Spambots - A2K Suggestion Box.

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:59 am
I don't know what it's like for the rest of you, but when we in the UK stir our stumps and have our morning browse on A2K, it is usually the case that we are confronted by dozens of Spambot threads with nonsense titles.

It's probably the case that these idiots keep up a regular deluge during the day, and get knocked out by equally regular efforts from our hardworking hamsters, peace be upon them, but hamsters must sleep, or make mad, passionate love from time to time, and the Spambots come back in their droves.

There must be an answer to this.

Maybe there is a tech wizard out there who could suggest something.

Maybe RP could make do with cold showers now and then, and monitor the boards 24 hours a day.

Or maybe one of us ordinary folk could come up with a suggestion that seems blindingly obvious, apart from the fact that nobody has thought of it up until that point.
A suggestion that could easily be incorporated into existing programming, and stop the Spambot nuisance in its tracks.

Worth a try, I reckon.

Ideas, people?

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
I always thought that, any title with perhaps 50 or so key phrases, along with any urls in the intro paragraph could be easily detected and wiped off. Course that would wipe anyone like gunga who is often posting a URL with no comments from one of his "Internet Research Agency" comrades
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:11 am
My suggestion is that A2K somehow incorporates a similar thing to the PM restriction rule it had years ago. Remember?

It used to be the case that a new member would have to clock up so many posts before being allowed to PM anyone.

Maybe, with a bit of tweeking by the right Computer boffin, this restriction could be shifted to posting links? No new member can post a link until they have made 10 posts, maybe?

In the case of our art enquiries from new members, which is about the only area where I can see a problem with this, then maybe an image link can be allowed only after an existing member has tagged it with 'art'.

There is probably a tech reason why this can't be done, so failing that I would suggest one of those human tests if someone tries to post a link on their first five posts?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:14 am
@farmerman,
Key words on new member's thread titles would eliminate a lot.

Kitchens, skin, muscle, herbal, medicine, etc.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:47 am
@Lordyaswas,
For an expert knowledge site, I think the situation is about hopeless. If new members come in with only one question in mind, they will probably look elsewhere. Of course, some arrived with a vague or confusing question and are immediately attacked as spammers.

On the bright side, at this time of morning, I've logged in and clicked a thread only to find that it had been deleted within minutes of posting. Someone is up late, and they are watching.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 05:39 am
@roger,
Your 1.47am is our 8.47am, and that was my point in the opening post.

These spammers probably do it all day and night, but during your day there are many of you to report them, and hamsters to delete.
During your night, however, there are maybe six or seven regulars here from Europe etc, and sometimes we open up A2K to find pages of the stuff.

I sometimes find myself going boss eyed with the reporting button before even finding a thread that is a non spammer.

I was just looking for suggestions and bright ideas to somehow nip these spammers in the bud.

Maybe there is nothing we can do......
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 05:40 am
Actually, a lot of the spammy topics have titles which are five or so words copy/pasted from some meaningless article. That's how we get topics like "he mixes plaster with" (not an actual topic title). Yes, there are a lot that say kitchens and the like, but there's a sizable chunk with random phraseology titles. Those aren't really meant to be clicked on by humans; those are meant for SEO purposes.

We also get a number which almost look legit for a paragraph or two, and then the spammy links are at the bottom. Those are clearly meant to be for people moderating the site from their phones. Spammers are counting on moderators not scrolling (we scroll, so they're **** outta luck).

There's just a lot of it. That's really the case. There is a lot of it and we do what we can to deal with it.
George

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 06:56 am
@jespah,
Thank you, O Moderator-in-Chief, and your brethren and sistern.
jespah

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:02 am
@George,
Aw, shucks.

/kicks dirt/
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:38 am
@jespah,
<steps on spam, squishes it>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 09:04 am
I just want to add that I not only sleep less than the British folks but see all the stuff an hour earlier due to the different time zone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 09:23 am

Albert dances for spam

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 11:18 am
Oh well.

It was worth a try.

See you tomorrow morning, Walt.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 11:27 am
@Lordyaswas,
I hope that I'll find you with all the new muscles and healthy skin!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
But wait, I could use a new kitchen.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 12:14 pm
I suppose I don't see as many here in Seattle; but I see a few late at night. If they still have a +1 thread rating, I will report them. That brings the rating to 0. If they are already 0, I figure they have already been reported, so I don't bother.

Doesn't remove them, though.

Maybe Lordy can be one of our mods.
0 Replies