Does "church must proclaim the Gospel of life" mean "church must glorify the Gospel of life"?

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:26 pm

Context:
Imagine this, in a country that also stigmatizes the use of contraception as a sin against God. And yet this is precisely the sort of policy one would adopt if one agreed with Mother Teresa's assessment of world suffering. Indeed, the Archbishop of San Salvador actively campaigned for it. His efforts were assisted by Pope John Paul II, who declared, on a visit to Mexico City in 1999, that "the church must proclaim the Gospel of life and speak out with prophetic force against the culture of death. May the continent of hope also be the continent of life!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 422 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:03 pm
@oristarA,
One would need greater understanding of the Catholic mind, something I, as a former Catholic, can only barely discern. Jesus commanded his followers to proclaim the gospel (good news) of the kingdom at Matthew 24:14; but it seems obvious he was referring to his mention of the kingdom in Matthew 6:10 and Daniel's prophecy recorded at Daniel 2:44 ( a real government). This is the only reference I know of any message to be preached on the part of Christians.

Somewhere in the history of the Catholic Church, a concept was developed claiming that any attempt to block fertilization, other than the monthly timing of intercourse was a sin as serious as murder. I can find no scriptural basis for the teaching. Of course, the Catholic Church generally values tradition above scripture.

As a former Catholic, I announce
Ite, missa est.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:39 pm
I found this link to John Paul's encyclical:
http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_25031995_evangelium-vitae.html
0 Replies

McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 12:12 am
@oristarA,

Not exactly. Proclaim does not mean glorify. it means "state".

You might say emphasise, preach, champion, promote.
0 Replies