Which sentence is better?

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 04:39 am
The two sentences below try to convey the same meaning. Which is better and the worse one is worse?

(1) a method of treating disease with small amounts of medicine, which, in large amounts, can induce symptoms in healthy people similar to that of the people being treated.

(2) a method of treating disease with small amounts of remedies that, in large amounts in healthy people, produce symptoms similar to those being treated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 578 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Banana Breath
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 09:31 am
@oristarA,
Both have problems.
A sentence should always start with a capital letter.
In the first sentence you talk about symptoms (plural), then say "similar to that," which doesn't match the tense; it should be "similar to THOSE"

In the second sentence you use "remedies" instead of medicine. There is no such thing as a "small amount of remedy" Something is remedied, or it isn't.

I would offer this instead:
"A method of treating disease with small amounts of medicines that, in larger dosages, produce in healthy subjects symptoms similar to those being treated."
oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 11:06 am
@Banana Breath,
Banana Breath wrote:

Both have problems.
A sentence should always start with a capital letter.
In the first sentence you talk about symptoms (plural), then say "similar to that," which doesn't match the tense; it should be "similar to THOSE"

In the second sentence you use "remedies" instead of medicine. There is no such thing as a "small amount of remedy" Something is remedied, or it isn't.

I would offer this instead:
"A method of treating disease with small amounts of medicines that, in larger dosages, produce in healthy subjects symptoms similar to those being treated."

Thanks.
Remedy: a medicine or therapy that cures disease or relieve pain.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 11:32 am
@Banana Breath,
Quote:

Right about the correct word; wrong about the reason. That's not a "tense" problem, it's a problem of number (singular/plural) agreement.

Quote:

Incorrect. Remedy (noun) can be used to mean "medicine or treatment for a disease or injury". It is thus correctly used by oristarA. It is often used in connection with homeopathy e.g. "I use the smallest amount of remedy possible to get the maximum effect in the patient", and also mainstream medical writing e.g. "Insulin and some vaccines are given subcutaneously. The length of the needle used must be between 23 to 25 gauge and the volume of remedy administered is no larger than 1ml."
Banana Breath

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 11:39 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Incorrect. Remedy (noun) can be used to mean "medicine or treatment for a disease or injury". It is thus correctly used by oristarA. It is often used in connection with homeopathy e.g. "I use the smallest amount of remedy possible to get the maximum effect in the patient", and also mainstream medical writing e.g. "Insulin and some vaccines are given subcutaneously. The length of the needle used must be between 23 to 25 gauge and the volume of remedy administered is no larger than 1ml."

If you want to take English lessons from homeopathy (pseudoscience) or medical "literature," you're welcome to, however both are among the most notorious for misuse of the English language bordering on criminal.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 11:44 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Remedy: a medicine or therapy that cures disease or relieve pain.

Note that both of these are definite. It CURES disease or it RELIEVES pain.
There's a subtlety here similar to the difference between using a "treatment" for cancer, versus a "cure" for cancer. The difference is an important one.
The term "remedy" should not be used in an ambiguous situation. The etymology of the word (Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French remedie, from Latin remedium, from re- 'back' (also expressing intensive force) + mederi 'heal') indicates a RETURN to health, unambiguously.
0 Replies