Copa América 2004-Football (Soccer)-Virtual Tour of Peru

fbaezer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:29 am
Copa América, the continental football championship, starts today. The Colombian champions face Venezuela, and the Peruvian hosts play against Bolivia.

The 12 participants are divided in three groups:

Group A: Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Venezuela,
Group B: Argentina, Mexico, Uruguay, Ecuador
Group C: Brazil, Paraguay, Costa Rica, Chile

Brazil will play without their big stars. Their main players are Julio César (Flamengo), Mancini (Roma-ITA), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen-ALE), Bordon (Stuttgart-GER). Luisao (Benfica-POR), Edú (Arsenal-ENG), Kleberson (Manchester United-ENG), Julio Baptista (Sevilla-SPA), Adriano (Inter-ITA), Ricardo Oliveira (Valencia-SPA) and Vagner Love (Palmeiras)

Argentina, instead, wants badly to regain the title, and called every one. Their main players are: Abbondanzieri (Boca Juniors). Ayala (Valencia- SPA), Heinze (Manchester United- ENG), Quiroga (Wolfsburg - GER), Coloccini (Milan - ITA), Zanetti (Inter- ITA), Placente (Bayer Leverkusen-GER), Sorín (París Saint Germain- FRA), Cristian González (Inter- ITA), D´Alessandro (Wolfsburg- GER), Tevez (Boca Juniors), Saviola (Barcelona, ESP) and César Delgado (Cruz Azul - MEX).

Mexico is supposed to be the other serious contender. Its most known players are Márquez (Barcelona - SPA) and Torrado (Sevilla - ESP).

Paraguay will play with their Olympic team. The one who eliminated Brazil.

Costa Rica has a new coach, after firing American Steve Samson, who almost got them eliminated in the first round of World Cup qualifiers (they passed over Cuba only because they scored more goals as visitors).

Uruguay and Ecuador will play with practically the same teams that were eliminated in the first round of the World Cup 2002

Venezuela is on the rise, while Bolivia, Chile and Colombia are considered to be not at their best moment -even if Colombia's club, Once Caldas, won recently the Libertadores Cup (the Latin American equivalent of the Champions League).

Peru, finally, has home advantage, and was favored in the draw. But it doesn't have much more.

---

I know this Cup will not have the following of Eurocup. But it will be fun, at least in this side of the world.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,099 • Replies: 87
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:40 am
I will follow Walter Hinteler's beautiful Tour de France example, and post pictures of the places the games will be held in.

Today's game are played in Lima, the Peruvian capital, dubbed "the Horrible One" by Salazar Bondy, one of Peru's most famous writers:

http://www.andes.org.uk/andes-information-files/lima-balconies.jpg

http://www.deloziers.com/graphics/vac/lima4t.jpg

The balconies are Lima's nicest asset. It is a coastal city, facing the Pacific, right where the cold current touches land.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:41 am
And I can't see games anywhere on 150 f***ing channels I have Sad(

Last Copa America was LIVE even on one Croatian TV station, now nobody seems to care
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:50 am
Lima is great, but it would be even better if you find some pics of other towns Wink
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:51 am
and I just noticed funny thing - 3rd place game will be held in Cuzco, and that is the ONLY game that will be played there. That's odd Very Happy

Oh, by the way - GO VENEZUELA Smile
I just want them to finally do something, they are only South American team without absolutely any success in history.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:14 am
I'll post pics of different cities, as games are played there.

I think they chose Cuzco for only one game, and not a key one, because of the altitude: 2750 mts, about 11600 ft over sea level. Only Bolivians, Peruvians and Mexicans are used to such thin air.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 06:23 pm
First game: Colombia 1, Venezuela 0.
A game in slow motion, better than valium for insomniacs.
My Own Username would be quite angry at the referee. Colombia´s goal was a disputable penalty kick. Venezuela had a goal annuled because of a disputable off-side.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
Peru 2, Bolivia 2. Very nice game.

Peru was very open and failed many chances. Bolivia had a 2-0 advantage (their second goal was absolutely incredible: if he had tried it another hundred times, he would have failed at least 99 of them), but the Peruvians tied in the last five minutes.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:12 am
Today, MEXICO-Uruguay and Argentina-Ecuador.

Both games will be held in the city of Chiclayo, 640 Km, north of Lima.

http://www.regionlambayeque.gob.pe/guia/images/cix02.jpg

Chiclayo is the capital of the northern coastal Lambayeque province, it was the region in which the conquistadores lead by Pizarro found the best pieces of Inca gold.

Now it's reknown for its good food.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:29 pm
Mexico 2, Uruguay 2.

Not a good match. Mexico was on command most of the game, but its defense was somehow sleepy. In a cornerkick Montero (Juventus-ITA) scored the tying goal for Uruguay on the 87th minute.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:30 pm
Argentina 6, Ecuador 1.

Impressive show by Argentina. They scored 5 goals in the second half, but played even better during the first half!
Hat trick by Saviola (Barcelona-ESP)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:01 am
Today's matches, Brazil-Chile and Paraguay-Costa Rica are held in Arequipa, Peru's second largest city.

It took me a while to find something "touristy" for Arequipa, "the white city of eternal blue skies"

It's protected by Misti, the vulcano in which "Juanita", the famous mummies was found.

http://www.aqplink.com/arequipa/misti02.jpg

This is Santa Catalina's convent

http://www.druehl.com/images/Reisen/Peru/063%20Arequipa%20Santa%20Catalina.JPG

This is a view of the city.

http://www.jttk.zaq.ne.jp/baapu408/arequipa.jpg

Arequipa is at a high altitude, 2,350 mts (a litlle less than 1.5 miles high). It is known for being very active politically.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:32 am
Yesterday's results (I didn't see the games, so I can't analyse):

Brasil 1, Chile 0
Paraguay 1, Costa Rica 0
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:47 am
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on the Copa, fbaezer. I especially like your idea of sharing photographs of the towns, Arequipa looks awesome. Someday I'd love to tour South America.

I'm wondering about all these tied games. Haven't watched a lot of soccer lately, but I've seen a few games being decided by penalty shots. Who chooses when that happens? It is confusing to me. I've added a link to the following website... guess I'll look through it and see if I can find an answer to my question.

COPA 2004 Website

And Good Luck to Mexico in your next match with Argentina. It's got to feel a little scary after their big win. Gotta tighten up that defense!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:18 am
Hi Piffka, thanks for your comments.

Penalty shots are used as a tie breaker only in the face-to-face elimination phase of tournaments.

If the 90 minutes match ends with a draw, then -depending on the tournament rules- there are 4 possibilities:

1. The teams go directly for penalty shots (5 shots each team, if the scored is still tied, then it's "sudden death": 1 shot per team, until a difference is made).
This is used, for example, in Copa Libertadores, the international Club tournament for Latin America

2. "Golden Goal". The teams play two additional extra times of 15 minutes each, but at the moment a goal is scored, the scoring team wins. If there is no golden goal, the winner is decided by penalty shots.
This was used in the last two or three World Cups.

3. "Silver Goal". Same as the golden goal, but the 15 minute extra time is played until completion. If a team scored in the 7th minute of the first extra time, it has to hold the advantage for another 8 minutes. If there is a draw after the 2 additional periods, teams go to penalty shots.
This was used in the recent Eurocup 2004.

4. Normal extra-time. Two periods of 15 minutes are fully played. If there is a draw after the 2 additional periods, teams go to penalty shots.
This is used in Copa América 2004.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:11 pm
Today games, Colombia-Bolivia and Peru-Venezuela are being held in Lima.

Peru is a very centralized nation. Lima is powerful, the provinces are weak. And this has been a source of political conflict.

In Lima you can visit Museo del Oro, the Museum of Gold, where many of the Inca treasures ripped by the conquistadores are shown.

http://www.perutrip.net/peru_images/lima_kero_1.gif

The first black Catholic Saint of the Americas is Peruvian. San Martin de Porres:

http://www.aciprensa.com/cards/porres.gif

Peru's centralism is intertwined with racial elements. 12% of Peruvians are white, 32% indigenous (mostly Quéchua and Aymara), 9% black and 47% are cholos or mestizos (mixed).
Most whites inhabit the coast, while most indigenous people inhabit the Andean sierra and the high plains. And the coast has been always favored in many senses.
Until the 80s, people were classified by race, like in the US, a very strange thing in Latin America.
Since de facto discrimination is common, race was used as an effective idelogical weapon by the terrorists of Sendero Luminoso (Shining Path) in the 80s.
Race was also important in elections. One of the reasons Alberto Fujimori, a son of Japanese emigrants, was elected in 1990 and 1995, is that he is not white. He was called "el Chinito" (the little Chinaman), and somehow stood as 'neutral' in the racial feud.
Peru's President Alejandro Toledo, is the son of a zambo cholo (mixture of black, indian and white) bricklayer and a mestiza maid. He was born in the Andean regions and lived in extreme poverty... but won a scholarship given by the US Peace Corps, and was educated in San Francisco and Harvard. He is married to a Belgian anthropologist.

http://www.agenciaperu.com/archivo/toledo3.jpg

This is a picture of young Toledo, during his hippie days.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:10 pm
Thanks for the explanation of the tie-breakers, fbaezer. I'm surprised that there are so many kinds. And thanks, also, for the interesting Tour de Peru. What a fascinating history Peru has had. I hope there will be more archeological research into the Moches and their pyramids.

I especially LOVE that the Peruvian president was a hippie. Does he try to hide that as almost any official in the USA would?

I've been trying to figure out if the Argentine-Mexico game will be shown on my cable TV. Univision is the most likely channel -- but I can't find it listed for tomorrow.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:51 pm
Piffka wrote:

I especially LOVE that the Peruvian president was a hippie. Does he try to hide that as almost any official in the USA would?

Not exactly. "Mine was the hippie generation. I wore long hair", said Toledo in an interview in "Caretas", one of Peru's most influential magazines, during his campaign. And, of course, he supplied the picture I posted.

I must add that now he is very unpopular.
He didn't deliver the goodies he promised.

---

As for the Argentina-Mexico match, yes Piffka, you can watch it live on Univision, Saturday 17:30 Pacific Standard Time (20:30 EST). At least that's what their internet site says.

The Copa America games are being transmitted either by Univision or by TeleFutura. A special program about Copa America is transmitted every night by Galavision at 11:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:20 pm
Thanks, fb. I receive UNIP (Univision) on two channels. I seem to have a persistent ability to misread the tv lineups, but it is just as you say, I'll get to see Copa América live at 5:30pm tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it!

As for President Toledo -- He doesn't look like a hippie now. Very distinguished and fully suited. I've been reading about him and it seems the same complaints of corruption that plagued Fujimori are being said about him. It is sad that he isn't faring better since he's the first indian ever elected to such a high office. I would have hoped he'd rise above personal gain -- but either he didn't or else he has powerful enemies. I also think that if there is a lot of corruption in a government that it would be difficult for one person to clear it out.

Very weird that he is staying in Spain for the entire Copa though. That's a long visit.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:27 pm
Perhaps Toledo doesn't want rotten tomatoes in his face, if he appears at the stadium.

Colombia 1, Bolivia 0

(just saw a small part of the game, it seems like the Bolivians tried to imitate Greece, but couldn't).

Colombia is the first team to qualify for the quarter-finals.
0 Replies