San Antonio, Texas/Austin Texas/ Great place to live?

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 01:00 pm
What do you think of San Antonio Texas or Austin Texas? Are they great places to live? I would like to hear some stories.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,821 • Replies: 9
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:52 pm
Welcome to A2K, traveler.

These are two of my favorite cities to recreate in; I have lived most all of my life in Southeast Texas, and in Houston for the past twelve years.

Austin in particular is unique in that it is the state capital as well as home to the University of Texas. It has a lively entertainment scene.

I believe that your opportunities to further your acting career (having seen your other threads) will be much greater there. Look, I found this:

Austin Arts Search

As an aside, some of us regulars on this here board will be gathering in Austin in October. There's a thread kicking around the events elsewhere on the forum.
0 Replies

traveler

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:42 pm
Austin, Texas gathering
Austin sounds like a great place to live. I would like to know more about the gathering in Austin, Texas and how to attend and meet up.
Thanks for any information.
Any actors out there moving to Austin?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:54 pm
Austin A2K Gathering 10/22-25
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:00 pm
I live in Austin. I have varied opinoins on it. some good some bad , like everyone. But it is a fun city. It is a very culturaly driven city. Nowhere else in america can ahomeless person run for office 7 years in a row........
What are you looking for in austin? Why are you considering it as a place to reside? Maybe I could help answer those questions of yours if I had an idea of what you are looking for.
0 Replies

traveler

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 05:33 pm
Austin/Great place to live for actors?
Is Austin a great place to live for actors, are the rents affordable, and are there a lot film/theatre casting offices?
Just need some feedback or advice.
P.S. Can you live in Austin and not have a car?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 06:06 pm
Quote:
Can you live in Austin and not have a car?

No.

Can you live in NYC and not have a car?

Yes.

See the difference?

Can you live in Austin and be an actor?

\\\\\Not really.

Can you live in NYC and be an actor?

Yes, but you have to wait tables or work at the GAP part-time and audition six to ten times a week.

so?

What are you going to tell your grandchildren? That you once were an actor in New York but that you moved to Austin in 2004 and took a job doing .......... who cares what the job is .....it's not New York.

Much love

Joe
0 Replies

traveler

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:14 pm
Best affordable Texas city for actor to live in
What are the best affordable cities in Texas for actors to live in? I heard San Antonio and Austin are good locations.
How good is their public transportation, and how affordable are the apartment rentals?
Anyone out there with feedback.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:56 pm
You actually can live in austin and not have a car. My husband just got a car when we had our daughter 4 months ago. He has been working at the same place for almost 10 years and has moved 3 times. Lived his life comfortably with out a car. Granted.. it took a bit of planning around the bus system.. but he made it work. If you are willing to use the bus system and make your life around it, you can do it. there are busses that run 24-7 , cabs everywhere and a few small family owned business that do transportation. It will be a task though. Not as easy as it is in NY im sure. ;-)
Austin is NOT cheap. It does have ALOT for actors, musicians etc. I do mean ALOT. But with all it has, there are twice as many people looking for that musical/acting break too. Hard compitition , but great pay offs if you make it.
Any city is hard though, but the cost of living here is one of the highest in the state. Utilities are pretty big here too. Mostly because of the humidity you have to run A/C or you will bake.
I like it here, very interesting very busy city. Beautiful green streets, rivers everywhere and a very diverse population. It will be more of a task then you may think moving to austin with no car and no set job... but once you get things going for yourself you may just make it and really enjoy yourself.
Go to Austin360.com . It shows alot of the 'nightlife' wich is where you will find your entertainment scene, music and other wise, It will also show you rent , some utilitiy prices i think, and bus system.
Good luck
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 03:20 am
When we lived in SE Texas ('79 through '90) we would frequently vacation in New Braunfels (between Austin and San Antonio) and absolutely loved it. But there's a big difference between visiting a place on vacation and actually living there.
0 Replies