Failed to understand "measuring up, the fear of judgment". What does it mean?

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 02:32 am

It sounds as if "the fear of judgment (by the Lord - Jesus Christ on his second coming)". But it is only a guess; it is not clear what it actually means.

Context:

The deepest fear we have, 'the fear beneath all fears,' is the fear of not measuring up, the fear of judgment. It's this fear that creates the stress and depression of everyday life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 409 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 09:59 am
@oristarA,
not measuring up (not meeting Her exact requirements), the fear of judgment (by Her)

Edited, Ori, to explain, by Her, I don't mean Him; I mean His Creator (Her, It)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Is+he+and+him+capitalized+talking+about+Jesus
0 Replies

FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 10:09 am
@oristarA,
If you fail to measure up, you don't satisfy someone/something's standards. You fail. In the given context, believers' greatest fear is of failing to meet Jeebus's standards on Judgment Day and being sent to Heck. It's a religion fundamentally based on fear, existential anxiety in other words.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 10:30 am
Thank you both.

Quote:

Jeebus
A name used on progressive blogs to deride intolerant religious rightwingers ("fundies") who use the Christian faith as a flag and front for every one of their nastiest motivations, statements and actions, hiding hate behind professed faith. Basically "jeebus" is a code word for lefties permitting them to mock self-annointed religious frothing biters / ultraconservatives of the social or financial right who advocate selfishness and cruelty (via nutty religious errors) without actually deriding Jesus or Christianity itself which they don't have a problem with. Put alternatively, a person who follows the New Testament loves Jesus; a person who can't wait to take away sick benefits from a dying lesbian because God Hates Fags loves Jeebus. Get the diff?
"Don't you understand? Tax cuts for the rich are good and welfare for sick mothers is immoral! What kind of atheistic radical are you to think otherwise?"
"Jeebus told you to say that, didn't he?"
0 Replies