Coming Attraction: The United States of Europe

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 08:30 pm
The possibility of a united European continent has been gaining steam in the past few years. The word "United States of Europe" has even been passed around by high ranking European leaders lately. Although there are a myriad of issues to be solved before something like this can be conceived, here are 4 reasons why the United States of Europe (or perhaps Europa has a nice ring) will be formed by 2060.

1) The number of sovereign entities in the world has been steadily decreasing for the past 1500 years. As economics become increasingly intertwined, this trend shows no sign in stopping. (Although this trend may not hold for long in Canada.) The EU has a common currency, and soon the economic situation will be similar for most nations. It makes sense to have a common government where there are common economics.

2) Let's say that George W. Bush is re-elected in 2004. Europe is going to respond negatively, and they will look for a way to use their power to counter U.S. international policies. The way to have the most power would be to link up as a continental superpower. This would create a bipolar power distribution throughout the world, which may prove a good idea as long as the two sides are on friendly terms.

3) I don't think this issue has come to pass yet, but sooner or later non-European countries are going to look to join the EU. The European Union can't take these countries simply because the word 'European' in the title will no longer make sense. The EU countries should solidify into one country with a recognizable border to keep from this situation. Just imagine the chaos if Israel ever asked to join the EU. That situation can't be a possibility.

4) Modern transportation has caused border problems between these smaller countries. Border checks are a hassle for people traveling across several countries in a day, and there needs to be a better system for traveling. Better yet, get rid of the borders and don't worry about having a system.

I have recently become interested in this issue, and I am wondering what the Europeans think about it. I am imagining the British are against the idea, but I would still like to know if they have seen the issue discussed anywhere.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 629 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:16 am
One Dutch word for this: "eenheidsworst"

Best to be translated as: "boring uniformity".

Europe will never do this in my eyes; Europeans will experience it as the loss of their identity.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:49 am
I wouldnt mind so much, but a USA-like set-up isnt gonna happen any time soon.

I do think we'll have a European federation by 2060, with or without the Brits.

Problem 3) is already on the agenda now, by the way, with the debate on the accession of Turkey. Should or should lengthy accession talks not start taking place with the country? Is it merely a question of Turkey meeting the standards the EU sets out on policies (on everything from economics to human rights), or is the question of European identity itself at stake? Opinions are divided, and not necessarily along the traditional left/right lines either.

Problem 4) however is not so relevant. The Schengen countries already have done away with most border checks, though they do the odd spot check. When I leave from Amsterdam Airport I still need to show my passport, but in cross-border trains noone checks and on many other European airports I can also just walk through the "EU citizens" gate.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:58 am
nimh wrote:
I do think we'll have a European federation by 2060, with or without the Brits.

They are a real pain in the butt :wink:

nimh wrote:
When I leave from Amsterdam Airport I still need to show my passport, but in cross-border trains noone checks and on many other European airports I can also just walk through the "EU citizens" gate.

True. When I went to Rome with Ryanair (have to keep it cheap) I had to show my passport once. That was in Charleroi (Belgium), the place from which we would fly to Rome. In Rome we could walk right through, no passportcheck, nothing.

I do think that when you have a 'United States of Europe', you have to be careful with who runs the place. Small countries could easily be overrun by the big ones: France, Germany, (maybe) Britain, Italy. I don't think that is what we want.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:53 am
I don't think Europe will ever be as USA simply because it's different thing. While USA is multucultural society with many nationalities, races and religions, it's still pretty different then in Europe.
Texas, Nebraska and Vermont are not same as France, Germany and Portugal, simply because there is no Texan, Nebraskan and Vermontian nationality, especially not in historic/cultural way.
0 Replies