GENDER DISCRIMINATION IN THE DRAFT

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:27 am
To secure the continuing existence of the United States democracy against intractable religious fanaticism, whose goal is nothing less than a Muslim theocracy for all of planet Earth, it is inevitable that military conscription will again be implemented during the months following the 2004 Presidential Election. The nature of this struggle renders irrelevant the person or party who wins the election.

With very rare exceptions, every male residing in the United States 18 to 26 years of age is required by the Military Selective Service Act to register with the Selective Service System, and thereby subject himself to the possibility of involuntary military service. Yet, with the ongoing War on Islamic Terrorism, the prosecution of which has required the deployment of hundreds of thousands of U.S. military personnel, and stretched the National Guard and Reserve to its limit, absolutely no female in the U.S. is required to register. This clear fact of gender discrimination has not been focused upon in public discussions because an active draft has not been in effect since 1973.

The United States Selective Service System offers on its Website a short history of the draft with respect to women. The primary reason given for non-registration of women is a Supreme Court decision, Rostker v. Goldberg, 453 U.S. 57 (1981). Simply stated, it says that since all men registered with the Selective Service are considered combat replacements, and since Congress forbids women to go into combat, women should not be registered. Of course, this reasoning is absolutely absurd, since it presupposes that absolutely every male called for involuntary military service will be used exclusively for combat, and conversely that absolutely no male called will be used for the approximately 90% of military jobs which are non-combat related.

Two identical pieces of legislation before the U.S. Congress, H.R.163 and S.89, referred to as Universal National Service Act of 2003, amend the Military Selective Service Act to authorize the registration of females. Unless exempted, they obligate the performance of a two-year period of national service either in the armed forces or in a civilian capacity that "promotes the national defense," for all United States residents, male and female, between 18 and 26 years of age. Further perusal of this proposal reveals Section 5(d), which authorizes the President "to apply different classification standards for fitness for military service and fitness for civilian service." This Section clearly permits the President to perpetuate the current double standard and pander to the female voting majority. Because of a Congressional rule exempting females, only males will be placed involuntarily into direct ground combat. Females, although subject to national service, will be spared the dirt and danger that is inherent in facing our country's enemies. Section 5(d) guarantees that virtually all females will return whole and well to enjoy equal civil rights and equal veteran benefits, while those of their male peers who do return will have had a vastly different experience discharging their 'male-only' civil responsibilities.

Some questions arise as a result of these blatant facts of continuing gender discrimination:

1. Do equal civil rights for females obligate females to equal civil responsibilities? Should the absence of female civil responsibilities vis-à-vis military service commensurately diminish female civil rights? In light of the fact that only males are required by Federal law to serve involuntarily in direct ground combat for up to six years of their lives, and to risk their very existence in that service, to what quantum degree should females' civil rights be diminished? Why is the pretext of a logically flawed Supreme Court decision, and continuing legislative gender discrimination, allowed to exempt the female majority of the population from any possibility of involuntary direct ground combat? .

2. Should female members of the Legislative and Executive branches of government be permitted to vote for war, i.e. to place only males into involuntary direct ground combat, while they and their daughters enjoy gender exemption from such civil responsibility?

3. Title IX demands that proportionately gender-equal funding be used for all school-based activities, including athletics, in schools that receive any federal funding. Many schools have had to abandon male team sports that earn revenue in excess of their costs and which aid in the preparation of males for the teamwork and organization of military service, in order to provide gender-equal funding for female sports which perennially lose revenue. Yet there is no imperative for females to utilize the skills and strengths learned on the athletic field and in the classroom for the military defense of their country. Should Title IX continue?

4. Finally, to address those arguments, based on strength and speed, against placing females involuntarily into direct ground combat. Gender-norming has been used to affirmatively place females ahead of males into civilian positions requiring physical strength and speed, such as firefighters, police, smoke jumpers, and cadets in service academies. Why not use these same gender-normed standards, which are significantly less rigorous than those minimums required of males for the same occupations, to affirmatively qualify females for involuntary direct ground combat? Females cannot be simultaneously too weak and slow to perform as equals to males on the battlefield, and still be affirmatively placed ahead of males in civilian occupations that require similar strength and speed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,814 • Replies: 26
No top replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:31 am
I don't think women should be drafted. I don't even think women should be allowed in most military jobs.

I've been in the army, I'm not just blowing smoke here.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
We don't need a draft.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 02:57 pm
There will be no draft. The American public will not stand still for it. If that moron in the White House had not invaded Iraq this question would not even need be asked.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 03:23 pm
Rostker v. Goldberg also said that since the Congress is given exclusive constitutional authority to raise armies, it was disinclined to overrule Congress.

Article I Section 8; Clause 12
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 05:07 pm
I don't believe that ANYONE should be drafted. My understanding was that involuntary servitude was outlawed in the 19th century!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 05:33 pm
I don't want a draft. I don't want women in the most dangerous combat positions. I prefer to scale back the empire as a constructive alternative. We can't span the globe indefinitely.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 05:51 pm
We won't need a draft if we get rid of Genghis Kahn
0 Replies

Solon

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 11:09 pm
Whether America needs or wants the draft, it will still be there.

Women vote, own property, and in most ways have equal rights to men in the United States (in some cases better).

The same politicians who tell everyday American Joes that gender is a social construct, and women should be treated completely equal to men are now telling us women shouldn't have to serve in the army?

Even having women as nurses or cooks when men die is hypocritical.

Of course, women SHOULDN'T have to be drafted; but untill everyone can stop being politically correct about "Womens Needs" women should be drafted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 01:30 am
Ok, I'll jump in, as to women should be drafted if men are. When that is appropriate. And now is not that time. By a long shot.

Whether or not women go to the front, and maybe they should or shouldn't.. aren't there tests for this stuff? I swear my business partner would be good in the field, although she is, re militarism, rather negative, but... if she were there, she would beat anyones' asses. Very athletic, very competent. Lots of men are poor re these matters too, just like me, a woman. Why are these things so gender aligned, eh? Some folks have tactical brains, and or aggressive physicality, what e'er their gender.

Tactics are important, and that, as a concept seems to be waning.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 06:36 am
Draft hell. I am for the good old days and ways. Keep women in the kitchen knockedup and barefoot. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:05 am
au1929 wrote:
We won't need a draft if we get rid of Genghis Kahn

Who Question
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:07 am
au1929 wrote:
Draft hell. I am for the good old days and ways. Keep women in the kitchen knockedup and barefoot. Laughing Laughing Laughing

What Question
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:09 am
Miller
Bush
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:09 am
Solon wrote:
Whether America needs or wants the draft, it will still be there.

Women vote, own property, and in most ways have equal rights to men in the United States (in some cases better).

The same politicians who tell everyday American Joes that gender is a social construct, and women should be treated completely equal to men are now telling us women shouldn't have to serve in the army?

Even having women as nurses or cooks when men die is hypocritical.

Of course, women SHOULDN'T have to be drafted; but untill everyone can stop being politically correct about "Womens Needs" women should be drafted.

Why nurses today? Many of the nurses in the military today are males and many of the physicians are women. Cook? I thought the food was provided by independent contractors.

It's a new world, today! Razz
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:11 am
Miller
You got the who and the what. Now all you need is the where and the when. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:12 am
au1929 wrote:
Miller
Bush

Two excellent beers: Miller and Bush!

Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:13 am
au1929 wrote:

Too many abortions would result.

Confused
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:16 am
Miller
Guess which one is hard to swallow.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:19 am
au1929 wrote:
Miller
Guess which one is hard to swallow.

For me, no beer could taste worse than Coors light.
Confused
0 Replies