The coming Oz election thread ...

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:44 am
..and QANTAS telling us: 'They're NOT strike-breakers, they're supernumeries to cope with extra flights'. Peter Reith must be laughing.

Phil Ruddock is also looking forward to the past...

Quote:
Mr Ruddock said he planned to re-introduce terror legislation that stalled in the Senate before this month's federal election, although the proposal to allow the questioning of young people is not included.

That measure had been changed to 16 years during the Senate's protracted scrutiny and debate of the new ASIO powers.

Mr Ruddock said the bill was amended in order to get it through the Senate.

"So we don't have a law that enables young people in those circumstances to be strip-searched and so on," he said on the Seven Network.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:52 am
Oh god, what can you say? Rolling Eyes
But this is nothing ... after June & the new Senate it's going to be back to the dark ages.

And Labor ... I just read Swan's first words of wisdom. Rolling Eyes
And if I hear so much as a whisper about "the ladder of opportunity" I'm going to scream!

What a stuff-up all round! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:58 am
I'm joining the first band of Koories going walkabout!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:00 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,391065,00.jpg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:02 am
Don't let margo see that one!

Night, night - gotta catch the train!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:05 am
Cheers.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:16 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,391095,00.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:58 am
God - the Dems are looking good now...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:55 am
Pierre Salinger, former press secretary to John F Kennedy and Lyndon B Johnson, and France's "most French of Americans", has died of heart failure at 79.
He died in hospital near his home of Le Thor, outside Avignon, after recent surgery to fit a pacemaker, his wife, Nicole, said.

The couple moved to the Vaucluse to run a B&B when George Bush won the 2000 election. "He was very upset because he thought Bush was not fit to be president," Mrs Salinger told the Associated Press. "He said he would leave if Bush became president, and he did."

Which is why I posted it here - how many of you have had friends say they will move to New Zealand now that Howard's in again? (I've said it myself) If only my wallet had the strength of my convictions....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:06 am
He sounded a very SANE man. How sad.

NZ?
I dunno about that .... Though the desire to escape is huge. The bottle, maybe? :wink:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:10 am
The bottle I can afford.

I'm looking to move to Cairns - I figure we need more lefties in regional areas, definite oversupply in Canberra, we need to start moving to those marginals...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:25 am
Shocked Better get a haircut, mind your Ps & Qs, totally clean up your act before heading north, hinge ...... They don't like "southerners" up there because we're all commies, you see .... Or maybe things have changed recently?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:30 am
Olga - how did you know I have long hair?

I think it's changing slowly, undoubtedly the influence of all those migrating Vics who got Geoffed. Hell, how long has the state government been ALP? Make Joh Bjelke look like a flash in the pan...

I'm willing to throw myself on the redneck grenade for the good of my country.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:53 am
hingehead wrote:
Olga - how did you know I have long hair?

I think it's changing slowly, undoubtedly the influence of all those migrating Vics who got Geoffed. Hell, how long has the state government been ALP? Make Joh Bjelke look like a flash in the pan...

I'm willing to throw myself on the redneck grenade for the good of my country.

I think you mentioned having long hair once, hinge.

Qld used to to a BAAAAAAD experience .... I recall being berated by a local in Brisbane while walking down the street with 2 black African friends: "Why don't you go back to Sydney or Melbourne where you belong?" Shocked Such hostility! I'm certain it's not THAT bad, now. But further north, where folk "go troppo"? Who knows? The hippy types who lived in the Kiranda (sp?) got a very hard time from the police & locals. Shocked

Nah, it COULDN'T be that bad, still! It's a "tourist mecca", after-all! :wink: You might enjoy going troppo! Very Happy

Bracks is well into his 2nd term as Victorian premier. Playing it very safe, no risks .... not too friendly toward teachers, nurses, fire fighters, ambulance drivers & unionists & lefty ratbags. A bit of a disappointment, actually. A lot of Geoff's "reforms" have remained. Who was it who said: No matter who you vote for you get the government? That's about the size of it. Sad
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:44 pm
Quote:
Qld used to to a BAAAAAAD experience .... I recall being berated by a local in Brisbane while walking down the street with 2 black African friends: "Why don't you go back to Sydney or Melbourne where you belong?"

Bejeebus, Olga! Don't scare me like that... I knew Canberra was a little, sheltered, small 'L' liberal oasis but it's hard to beleive we're that disconnected from our northern neighbours.

I've spent time in Cairns and I reckon I'll cope. The cane farms are being abandoned, there's a university campus, a steady influx of tourons, there's even a growing public service presence and the odd hippy-like community.

And as I alluded, maybe it's a chance to make a positive contribution to Queensland compassion/tolerance index...

Cairnsberra, here I come...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:46 pm
You mean it, hinge! Very Happy

Time for major changes?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:47 pm
Definitely - just gotta find a job that doesn't involve waiting tables, hiring boats or aluminium fabrication...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:52 pm
Tour guide? Public servant? What is your current line of work, hinge .... any chance of more of the same in QLD? Or is that not so wonderful an idea?

Tried the Oz-wide online employment places?

How exciting! Razz
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 09:45 pm
I've got three sites I check every day, with bated breath, and once a week the PS gazette.

Work wise, as in life, I'm something of a dilettante so I reckon I can pretty much do anything that requires a brain. Only a minor chance of a similar sort of job(s) - IT/information management/libary/web programming et al but there's a fairsized campus of James Cook University as well as the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, so you never know.

I found one job from a guy who wanted someone to add e-bay listings for him.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:43 am
Maybe you'll initially have to take the less than perfect job, then settle in & look around a bit more? Depends how serious you are about wanting this change, hinge. Good luck! Very Happy
0 Replies