E-travel with Drom!

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:41 pm
As many of you probably know, I'm leaving England early to-morrow morning, to embark on my journey towards Dilijan in Armenia, where I'll be staying for a year or so. Nevertheless, I'm not the sort of person who flies directly to the place and then gets the taxi; my journey will take at least a month and a half; it may take longer due to restrictions on buying a house there. So, I will be swarming in and around Europe, and-- after the first week--, I'll be telling you all about my ventures.

To-morrow, I'm travelling nearly non-stop with two friends of mine who are diametrically opposed to each other. The three of us are going as far as San Sebastian, which is in the Spanish side of the Basque country, and then I'll be going from there to Santillana on my own. After a few days there, I'll be up in the Pyrénées, and from there, Paris; but, after I've left the mountain village, I'll be able to tell you everything, if my connection works. Until then, I will see you soon! I will make sure that I write about where I am during the next week, so that I forget nothing when telling you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,274 • Replies: 66
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:47 pm
Here is a picture of a place that I might well see; a hermitage in San Sebastian..

http://personal2.iddeo.es/tarso/Ermita%20San%20Sebastian%20Cabezas%20Rubias.jpg

When I get travelling, though, I'll be able to scan in my own photographs...

anyway, I'll be quiet until I get there, now!

0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:50 pm
bon voyage Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:10 pm
Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:25 pm
Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:49 pm
Have pleasant journey Drom; let's hope you will be able keep in touch.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:57 pm
Make sure you bring me back some kind of gift.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:20 pm
nobody comes to guam......
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:27 pm
I feel your pain, pueo. Yours is a lonely life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 11:06 pm
Oh, gads, I am a vicarious traveller with you.

You can never ever describe too much for me. Or ever show enough photos.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 11:10 pm
Have a nice time and a pleasant journey, drive safely, don't take sweets from (strange) men, ask only a policemen the way/time, look left and then (sic!) right when crossing the street ...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 04:43 am
Have fun! :-D
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:56 pm
Thanks for your advice and well-wishes, everyone. Gus, I will bring a present back for you if you so wish; an Andalucian parrot who can read out both 'Romance de la luna, luna' and scripts from the third series of Seinfeld. Osso; I'll make sure that I import my photographs to here, once I get to somewhere with a scanner... O, and Pueo, I'd happily go to Guam, had I the money and transport Very Happy!

If you have been travelling vicariously with me so far, you'll have found yourself to be very wet. I set off on the twenty-four hour journey -- it was shorter than I expected, but how longer too-- on Saturday; the English weather was miserable, and I was escaping vicious nutcases with too much time on their hands. I was really glad to be going from the country.

It took about seven hours to get onto the ferry down in Calais, three of which was spent between feuding friends arguing about blasphemy in modern language. The English Channel is probably the busiest waterway in the world; the day before I left the country, no less than fifty-nine thousand passengers went from France to England, or vice versa. The sea was rather wild, but I spent nearly all my time on-deck, enjoying the brisk waves.

Soon, however, I met someone very unexpectedly; it was Mr. W_______, who had come to my Sixth Form college when he had just finished teacher-training and I my A levels. He seemed harmless, still, and so we had a nice bit of fresh cod together. He was going to assist with a field trip or something; either way, he spent most of his time regaling me with completely random anecdotes about his time as a student in Aberyswyth. I half concentrated on him, half on the view of Calais' beaches that slowly emerged from amidst the gathering mist.

I remember that I loved Nord-pas-de-Calais, the first time that I saw it; I saw it from a coach at six am in the morning, and its spartan landscape of scrubs, brown patches, sea breezes, and quiet aires somehow appealed. Calais, however, never did, despite the fact that I love the sea. When you start clanking and shaking towards Calais, you briefly snatch a glimpse at a few shadowy beaches folding towards you, but the whole sea-front is dominated by chemical works and corrogated iron.

The town itself is not much better; it has little in the way of Frenchness, and is the furthest that nine million English people get to experiencing France. That many go over there because many soulless English hypermarkets have set up there, selling alcohol at French prices. It is a sad sight to behold: in the rain, yobs illegally packing their cars with more booze than they should, and going right back to England. Naturally, we got out of Calais as soon possible...

[Day one will be continued shortly...]

0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:50 pm
Have a great and safe time.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:58 pm
Drom you mean like here? Click here
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:05 pm
drom, I'll be in Constanta in Romania in September. I have a friend in Iran; maybe some day I'll visit that part of the world.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:01 pm
C I, we had a great meal on a boat restaurant in Constanza harbour!

Deom, glad you made it across the channel, but where are you now? You are posting wordgames like crazy... ! Hope it'swarmer with you than here, where it's cool and cloudy and I'm wearing a sheepskin jacket to sit at the computer in.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:22 pm
Oh! I just found this... I'm in for the ride. Looking forward to lots of travel tales.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:52 pm
I am already thrilled, and thank you, husker for a clue to our destination. Those reading this may be interested in the thread I started a day ago, Driving 101. Back with a link.

And hi, piff!

Here's the link Driving 101
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:56 pm
Drom, have you been to Armenia before?
0 Replies