Wearing red to make a point

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:06 pm
I got this email from a friend:

When Norway was occupied by Germany in 1940, Norwegian women began to knit RED caps for children as a way of letting everyone know that they did not like what was happening in their country. The result was that whenever Norwegians left their homes - to go to the store, to work, etc, they could see that the majority opposed what was going on in their country.

Many of us strongly oppose what this administration has done and we need to recognize each other very easily so we can see that thinking people are still the majority.

Please wear RED every Friday between now and election day. Wear a little or a lot-- just be sure that when you leave your house to go about your day -- to work, to school, to the store, to the gas station, wherever you go in your daily routine -- that everyone who sees you will see tha! t you are wearing red because you don't approve of our current administration's policies.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,177 • Replies: 30
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:09 pm
I got that, too. I've been doing it, though who knows if it really means anything. I look around on Fridays and see a lot of red, but ya know, red is a popular color. (I'm wearing it now, and not for any particular reason.) The first day I did it I saw a kind of crunchy gal wearing a lot of red, and I looked at her sort of meaningfully, and she looked back at me utterly blankly.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:21 pm
I would gladly wear red, gold, brown yellow what ever , if it would carry any political weight. sadly, i dont think it will..
But I will wear my red shirts on fridays just in case.
Hell.. I may even throw in some red underware. HAHAHAH
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:22 pm
The original email is around at least since May, 2004.

Btw: this is not an urban legend.

During the war - 1940-1945 - it was forbidden to wear red caps in Norway: carrying a red cap could get you sent to Grini. (GRINI:
Newly constructed before the war, the main building at Grini was originally designed to be a woman's prison, but the German's quickly seized it as a regular prison of war camp, mainly to detain Norwegian soldiers in 1940.)

http://lofotenkrigmus.no/bild/106boknis.jpg

source: Lofoten War Museum

Quote:
Throughout the war the displaying of a Norwegian flag was strictly forbidden. The wearing of a red ski cap also became forbidden as it became the symbol of a good Norwegian---one against the Germans. At Christmas time, the inscription displayed on many Christmas cards was done in a way that it wished only Norwegians well, not Germans. It was "God Norsk Jul." These cards also showed Norwegians with red ski caps and Norwegian flags flying.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:39 pm
For this is to have any effect, those who wish to express their opinion through outerwear (the underwear idea is intriguing, but not far reaching enough - even for the most promiscuous of protesters), need to choose an article of clothing that is exceptional. A wool cap is a perfect selection, particularly in these summer months. Brings a new meaning to "hot head."

If I walk the streets of Dallas this afternoon and see numerous people in red wool caps I will recognize a message. Scores of people in ordinary articles of clothes that happen to be red will mean nothing, and I would laugh at anyone trying to tell me it signified a widespread expression of protest.

It's a great idea though.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:53 pm
How about this for an idea: Every Friday wear a tee shirt with a graphic image of George W. Bush being raped by a thousand demons.

I suppose the shirt could be red, but really, any color will do.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 01:49 pm
Well, that would certainly say something about the wearer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 02:44 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
If I walk the streets of Dallas this afternoon and see numerous people in red wool caps I will recognize a message. Scores of people in ordinary articles of clothes that happen to be red will mean nothing, and I would laugh at anyone trying to tell me it signified a widespread expression of protest.

Interesting response.

We'll have to let people know that you won't be acknowledging their message unless they are wearing a particular item of red.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 03:17 pm
Thanks for the reminder littlek. I recieved the email weeks ago and forgot about it almost immediately. Must go and buy more red--a good excuse to shop!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 03:59 pm
Well, at least I checked to see if anyone else had posted a thread on the subject.....

Maybe red bracelets (which is what I was thinking of doing)?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:33 pm
I'm thinking red shoes are going to be my signal.

Don't forget to check my shoes, Finn. :wink:
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:50 pm
How about a straw hat with a red band around it. You could be seasonal and make a political point at the same time, and Gus wouldn't have to change his tee shirt.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:51 pm
Red shoes sound fun!

And the hat sounds noticeable.

Maybe my red string bracelet isn't obvious enough.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:57 pm
Red string bracelets are pretty 'connected' to Kabbalah, so I don't think I'd go that route.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:59 pm
Is it? How so?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:03 pm
This doesn't sound too bad:

The Red String protects us from the influences of the Evil Eye. Evil eye is a very powerful negative force. It refers to the unfriendly stare and unkind glances we sometimes get from people around us. Envious eyes and looks of ill will affect us, stopping us from realizing our full potential in every area of our life.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:04 pm
do a google on red string bracelet ...

(i'm running something on the skunk thing right now)

Madonna - Kabbalah - red string bracelet - very People magazine
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:09 pm
Oh, wait, you mean Ethel?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:22 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Interesting response.

We'll have to let people know that you won't be acknowledging their message unless they are wearing a particular item of red.

Please do ebeth as I would prefer not having to laught at them.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:25 pm
one of the local customs here on guam after the death of a family member, is that the surviving immediate family members wear red during the rosaries to keep the spirit of the dead person from "visiting" them.

don't know how this relates to the topic, but i've never made much sense anyway.........
0 Replies