9 year old swearing

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 01:18 pm
Hello, My sisters daughter who is 9 is currently staying at my house while her mum is on holiday and today I heard her swearing at my 5 year old son she called him a ******* ****. I'm really angry and I want to know what the best way to punish her would be?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 01:31 pm
@Emily1988,
Punish her? What is that about?

Why not explain quietly to her what is wrong with saying that, much less to a five year old.
bamboozled2015

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 01:57 pm
@Emily1988,
Having three children, several nieces/nephews & friend's children, I have seen and heard it all. My go to response is to calmly speak to the child and state to them firmly, "In our home we do not speak to each other using that kind of language." You can insert whatever the inappropriate behavior that has occurred. In our home we do not hit each other, bite, pester the dog, spit, break things, etc. etc. It's best not to make a big deal out of it. Just be firm and clear with your expectations about what's appropriate behavior in your home. Some parents do not have a problem with their children swearing and that's their prerogative in "their home." I would not bother the mum with this issue until she returns from her holiday. Should the negative behavior continue, reiterate your expectations and have the child engage in some other quiet activity away from your son. You may wish to give yourself a time out if you are having trouble controlling your emotions and appreciate the fact that your son is not behaving in that manner. Good Luck!
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 07:32 am
I told my daughter and her friends that words "like that" whatever it was only could be used inside a kindergarten and absolutely no other place.
That was it...Too many explanaitions do not work too well.
FBM

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 07:55 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Punish her? What is that about?

Why not explain quietly to her what is wrong with saying that, much less to a five year old.

I regret that I have only one thumb's up to give to this post.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 12:23 am
A nine year old who swears...is it dizzythetush ? rabies666 ?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 01:36 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

I told my daughter and her friends that words "like that" whatever it was only could be used inside a kindergarten and absolutely no other place.

I agree, I've lived my life by that rule. Whenever I find the need to swear I pop down the nursery, stick my head over the wall and let the kids have it. I usually have a good fifteen minutes worth of obscenity before the police turn up.
saab

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 02:33 am
@izzythepush,
What do you do on week ends and holidays when the nursery is closed?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 04:33 am
@saab,
I've got a Scooby Doo costume. When I wear that small children always come running up to me, and I can swear to my heart's content.

http://img.joke.co.uk/images/products/generic/large/10051.jpg

"**** off Kid"
saab

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 05:13 am
@izzythepush,
It´s easier for me - I swear in a foreign language. Don´t have to dress up for that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 11:24 am
This seems appropriate.

saab

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 12:02 pm
@izzythepush,
I do not know if it is appropriate. My PC said it is deactivated - I can´t watch it.
Fan och hans mormor.
Ionus

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 07:35 pm
@saab,
I'm certain its INappropriate to swear in front of kids . Usually low lifes like women bashers and whores swear anyway . Not quite family material .
saab

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 12:08 am
@Ionus,
Not only swearing is inappropriate in front of kids. I prefer as a rule a correct language. I do not even like to talk babytalk with a child, just plain easy to understand language.
roger

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 12:52 am
@saab,
Idums a widdle fussy today?
saab

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 01:28 am
@roger,
With the help of Google translater I found out that your question means
"Does your dialect need to go to the toilet to-day?"
roger

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 01:32 am
@saab,
Thank you! I was definitely in need of a good chuckle.

PS: I don't believe a word of it.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 03:26 am
@saab,
Agreed 100%
0 Replies