Clarence Thomas is a "clown in blackface."

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:25 pm
@Setanta,
No, he should be criticized like everyone else, but I don't know why his race has to be a focus (ie "blackface" and "traitor to his race").
Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:42 pm
@Lash,
Fine, contact George Takei and let him know how offensive you find that. I don't, however, think that general statements suggesting (as it seemed to me) that there is a widespread criticism of Thomas on that basis, are helpful,

I'm not trying to beat up on you, Sofia . . . i guess i just mistook the tenor of your post.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:54 pm
@Lash,
Perhaps people are trying to find an explanation and just resort to labels instead of explaining what their issue is.

My issue with Clarence Thomas as opposed to Condelisa (spell check won't correct it...) Rice and Powell, is that he benefited from some of the minority programs he is against. It just doesn't make sense so people might say traitor to his race but that really don't explain it either. Blackface was just inexcusable no matter how you look at it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:55 pm
I hope I read all the comments carefully because I really hope I'm not taking a firm stance on what is and is not racist. "Traitor to his race" I'm not crazy about but even Justice Thomas used the term "High Tech Lynch mob" during his confirmation. I thought that was a carefully crafted ploy, and he has not proved to be a staunch defender of the disadvantaged regardless of the race.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Hang on a minute. I just rethought my comment and it occurred to me that you never hear that a Caucasian is a credit to their race although I do remember a very ugly thing that was said about white people if they appeared to not disdain other races as much as hard core racists would like.

I truly wish I had a formula to erase racial bias, but I don't.
foundednotlost

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:39 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

No, he should be criticized like everyone else, but I don't know why his race has to be a focus (ie "blackface" and "traitor to his race").

Thomas was expressively chosen because he was black to replace the famous Thurgood Marshall who had been appointed by Lyndon Johnson. The first Bush felt pressure to replace another black in that seat for diversity. In fact, there was growing pressure on him from the African American community to nominate a black. Little did African Americans realize that the then President would select someone like a Clarence Thomas!!! What a disappointment!

The previous black jurist (Marshall) was a champion for Civil Rights and highly respected and admired across the isle. Thomas' race is central to his role in getting that seat and that is the only reason he is on the highest court in the land. He is a great disappointment to the black community and to the average American in general because he works for the Koch brothers; he certainly doesn't work for the American people.
Lash

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:42 pm
@glitterbag,
Exactly!! I don't think his race should enter in. I think it's cool that you thought again. I find myself doing this frequently lately. *hug*
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:46 pm
@foundednotlost,
Bush replaced a civil rights lion with a conservative. THAT should be the narrative in my opinion. Yell at the conservative for his views. Don't drag race in. Anyhoo, that's how I feel.
foundednotlost

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:56 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Bush replaced a civil rights lion with a conservative

Personally, I don't know what the hell Thomas is. Look, I called Thomas by what he is, a black man who is a disappointment to his race. You should hear how I go on about Ted Cruz, John Boehner, and other Tea Party fanatical perverts. But hey, I'm just not in the mood to get you to see or understand my views. I'm content with what I said and you have my respect for you to house your opinions. Have a good life!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 09:46 pm
@foundednotlost,
Quote:
Little did African Americans realize that the then President would select someone like a Clarence Thomas!!! What a disappointment!
Who appointed you spokesperson for 300 million people ? You lefties have congregated here and are supporting each other's opinion .
glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:31 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
Little did African Americans realize that the then President would select someone like a Clarence Thomas!!! What a disappointment!
Who appointed you spokesperson for 300 million people ? You lefties have congregated here and are supporting each other's opinion .

Pardon just a sec, are you a residing US of A citizen?
Ionus

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:33 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Pardon just a sec, are you a residing US of A citizen?
T think you know full well I am not . Where does it say I have to be a USA citizen to express an opinion ? Last time I checked Oz has done a pretty good job of defending freedom .
glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:43 pm
@Ionus,
Yes they have. I'm happy that Aussies defend freedom. But here's a clue my down under friend, citizens here are doing alright, why don't you worry about Aussie politics and keep your nose out of USA business. Nobody really gives a crap unless you can vote here. When was the last time any American on A2K was stupid enough to dictate how Australia should conduct herself? Can't remember, neither can I. Mind your own business my 5 eye pal.
Ionus

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:47 pm
@glitterbag,
When the USA stops being the world leader in economics, freedom and military power I will relinquish my right to criticise or praise the USA . In the meantime, it is a valid point that if someone says the people dont support something or someone, they should say where the information for that came from . Speaking for 300 million people is precarious at best .
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 12:07 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
When the USA stops being the world leader in economics, freedom and military power I will relinquish my right to criticise or praise the USA . In the meantime, it is a valid point that if someone says the people dont support something or someone, they should say where the information for that came from . Speaking for 300 million people is precarious at best .

This is a place where you can express any opinion you like. There is no citizenship requirement.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 11:11 am
@Lash,
It is not just that Clarence Thomas is a conservative, it is that he is against the very program which helped him to get into Yale Law School and would deny it to other minorities which makes the issue of race very important.
engineer

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 12:57 pm
@revelette2,
A friend of mine convinced me to try these tennis strings all the pros were using. A couple of weeks later, we were playing and I had an "on" night, playing great. I came off the court and my friend say "guess those strings really make a difference!" I cut them out and went back to my regular strings. I never want my tennis accomplishments written off because of my strings.

Thomas is pretty clearly anti affirmative action even though everyone says that he's never have gotten into Yale without it. Maybe he doesn't agree and feels that he got there on his own and people use affirmative action to denigrate the accomplishments of black people.

I have no idea why Thomas votes as he votes and as I've said before I don't think he is a good SC justice, but he doesn't have to support affirmative action just because he is black.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:10 pm
@revelette2,
For a moment allow me to act as devils advocate (I'm for AA), I might add):

Perhaps because he saw the injustice and inherent problems of abuse in the affirmative action program on a first hand basis that made him want to oppose it? Whether or not he participated in it or made it possible for him to attend, is not relevant.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:17 pm
Or maybe he believes in the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment. Affirmative action actually is a case of rules specifying that different groups should be treated differently.
Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:19 pm
@Brandon9000,
Although, you could look at this as a case of allowing the existence of a lesser degree of injustice to correct centuries of a major injustice. The admittance of a minority group say into law school just gives an opportunity that didn't exist without it. It's up to the individual to make the most of the opportunity, isn't it? To graduate and/or excel? AA doesn't tilt your grades...you have to earn them.