Application Q: o.k. to call your current employer?

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:25 pm
Shocked I am applying for a new job while still employed. It is a county job and I really want it. But if it does not work out I do not want to loose my current job. On the application it ask if it is o.k. to call your current employer. I do not want him to know that I am applying for a new job. I will give him proper notice if I get the job, I just want to make sure I have it first. Please help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,055 • Replies: 7
No top replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 05:06 pm
I've had this problem too, Ralph. Just say no, and if you have the opportunity, explain why. Or maybe there is somebody at your job whom you can have them contact besides your boss?
I've done both, and I still got the jobs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 05:08 pm
ralph maya- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

It's very simple. Just let the county know that you don't want your present employer contacted. It is not an unreasonable request. There is no reason that your employer needs to know that you are looking around. It might affect your present position, if you don't get the other one.

Good Luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 07:24 pm
Or, if possible, say yes, but only after employed by the new employer.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:01 pm
The question is there because it's a 50/50 toss-up as to whether or not you are leaving unbeknownst to your current employer or you are being let go (or leaving) and your employer knows all about it.

Just say "No" . They won't hold it against you unless they are totally whacked.
0 Replies

maya

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:41 am
Just tell the place you are applying what what the story is. You can give other references.
0 Replies

DadeCounty

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:01 pm
Ok here it is in plain facts
Just answer the question to your advantage not your present employers as I always say yes contact em because I really do not care if my current boss knows .......... they should pay me like they are suppose to then I would not be looking else where ............ But thats just me ,I never met anyone that got fired for looking for a way to better themself Have you ?

MODERATOR EDIT: Link Removed IAW Terms of Service
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:27 am
I always answer yes and then add after first notifying me. Usually what the employer will do is just call your present company to verify your employment. I have always answered in this fashion and typically what happens is the company will call all your references first and then after offering you the position, they follow up, just to verify you worked there. I do not choose "no" as this may appear that you are hiding something. As this is on the application you may not end up discussing it in the interview.
0 Replies