link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,476 • Replies: 27
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:05 am
Yes McGentrix those French sure are wacky aren't they? I mean, what kind of zany country would oppose the war in Iraq and the horror and bloodshed it has created? Yep! France is going to crash headlong into the US and we will probably start a war with them too - oh wait a minute! France has no oil! No reason to attack except the wine and cheese! Never mind!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:37 am
Hmmm.... apparently the point of the article went over your head NickFun.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:43 am
dunno. I believe the anti-French rampade is just not even funny anymore either. Just tiring.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:46 am
Chirac is playing a dangerous game and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it ends up biting him and all of france right in the keister.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:54 am
I can easily imagine a 'more important mission for NATO'. Sudan. But that's another topic. Krauthamer's article(s) are chronically spitefull and exaggerated, written in a black and white vision. Nothing wrong with criticizing France. But, for chrissake, with some reason, otherwise you'll just look plain silly. It is quite funny to see how he accuses France of stubbornness in anti-American sentiments when the whole article is stubbornly anti-French. That's all. There are more valid articles out there to discuss, this one is just worthless.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:57 am
Feh, the French deserve what they get.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:58 am
Chirac is the elected head of state. The French people have opposed the actions of the Bush administrations, which they justifiably see as the unilateral acts of an imperialist hegemon. In expressing opposition to this administration, Chirac displays his faith to his democratic role. Too bad that's offensive to neo-conservatives, who want everyone to roll over for them as they create their thousand year reich. Yes, too bad . . . i cry bitter tears at the thought that the French and their elected head of state might think for themselves and publicly express their thoughts . . . too, too bad . . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:04 am
Setanta is right. It's fashionable for the war monger right to bash the French 'cause they refused to join the dubious "coalition" (another interesting Bush & Co. twisted semantics definition). There is no blind faith amongst the European countries (as Rumsfeld put it, old Europe) -- not isn't that too bad.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:04 am
Yes, yes, Setanta, everyone who agrees with Bush is a nazi and the US is only interested in taking over the world. That's been played to death already. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:09 am
I have not equated the Shrub with Nazis, nor those who agree with him. I have not suggested that the US wants to take over the world--only certain parts of the politically influential population who want hegemony over strategic resources.

None of which has anything to do with what i posted, which is that France is a democracy, the majority of the population of which opposed the war. As the democratically chosen head of state, Chirac has expressed that oppostion. So, McG, alleged democracy for Iraq, but none for France?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:12 am
Setanta wrote:
I have not equated the Shrub with Nazis, nor those who agree with him. I have not suggested that the US wants to take over the world--only certain parts of the politically influential population who want hegemony over strategic resources.

None of which has anything to do with what i posted, which is that France is a democracy, the majority of the population of which opposed the war. As the democratically chosen head of state, Chirac has expressed that oppostion. So, McG, alleged democracy for Iraq, but none for France?

What was this:
Quote:
Too bad that's offensive to neo-conservatives, who want everyone to roll over for them as they create their thousand year reich. Yes, too bad

referring to then? The Roman empire?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:18 am
To the neo-conservative policy, very publicly stated, of gaining hegemony over those parts of the world which they consider to be in our strategic interest. A hegemon, McG, is one who does not care to conquer a nation, but rather to be content with controlling that nation. That is why i referred to the unilateral acts of an imperialist hegemon.

If you want to contend that i am playing a game of semantics, note that the reference was to neo-conservatives, and not to the Shrub. But you introduced the term Nazi, probably from your overdeveloped sense of political paranoia . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:23 am
Your use of "thousand year reich" implies a relation to the third reich, Nazi Germany. Otherwise, I am sure that someone with the vast vocabulary that you have would have chosen a better phrase to make their meaning clear. By choosing that particular phrase you equated being a neo-conservative to being a nazi, something that is quite familiar on A2K.

Neo-coservatism has been quite tightly bound to Bush as well on A2K. If you are referencing some other reich, I would be glad to hear about it.

Otherwise, you have merely Godwinned another thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:30 am
The Project for a New American Century has cleared laid out plans to project American military power to "protect strategic interests." The rest of the world keeps itself informed about such ideas, and are well aware of the origin of many of the Shrubs policies. I am happy to equate the PNAC with the Nazis, mainly because there are no Nazis where i live to protest the slur against them.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:31 am
Who cares about the french? Of course they opposed the war, they were getting oil from saddam at a good price, but too bad, they don't have the power or authority to stop the US from liberating Iraq.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
Right. U.S. will liberate Iraq, whether Iraq likes it or not! Hooray.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:26 am
You mean whether Saddam likes it or not as most Iraqi's remain quite grateful for being liberated.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:37 am
McGentrix wrote:
You mean whether Saddam likes it or not as most Iraqi's remain quite grateful for being liberated.

Another assertion of belief thats not backed up much by reality ...

Quote:
the main findings of the poll, which was commissioned by the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) last month and which was leaked yesterday, reveal that only 2 per cent of the Iraqis polled in mid-May see coalition troops as liberators, while 92 per cent said they were occupiers. [..] The coalition's confidence rating in May stood at 11 per cent, down from 47 per cent in November, while the troops themselves had the support of only 10 per cent.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:44 am
I didn't say they were happy about American troops being there, now did I?
0 Replies