grow old with me, bring extra cash

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 01:07 pm
Quote:
(Reuters) - Prices for medicines most used by older Americans rose steadily after the Bush administration enacted the new Medicare law late last year, the nation's largest group representing the elderly said on Wednesday. AARP, formerly known as the American Association of Retired Persons, said brand-name drug prices have climbed 3.4 percent -- or three times the rate of inflation -- since December. The jump was one of the sharpest quarterly spikes since 2000, the report said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 843 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 01:10 pm
What a delight.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
What a surprise.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:34 pm
What a man.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:06 pm
Shocked.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:35 pm
Why? Increased access to medicines means increased demand. Increased demand ususally does equate to higher prices.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:37 pm
They might need to build up cash reserves now, as well, as it is becoming more widely known that they finance their research with government grants, and spend their research budgets on marketing . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:39 pm
well set, it's a free market economy.(sorta)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:39 pm
Snort!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:42 pm
No

Send cash, grow old yourself
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:44 pm
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Drug firms raised the prices of some medicines as much as 10 percent since the Bush administration enacted the new Medicare law late last year, making it hard for some patients to afford them, a new report said on Wednesday.

AARP, formerly known as the American Association of Retired Persons, said the prices of brand-name drugs most used by older adults climbed an average 3.4 percent since late December.

The jump -- three times the rate of inflation -- was one of the sharpest quarterly spikes since 2000, the nation's largest group representing the elderly said in its report.

Drug manufacturers used "very aggressive pricing practices ... that harm the elderly population's ability to afford those drugs," said John Rother, AARP's policy director.

The findings follow an earlier AARP report showing prices for the same drugs grew 6.9 percent in 2003. But the quarterly increase since President Bush signed the Medicare bill into law was particularly high, according to the study.

AARP, which supported the bill, is concerned "manufacturers are offsetting the discounts with prices that are higher than they otherwise would have been." Rother said. "It doesn't seem to be market driven."
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:46 pm
What a man, his policy is working as planned......
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:48 pm
My sweetiepie convinced me to sign up with AARP, because she was convinced we could get all kinds of discounts. What i get is a mailbox full of junk solicitations. Frankly, i consider the entire organization a sell-out, and a lobbying group allegedly for "seniors," but actually working for the highest bidder. They alienated a good deal of their membership with their support of the recent Medicare bill, and i strongly suspect the current move is designed to "re-establish" their credentials with the community they love to exploit.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:54 pm
They try to get me, but I ain't gonna bite Wink

They sent me an eMail and I sent them back a reply telling them how deplorable I thought their actions were on the bill. Unbelieveably, I have heard nothing from them since.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:57 pm
The retailers must be in on it too, Walgreens, Eckerd and CVS are building huge stores faster than Wal Mart.

Buying prime real estate to do it too.

I know we're living longer these days but that can't be the only thing driving this massive sales growth projection, can it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:28 pm
AARP - Never trusted that bunch, never signed up. What we need is a real senior citizens advocacy group.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:31 pm
Agreed......... One that has a website that works, gets us real bargains, isn't politically connected, gives more than receives - rats, I forgot - this is America. Never mind Surprised
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:19 pm
Re: grow old with me, bring extra cash
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
(Reuters) - Prices for medicines most used by older Americans rose steadily after the Bush administration enacted the new Medicare law late last year, the nation's largest group representing the elderly said on Wednesday. AARP, formerly known as the American Association of Retired Persons, said brand-name drug prices have climbed 3.4 percent -- or three times the rate of inflation -- since December. The jump was one of the sharpest quarterly spikes since 2000, the report said.

Gee, there's a surprise. "It doesn't seem to be market driven."
Who's losing money with this new medicare plan? Seniors. Typical Bush job. Give it a nice name and then use it to do the opposite of what was promised. This was most likely part of the plan. After all, he owes the drug companies for all their support. Honestly, is anybody really surprised?
0 Replies