Does "a Designer back of the design— a Creator back of the creation" mean...?

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 08:03 am
Does "a Designer back of the design— a Creator back of the creation" mean "a Designer behind the design— a Creator behind the creation"?

Context:

Anti-evolution activism: 1918–1925[edit]
Before World War I, Bryan believed moral progress could achieve equality at home and, in the international field, peace between all the world's nations.[49][50]

Bryan opposed the theory of evolution for two reasons. First, he believed that what he considered a materialistic account of the descent of man through evolution undermined the Bible. Second, he saw Darwinism applied to society as a great evil force in the world promoting hatred and conflicts, especially the World War.[51]

In his famous Chautauqua lecture, "The Prince of Peace," (1909) Bryan warned that the theory of evolution could undermine the foundations of morality. He concluded, "while I do not accept the Darwinian theory I shall not quarrel with you about it," and, evoking, the design argument, he said "I have a right to assume, and I prefer to assume, a Designer back of the design— a Creator back of the creation."[52]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 379 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 09:41 am
@oristarA,
Read it as, "a Designer behind the design--a Creator behind the creation".
oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 09:52 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Read it as, "a Designer behind the design--a Creator behind the creation".

Is "back of" still in use today?
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 10:28 am
@oristarA,
It sounds as if it would be a colloquial use nowadays.
0 Replies