The coming Oz election thread ...

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:54 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
Good morning. Still no coverage of your election in the US media. That's a pity as I find yalls posts fascinating.

A diversion for melbourniancheese re YALL: I live in the southern part of the US where all of the backward folks live. The smart and rich people are in New York and California. We talk a little funny down here compared to the sophisticated folks up north and out west. Mr Bush is from Texas which is kind of in the south but, to tell the truth, he doesn't sound like those of us who are native to Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia etc (If you want to see where exactly we are, check out the next hurricane map. We're right above Florida).

Anyway, I might say to melcheese: "Can you get the dog out of my yard?" but if your whole family was present I would say "Can yall get..."

"You all" became "Y'all" became just "yall." Trouble with the possessive was the problem: "Y'all's dog ate my chickens" so we went to just plain
YALL. Which evolved into no apostrophes at all: "Yalls dog..."

I apologize (not really, but I'll say that) for intruding. I'll try to stay out.
I enjoy reading yalls comments. -realjohnboy-

Been a couple of articles in the New York Times.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:55 pm
msolga wrote:
This should be very interesting to follow!

Greens ready to deal: Brown
By Meaghan Shaw/the Age
Canberra
September 9, 2004

The Greens would consider an accord with the Labor Party to form government if it held the balance of power, Greens leader Bob Brown said yesterday.

Both Prime Minister John Howard and Nationals leader John Anderson raised the prospect of a hung parliament this week after polls showed the two major parties neck and neck.

Senator Brown said he would also consider an accord with the Liberal Party but any deal would be based on the Greens' policies.

"We would look at the options that give the people the best outcome," he told the National Press Club. ........

(complete article)
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/08/1094530691575.html?from=moreStories#top

You said a mouthful, Felix!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:02 am
Yep, Deb, the outcome may well hinge on the Greens' preferences! Watch out for a HUGE anti-Green backlash! Soon! Watch this space!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:24 am
Campaign on hold after Jakarta blast
September 9, 2004 - 9:15PM

The federal election campaign will be effectively suspended tomorrow as a mark of respect for the victims of the bombing outside the Australian embassy in Jakarta.

(complete article)
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/09/1094530767313.html
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:46 am
Probably this will be like after the train bombs on March 11th in Madrid, Spain, where later the opposition won the election.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:56 am
Hmmmm - the whole terror thing went the other way last election, Thok.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:06 am
Who knows, Thok? Australia certainly isn't loved by JI. We are seen as a corrupt western nation & in league politically with the US. Also our "interference in internal Indonesian issues", by our involvement in East Timor, has been strongly objected too, as well.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:14 am
dlowan wrote:

Yes, then it became an issue about which party could best "protect" Australia. The Libs we perceived to be stronger in this regard.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:36 am
dlowan wrote:

I believe that was more along the lines of border security than terrorism.

Also, unlike Spain, I think a terrorist attack on Australian soil would actually help the government rather than hurt it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:02 am
Border security combined withpost 9/11 fear of terrorism ..... & as a result there was a strong fear of Muslims at the time & Howard expolited it for all it was worth.
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 01:43 am
horrible stuff that Jakarta bombing. Amazing no Aussies died......makes me think.....how much does Howard want to win....(note: for all workers for the government, I am not implying anything. For everyone else, I am)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 04:46 pm
Yes, cheese, it's going to be very interesting, watching the fallout from the Jakarta bombing on the direction of the election campaign. I'm sure both parties have been hard at it, working out their respective responses, during this 2 day "amnesty" on politicking.
Sunday night's televised debate should give us a pretty good indication of where the both sides stand & what's to come .. I suspect Howard will be a wee bit more cautious & sophisticated, if he chooses to run a scare campaign on "security" issues this time around. The issues are more complex now, the electorate is more informed, the campaign still has weeks to go &, if he has any sense, he will have learned something from electorate's desire for integrity in politics. But we'll see ....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 04:53 pm
A thoughtful article by Shaun Carney, from today's Age:

The challenge for Australia
By Shaun Carney
September 11, 2004/the Age

Will our political leaders pass the test set by the Jakarta bombers?

The murderous creeps who conceived of the car bomb outside the Australian embassy in Jakarta almost certainly do not understand it, but they have presented our national political system with an enormous challenge. Will we pass the test? Will we be able to see the issues related to the bombing - Islamist terrorism, the war in Iraq, our relations with regional neighbours - clearly through the fug of electioneering? Or will our national discussion collapse itself into provocative sound bites and tit-for-tat taunts of "I told you so"?

....The point appears to be that it is easy for politicians to stoke fears among some voters in the short term but much harder to maintain those fears over the longer term. ...

...Even so, the important question remains: will the bombing play through the campaign all the way to October 9? So far, with the shock of the event still fresh, the public comments by politicians have been largely confined to the leaders. ...

(complete article)
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/10/1094789685556.html?oneclick=true
`
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:31 pm
..and how the cartoonists see it:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,378631,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:53 pm
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2004/09/09/moir100904_gallery__550x312.jpg
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:57 pm
Laughing
funny stuff! where do you find those msolga?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:44 am
... the online pages of Oz newspapers, cheese.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:58 pm
So who'll be watching the"great debate" tonight?

I will ... but am quite nervous about the terrorism/leadership/scare tactics aspects since the embassy bombing.

BTW ... will there be a "worm" or won't there?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:48 pm
We've already got a worm. His name is Howard.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:05 pm
Nah, Wilso, he's the rodent! Remember?
0 Replies