Olivier5

Thu 30 Jul, 2015 05:15 am
@Foofie,
Certain forms of mental deficiency are inheritable but not something as complex as intelligence, I think. E.g. the popular wisdom on dogs is that pure-bred are often stupider than mongrels, which would indicate that you can't really select a race pf dogs for its intelligence, but you can select it to be stupid (i.e. narrow its gene pool so much that it becomes mentally deficient).

And of course, our intelligence is more complex than dogs'. According to wiki:

Quote:
Intelligence has been defined in many different ways such as in terms of one's capacity for logic, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, learning, emotional knowledge, memory, planning, creativity and problem solving. It can also be more generally described as the ability to perceive information and retain it as knowledge for applying to itself or other instances of knowledge or information, thereby creating referable understanding models of any size, density, or complexity, due to any conscious or subconscious imposed will or instruction to do so.

That's a pretty complex thing, involving many different abilities. The inheritability of any of these singular forms of intelligence is untestable, and the compound effect of their combination even more so.
Foofie

Thu 30 Jul, 2015 10:02 am
@Olivier5,
My education taught that intelligence is inherited from one's family.

glitterbag

Thu 30 Jul, 2015 10:56 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Whoaaaaaa, you got screwed
Foofie

Thu 30 Jul, 2015 02:56 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Whoaaaaaa, you got screwed

Regardless, it is still inherited from one's family!
Olivier5

Thu 30 Jul, 2015 04:38 pm
@Foofie,
I don't know. You see in history many lesser children of great parents. The Bach family, for instance. Or some pretty stupid heirs of very smart kings. One could find genuises born in the dumbest of families.

The answer doesn't need to be yes or no. Racking my brain a bit here... In population genetics -- the science behind artificial selection, largely concerned with how fast and effectively certain desirable characters like milk production are selectable in domestic animals -- there is a factor of inheritability or something... A factor that limits inheritance, from 0% inheritable to 100% inheritable.

Very few physical characters are 100% inheritable. It is around 40% for milk production in cows if memory serves. Meaning a heifer from a productive cow may very easily be notably less productive than her mom. So even a simple metabolic character like milk prod. potential is not easy to inherit; it is not certain at all that daughters cows will inherit the production potential from their mothers (x father = bull).

Likewise, sons and daughters of geniuses are not always genuises themselves.

Is it possible that some basic aspects of intelligence, i.e. a mathematical & logical mind, a capacity for predicting / planning, a particular mental inclination (such as anxious vs. indolent), certain traits of character like that could be (wild guess) at ~ 5 or 10% inheritable?

Meaning that the chances bright parents will breed bright kids exist, but they are low.

Hope that makes sense.
Lash

Thu 30 Jul, 2015 06:55 pm
Twitter is lighting up - about some racial chaos happening in Ferguson. News outlets don't seem to have it. I'll bring eyewitness accounts from Twitter - with you knowing this isn't professionally vetted.

Looks like Town Hall meeting finally opened to public after riots. White and black arguments about mayor turned violent.
Foofie

Fri 31 Jul, 2015 08:24 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

...Meaning that the chances bright parents will breed bright kids exist, but they are low...

There's also the observation that some traits skip a generation, especially in the propensity for an illness/allergy/other trait, including personality. So, intelligence comes from one's prior family, regardless of how far back, in my opinion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 31 Jul, 2015 09:24 am
@Lash,
Quote:
FERGUSON, Mo. (KMOV.com) -
Nobody was injured after a fight broke out between supporters and critics of Ferguson Mayor James Knowles at a meeting Thursday, officials said.

Ferguson officials said supporters of Knowles and those in favor of recalling him were present at a meeting at the Ferguson Community Center when a fight broke out between people in each camp.

Officials said the fight spilled outside. An ambulance was called for a 14-year-old girl with asthma who was having trouble breathing.

http://www.kmov.com/story/29675629/fight-breaks-out-between-knowles-critics-supporters-at-meeting-ferguson-officials-say<br />
0 Replies

Dr Sliptinschit

Wed 8 Jul, 2020 08:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
There is only one race - the human race.

Yet, only Black Lives Matter?
glitterbag

Wed 8 Jul, 2020 08:38 pm
@Dr Sliptinschit,
Unfortunately every so often it's important to remind racists that "Black lives Matter" just like every other life. I hope this helps.
0 Replies