New York gatheringsactors moving to Austin Texas

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:48 pm
Any gatherings for actors in NYC that are moving to Austin Texas? Anyone out there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,095 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:54 pm
Whatareya ... lookin' for a ride?
0 Replies

traveler

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 05:37 pm
Travelling to Austin in fall/2004/Amtrak trip
I am travelling to Austin in the fall by Amtrak and am leaving from the east coast.
I am a self-employed actor.
Any advice, support, or information about the area?
What is the best place to live in Austin?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 05:55 pm
Why the hell are you leaving the most exciting city in the world for one of the nicest? Rolling Eyes

Is there a job there in the local "Oklahoma" theatre?

Don't get me wrong, Austin is a great city, just be prepared to die of boredom.

Unless you play very hot guitar.....

Joe
0 Replies

traveler

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:10 pm
top 20 affordable cities for actors to live in
What are the top 20 affordable cities for actors to live in the United States?
Let's assume NYC wasn't an option.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 09:48 pm
travel, first let me say that timber and Joe aren't usually -- hell, they aren't ever -- this rude to newbies. In fact they're two of the best guys on these fora.

I find myself a little shocked at their posts here, but I'm not going to dwell on it. If I were you I'd just blow off those two posts. They don't represent by a long shot the normal responses of either of these two gentlemen or of this fine discussion forum.

Having said that...

...you've asked the same question about sixteen different times and ways, and I have done my best to address it. There are a handful of Austinites on the board who have probably read your posts and don't have any better idea of how to give you an answer that's acceptable than I do.

The problem is probably that there simply isn't anyone here who can give you a good answer. If I were you I would try the local newspaper's website, www.statesman.com , or the alternative weekly, which is called the Austin Chronicle. Google that and you'll probably get their website. I'm betting you'll find lots of good info about acting possibilities, meeting people, living accommodations and more.

Austin doesn't have much in the way of mass transit except for the bus. You'd need an auto to live there. It does have an all-around excellent quality of life compared to every city in the nation, including an affordability compared to the Big Apple that you will find astonishing.

Good luck, and see you around the forum.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 03:20 am
Was I being rude? Sorry, it must have been the martinis.

Good suggestions, P.

No question about needing a car though, the likelihood of any mass transit being able to get you where you need to go in a city the size of Austin is nil. Just getting there by Amtrak is kind of tricky, isn't it?

Housing is another story. P is right. You'll definitely find things are less expensive on that score.

The best thing you can do now is research. Get a map of the city and study it. Get the papers on line and immerse yourself in the details of what's going on and where. Imagine yourself already there and working.

Make contact with the Chamber of Commerce. Ask them about theatre in the city. Call those contacts, see what they have to say. Put those contacts in your Palm. Is there a theatrical agency in Austin? My son books his shows through one in Dallas, I'll ask him if they know.

More later.

Joe
0 Replies