. It's not "citizen-centric".

But that's the way it's being used.

I know that we'd all like to know from which direction the bad guys are coming so we can duck at the appropriate time.

Sorry, that's not going to happen.

You'll learn about a terrorist attack in 2 ways:

1) You're running from it.
2) It's on CNN.
0 Replies

Liberal Goddess

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:45 pm
It is odd that lawyers would support a fellow lawyer, what next? Doctors supporting Doctors? police supporting police?

It's a world gone made

Opensecrets

You can find all contributors and by sector here.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:00 pm
Welcome to A2K Liberal Goddess

The problem with statistic such as those on your link is that they tend to obscure as much as they reveal. The gross total would suggest that the republicans were the major beneficiaries of Enron's largess. But particularly with Congress it is who you contribute to not the total that is significant. As one of Foxfyer's post revealed at least one important Democratic Senator was the recipient of Enron money and his subsequent public positions on energy tended to follow the Enron line.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Welcome to A2K Liberal Goddess

The problem with statistic such as those on your link is that they tend to obscure as much as they reveal. The gross total would suggest that the republicans were the major beneficiaries of Enron's largess. But particularly with Congress it is who you contribute to not the total that is significant. As one of Foxfyer's post revealed at least one important Democratic Senator was the recipient of Enron money and his subsequent public positions on energy tended to follow the Enron line.

The website I posted is a bi-partisan site that tracks money to both parties and then divides it into largest contributors etc. So the facts aren't disputable.

I'm sure that Democrats received money from Enron they aren't stupid, but the connections between Bush and Enron just can't be denied. Those connections go much deeper then congressional palm greasing. Ken Lay has been a business partner to Bush and his daddy for years.

aka Liberal Godess

I found out I had signed up a couple of years ago! So I'm back. Laughing
0 Replies

Sagamore

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 11:04 am
Lawyers donating to Edwards--what a shock!!

Why wouldn't people who relate to one another support each other? Look at all the idiots who give money to Bush. You don't see the righties complaining about that, do you? :wink:
0 Replies