Why is it "a Korean" but not "a British"?

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 06:13 pm
We can correctly say a Korean, an American, an Indian etc...

but not "a British"?

(I am Korean/I am Korean = both fine..
(I am British = fine. I am a British = incorrect)

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 09:07 pm
"I am a Brit" can be claimed.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 09:13 pm
@luketeacheruk,
luketeacheruk wrote:

We can correctly say a Korean, an American, an Indian etc...

but not "a British"?

(I am Korean/I am Korean = both fine..
(I am British = fine. I am a British = incorrect)

You probably meant one of those to be "a Korean." The word "Korean," like "American," can be used to refer to either a person or the language. "British" isn't used to refer to a language. That's all I can think of right now. If I get a better idea, I'll chime in again.
luketeacheruk

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 09:30 pm
@FBM,
Yes right, I meant "a Korean" for the second one.^^

Thanks for your replies. But to simplify it: let's use "English".

Now, "I am a Korean" is fine....but "I am an English" is wrong.

As far as I understand it, the reason is that "English" is an adjective, so without a noun that it is modifying, there is no way to attach the article "a".

So, "I am an English person" is fine, because we have the noun person.

BUT - to complicate matters~....it is possible to say: "The English". So we here have an article, the indefinite article "the".....so, is "English" still functioning as an adjective here?

@_@
luketeacheruk

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 09:35 pm
@luketeacheruk,
Also to add....I suppose "Korean" can function as an adjective and a noun...but English cannot.

The difference between the word endings -an.....and -ish (and -ese for that matter) must be the issue here. But I don't fully understand it. I am American, I am an American - correct....I am Japanese, correct...I am "a" Japanese - incorrect.

Brighter minds than mine please help~!
FBM

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 09:50 pm
@luketeacheruk,
luketeacheruk wrote:

Also to add....I suppose "Korean" can function as an adjective and a noun...but English cannot.

The difference between the word endings -an.....and -ish (and -ese for that matter) must be the issue here. But I don't fully understand it. I am American, I am an American - correct....I am Japanese, correct...I am "a" Japanese - incorrect.

Brighter minds than mine please help~!

"English" can be both an adjective (the English countryside) a noun, but only for the language, not a person. Wink

I'm working on it, but I have class in a few. Here's where I am right now: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/nationalities-languages-countries-and-regions

Quote:
When we talk about the United Kingdom (UK), English is not the same as British. English is not used for Scottish or Welsh or Northern Irish people. (Great) Britain refers to the territory of England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom refers to England, Scotland, Wales and the six counties of Northern Ireland. Some people from Northern Ireland refer to themselves as British in the context of the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland. However, everyone from Northern Ireland has the right to Irish nationality and can hold an Irish passport. Irish also refers to citizens of the Irish Republic.

The Scots themselves prefer the adjective Scots and it also occurs in the compounds Scotsman and Scotswoman. We use the adjective Scotch to refer only to food and drink from Scotland e.g. Scotch broth (broth is a kind of soup).
luketeacheruk

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 10:06 pm
@FBM,
Thank you! It is getting clearer.

But I don't think the use of the words to describe languages is the answer...

Because British is not a language, nor is American ... but they can be both be used as adjectives to describe a type of English - British English...American English....

However, it still remains that we can use the definite article with "British":

"The British are coming!" "The British love to drink tea."

But we cannot use the indefinite articles "a" or "an"....I am a British...I am an English....both incorrect. #_#;;;;;;

I'm not familiar with how suffixes can alter grammatical rules....but that is definitely what the suffix "-ish" (and "-ese"!) is doing here...
FBM

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 12:33 am
@luketeacheruk,
https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/determiners-and-quantifiers/indefinite-article-and

Now I'm starting to think that it's because "British" is a noncount noun, but "American," Korean," etc, are count nouns.
luketeacheruk

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 01:22 am
@FBM,
Yes, FBM thank you so much for your help.

The way I explained it finally was that "British" when functioning as a noun is plural....and obviously the indefinite article "a" can only refer to singular nouns....but the definite article "the" would be fine.

So, American, Korean etc. are all singular...so, for example, when we want to make them plural we must add "s"....

"The British are coming!"
"The Americans are coming!"

So the suffixes -ish, -ese (and others probably) are plural when they are nouns...so "a" cannot be used.

Everyone thanks a lot.^^
FBM

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 02:28 am
@luketeacheruk,
I think you got it. Cheers.
McTag

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 06:58 am
@FBM,

I am a Briton. Can be informally shortened to "Brit".
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:30 am
@McTag,
... though I've been told by one English person on a2k not to say Brit.

I do anyway, but less often. I'm trying not to use it, since I'm guessing that the shortened word is used mostly by those of other nationalities. Rather like the word USian. The very sight of that word drives me bananas.
saab

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:45 am
@ossobuco,
Never heard USian, but Yankees drives me nuts - sorry not the person.

One thing drives you bananas and another drives me nuts.
Let us cool down and we have a banansplit
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 08:56 am
@saab,
Yes, great idea!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 05:10 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I am a Briton. Can be informally shortened to "Brit".

In light of the OP, would you feel it normal to refer to yourself as "a British"(full stop)?
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 05:13 pm
@luketeacheruk,
Some indecencies are just not discussed in polite society.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 03:00 am
@FBM,

Quote:
In light of the OP, would you feel it normal to refer to yourself as "a British"(full stop)?

Plainly no. This seems a glaring nonsequitur.

Any dictionary will explain the word "Briton". It is the accepted description for an inhabitant of this country.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 03:32 am
@saab,
I blame Dlowan for that USian stuff. I don't much favor it.
saab

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 03:56 am
@roger,
Brit is a Scandinavian girlĀ“s name. So I would be confused if I used it for a British person
Brit is a Brit, but her mother Brit is not a Brit. Brit thinks Brit Air is Brit Airline
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 05:30 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Good God no. I defer to Gilbert and Sullivan on this matter.

0 Replies