The coming Oz election thread ...

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:38 pm
Howard defends son's election spamming
August 27, The AGE -2004 - 10:16AM

Prime Minister John Howard has defended using his son's internet company for electioneering.

Mr Howard has hired his son Tim's company, Net Harbour, to send email to voters in the prime minister's blue ribbon Sydney seat of Bennelong.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the company exploited a loophole in the government's laws banning commercial operators from sending unsolicited emails.

The laws exempt charities and political parties.

Mr Howard told Hobart ABC radio today he had personally funded the campaign, which bore his authorisation, but would not disclose how much it cost.

"That is my business because it's not public money, it's private Howard money and I don't intend to disclose that because it's a private matter," Mr Howard said.

But he said he had disclosed the cost of it to the NSW division of the Liberal Party.

Mr Howard said he was excited about the fact his son had launched a business.

"I'm very proud of the fact that my son has started a small business in his 20s and I get a real buzz out of the fact that he's prepared to have a go in small business," Mr Howard said.

"That is what the future of this country is all about."
- AAP

~

Hmmmmmmmm .... Rolling Eyes
An enterprising chip off the old block?
Running a spamming business funded by his father?
This is what the future of this country is all about Question
What a vision. <sigh>
`
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:57 pm
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/08/27/270804toon,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:07 pm
Labor probe call on PM spam
August 27, 2004

LABOR today called for an investigation into Prime Minister John Howard's use of unsolicited e-mails, or spam.

Mr Howard has hired his son Tim's company, Net Harbour, to send e-mails to voters in the Prime Minister's blue ribbon Sydney seat of Bennelong.

Labor's technology spokeswoman, Kate Lundy, said the Government's own laws, which came into effect four months ago, banned commercial spamming.

But the laws exempt political parties and charities from using spam, which has become a crucial tool in communicating with voters.

"The Prime Minister has breached the spirit, if not the letter of anti-spam laws," Senator Lundy said.

"John Howard's Government banned commercial spamming this year, but then the Prime Minister goes ahead and spams the public for political benefit - this is a clear case of double standards."

Senator Lundy said the Australian Communications Authority should investigate Mr Howard's use of spam.

But she said it was questionable whether engaging a commercial company to send spam breached the laws.

"Mr Howard obviously thinks he is either above the law or is cynically exploiting a loophole against the spirit and principle of a law his own government has been touting as evidence of its social responsibility for the past year," she said.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:17 pm
msolga wrote:
Yes, I saw him interviewed on television last night. Seemed articulate & intelligent. Good luck to him!
Is he standing as an independent, or has he aligned himself to a particular party?

Blimey - I am not sure - Independent, I think....

Chief magistrate has been furious about his activism - they pressured him to resign - had papers for him to sign.

I can kind of see it - members of the judiciary are generally supposed to refrain from political comment.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:03 am
Brian Deegan is running as an independent. He should have kept his mouth shut while still a magistrate, but, oh well he paid the price.

Curious fact; His daughter and Downers daughter are schoolmates.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:19 am
I don't mind - pester the good folks of Bennelong as much as you want in the name of John Howard. Arrange for a brass band and massed pipers to march up and down the streets of Bennelong playing loudly at 5 am on Sunday morning. "A message from your local member". Not for long........
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:08 am
"Not for long ...."

Now wouldn't that be bloody marvellous? Razz

BTW rumour has it that Howard will announce an October election this weekend .... We'll see, we'll see ...... If I was him, I think I'd wait as long as possible. Things don't certainly look the best for the Libs at the moment.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:59 am
That's a wonderful idea, Mr. S., and one that surely deserves foreign aid.

The age says the same, Olga: (here's the article: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/28/1093518152726.html?oneclick=true)

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:50 pm
An interesting piece by Michelle Grattan from today's Sunday Age. Will the election be called today to avoid parliament sitting before the election?

... "Ten days ago he was defiantly making the firm prediction that there would be another "children overboard" Senate inquiry, and of course it would find him "guilty" because it would be just a political fix.

Over the past few days Howard has been dithering about whether to go to the polls, so as to avoid Parliament having such an inquiry." ....

PM's moment of truth:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/28/1093518165066.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:57 pm
Thanks for the link, Drom. It certainly looks like John Howard isn't keen for further scrutiny of the issue.

"Calling an election this weekend would stave off likely parliamentary questioning of Mr Howard over the children overboard affair after new evidence confirmed he was told defence officials doubted asylum seekers threw children off a boat in the weeks before the 2001 election."

`
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 07:10 pm
What a huge surprise!

Bastard....

Any decent PM would have resigned.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:05 pm
Saturday 9th October. Let's hope that Australia becomes an independent nation once again. Not America's 51st state.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:23 pm
Hmmm - PM at Yarralumla, eh?

Time to join the ALP again, I suppose - next weary round of letter-boxing and such.

Kallooo kallah, oh frabjous day....NOT!

Anyone else getting off their arses to elect not-John-Howard????

I fear I am in a marginal...dammit - no excuses.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:46 pm
Safest labour seat in the country here. Most elections we don't even have a conservative candidate. We see through scum too easily for them to try.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:49 pm
OK, i've just read that Howard called for elections in October, the 9th, right? So when would elections have taken place otherwise? Why, Miss Wabbit, do you contend that he ought to have resigned?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:11 pm
Westminster system - fleetinglay and glancingly adhered to here.

During last election campaign, an alleged - and now proven to be fabricated - incident occurred on when a boat full of would-be-refugees (or illegal immigrants) sank off Indonesia.

The government made much of the refugees allegedly throwing their children into the sea - (which was sold as a beastly blackmail of the Oz navy boat hovering nearby in an attempt to get the boat to rescue them, and hence have them legally land in Oz) and evidence of the moral turpitude of the "queue-jumpers" and other such scum who had thrown the wee kiddies into the sea.

In the event, the boat was sinking, and the people were asking for help.

The gov. seized on this lie - (having managed to conflate terrorism and general angst with asylum seekers in a manner which defies logic and humanity in much the same way that Bush Inc. has done with Iraq/Sept 11th) and used it as a campaign thing - while navy folk who had been there tried to say it was not true - but had little access to political masters. The public sector here has become politicied and fearful and hesitant to fearlessly and frankly advise, etc, under this government.

When the truth came out - (way after the election was safely won) - the PM denied that he, or the Defence Minister, had been informed, despite evidence that they had been - but the matter was just murky eough to give wiggle room - if you have the morals of an inch-worm. The bastards used a LIE to help win an election. And more ferking shame on any Australian who was swayed by the damn crap, anyway - but that is another argument.

A valiant fella has come forth to say he DID inform Howard - (the PM).

Under the Westminster system a minister/PM who has misled Parliament is supposed to resign - they are supposed to carry the can.

In my view, the evidence that they had lied was quite strong a long time ago.

Bastards!!!!

We do not have set election times - there is a time beyond which governments cannot dally - but they choose a time they think will suit them, by and large.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:14 pm
Well, i understand the principles you ellucidate, Miss Coney, i had been unaware of the boat people ploy. Under the Westerminster system, as practiced at Westminster, however, i do believe that a term is set to Parliament which requires elections beyond a certain date.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:23 pm
Can't remember the exact date, but it would have been some time in November. 3 years terms and the last election was in November 2001. But they can call an election earlier at any time.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 12:12 am
Breaking News in England!!! we have just realised :

Quote:
AUSTRALIANS GO TO THE POLLS
By Michelle Nichols

CANBERRA (Reuters) - Australians will vote on October 9 in a cliff-hanger election pitting the conservative government against centre-left Labor, with national security and the economy key issues.

Prime Minister John Howard on Sunday ended months of phoney election campaigning by announcing the date when his Liberal/National coalition government would seek a fourth consecutive term in office.

"Who do you trust to keep the economy strong and protect family living standards? Who do you trust to lead the fight, on Australia's behalf, against international terrorism?" Howard told reporters at Parliament House in the nation's capital, Canberra.

An election could have been held as late as April 16, 2005, but Howard has long said he would go to the polls before the end of 2004.

His eight-year-old old government has trailed Labor and its new-generation leader, Mark Latham, in recent opinion polls. Howard was also behind in opinion polls before he was re-elected in November 2001.

"Australia needs a change of government. Australia needs to move to a new generation of national leadership," Latham told reporters in Sydney.

Australian voters will now have six weeks of campaigning to decide whether to hand 65-year-old Howard another term or vote him out in favour of Labor and Latham, 22 years his junior.

"They are going to ask themselves which of these two blokes is more likely to keep my mortgage affordable ... that's far more important than the age difference between Mr Latham and myself," Howard said.

Opinion polls have shown the government running neck-and-neck with Labor on primary votes.

But Labor leads substantially on a two-party preferred basis, where minority party votes are distributed to major parties and ultimately decide elections.

SUPPORT FOR U.S.

Howard is banking on his government's impressive economic record and strong stand on national security, which included sending troops to Iraq and Afghanistan in enthusiastic support of the United States.

"The election will be about the future of this nation over the next 10 years," Howard said.

Howard's government won the November 2001 election on the back of a strong economy and hardline stand against illegal immigration, but his credibility has recently come under fire with claims he lied to voters on the eve of that poll.

Labor pounced on the issue of Howard's honesty this month when a former defence adviser said Howard lied in 2001 by sticking with claims boat people had thrown children overboard in a bid to win asylum, despite being told the story was false.

An attempt by Howard to prove he did not lie failed when two high-ranking military officers backed the position of the former defence adviser when interviewed by the Defence Department last week at the prime minister's request.

Latham has pledged to make truth in government, along with domestic issues such as health and education, a main election issue.

"In this campaign Labor will be highlighting the failures of the Howard government, the dishonesty, the attacks on Medicare, the loss of affordable education, the way it has made Australia less safe in the war against terror," Latham said.

"But overwhelmingly our campaign will be positive. We will be putting forward positive solutions for the benefit of the Australian people."

Howard began the formal process of calling the election when he visited Government House earlier on Sunday to seek approval from Governor-General Michael Jeffery, the representative of the Queen, the head of state.

Under electoral rules, Australian governments are elected to three-year terms from the date of the first sitting of parliament but can call fresh elections at any time in that period.

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_molt/70893877.jpghttp://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_molt/717406845.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 02:00 am
Get out & campaign for Labor in my electorate, Deb? No, I won't be doing that .... because it's one of the safest Labor seats in the country. (To the point that they hardly notice us when in government. Evil or Very Mad )

But hey, wouldn't a change of government be wonderful!

OK, Mark Latham, let's hear about these policies you've been saving till now! They'd better be bloody good after all the build up!
0 Replies