CORDLESS GRASS CLIPPERS

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 04:28 pm
I need to get some grass clippers to cut weeds close to our iris beds. I DONT MEAN THE WEED WHACKERS, I have a good one and its not good for getting close to plants and I dont want to bust my good hand. SO, I know that Blck and Decker makes one but its only a 3V and its a pig . I need something thatll last at least 1/2 hr trait nd, with an extra bttery, I can keep going.
ANY ADVICE?

Id prefer experience, I can google up the specs and I see that Makita used to make one that was sold at Home Depot (We have 4 HD's within 50 miles and none of them carry it).
I have a hand clipper but Its giving me repetitive movement syndrome. My hand hurts and then shakes for at least an hour after Im done.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,971 • Replies: 44
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 03:53 am
@farmerman,
anybody?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 09:07 am
@farmerman,
I didn't know about those.
I could look them up, but your guess would be better than mine, re which cordless clippers would work the best. Do you have any really good garden center in your fairly wide general area? We used to have a few super ones (not chains) in the LA area, the kind of place where the employees and owner know what they're talking about. I'd call one of those to inquire, if not actually drive there.

Google, sure - maybe there would be useful reviews there (or maybe not).

Hmmm, got an arboretum anywhere around? The LA arboretum people used to be fantastic at helping re the odd question.

A farm store products type website?

One of my favorite nurseries ever, San Marcos Growers in Goleta, CA. I've emailed them in the past - they might have a suggestion from their own experience. http://www.smgrowers.com/ I know it's far away but it's the kind of plants place that has serious work staff and owner and there might be something similar in your area.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 09:36 am
@ossobuco,
Well, never mind San Marcos - they're only wholesale (I'm just so used to them, sorry, it's been a while)

Aha - Dave's Garden has gardening forums, might be some info there:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 01:40 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry, I've no experience with this one... but, that being said, I can only send you where you probably have been already.

Video clip for Homelite 4.8V Cordless Shear http://www.homelite.com/catalog/hedge-trimmers/UT44174<br />
Has a 3-inch single-blade hardened steel. 2-yr limited warranty.

This is exclusively available from Home Despot. I often get good advice from sales force about usability.
Here is a more professional 18v Cordless Shear by Makita:
(I think that is the UK version.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZ-TiId3t8
Technical Info:
No Load Speed 1,250 rpm
Battery Type Li-ion
Charging Time 22 min
Net weight 1.5 kg
Voltage 18 v
Cutting width 16 cm

US version
LXMU02Z Grass Shear, 1250 rpm
https://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=LXMU02Z
$120 (w/o battery)
Delivers 1,250 SPM and Up to 2 Hours of Run Time on a Single Battery Charge

• Makita-built motor delivers 1,250 SPM for efficient cutting
• Toboggan-style base frame enables user to quickly adjust height to match the application for smooth and consistent cutting
• Dual blade action cuts with a shearing effect for improved results
• Compact and ergonomic design at 13-7/8” long
• Weighs only 3.6 lbs. with battery (battery not included) for reduced operator fatigue
• Non-electrolyzed nickel plated blades engineered to resist staining and rusting
• “Tool-less” blade changing system for increased convenience
• Ergonomic rubberized soft grip engineered to absorb vibration for more comfortable operation
• Battery capacity warning system turns on indicator light and automatically stops motor to notify user when it is time to recharge the battery (battery sold separately)
• Left and right lock-off button is engineered to prevent instant start up
• Rapid Optimum Charger communicates with the battery's built-in chip throughout the charging process to optimize battery life by actively controlling current, voltage and temperature (battery and charger sold separately)
• 3 year warranty on the tool

Specifications:

Cutting Capacity (width) 6-5/16"
Depth Adjustment Range 3/8", 13/16", 1-3/16"
No Load Speed 1,250 RPM
Battery 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion
Battery Charge Time (minutes) 30
Overall Length 13-7/8"
Net Weight 3.6 lbs.
Shipping Weight 4.1 lbs.
UPC Code 088381-626552
Ragman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 01:56 pm
@Ragman,
18V LXT® Lithium-Ion battery (BL1830)
30-minute optimum rapid charger (DC18RC)

BL-1830 lists at $99 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BL1830-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Battery/dp/B000EDVTQM

It seems as though there's a new fastest charging Bl-1840 on the market now. But you may want to poke around and see for yourself.

FWIW, here's a useful review of batteries from Makita from a valued reviewer:
"I have owned a set of Makita tools with the LXT batteries for a couple years now and I have noticed absolutely zero power loss or any other problems. I use them quite regularly whether building concrete forms, decks, remodels, etc. "
Ragman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:12 pm
@Ragman,
Furthermore, reviewers expert practical advice about charging and durability of Li-Ion batteries;
"Most competent advice I've seen is to store these batteries at 70-80% of full charge, and keep them cool. The self-discharge is so low that you should be able to store the batteries for a year, and then charge them back to the 70-80% for continued storage.

Do not leave a "fully" discharged battery sit around too long, or it may discharge below the level that can be recharged by the standard charging stations. You'll notice that when using these batteries to drive screws, the third to last screw seems to be a bit sluggish, the second to last more so, and the final one ends with the tool refusing to turn, even unloaded. That means that the useful capacity of the battery has been detected by the chip (normally 25-30% of absolute capacity). Charge these up to the above levels before storage, or even before letting them sit around for a couple of months. "
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:17 pm
DC18-RC rapid charge charger is $82 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-DC18RC-Lithium-Ion-Optimum-Charger/dp/B00DVO32VQ/ref=pd_sim_469_1?ie=UTF8&amp;refRID=01EK5S5RH5KA4ZE7KQ79

More useful Makita Li-Ion battery charging lifetime info:
"Opti Mystic says:

I'm not sure how you would measure 70% charge. The charger shows under 80%, or between 80-100%. I guess you could time it. I agree about keeping them cool for longer life. From what I've read, these batteries last longest if you use them heavily, but tend to die if left unused. So the reviews here seem to be in two camps. Heavy users say they work great, what's the problem? Occasional users say they die prematurely, big problem.

Beware of letting these batteries sit for a long time without use. It's true that the basic battery cells have very low self discharge. But there is a circuit "brain" in the battery that is powered by only one of the 5 cells, and even though it draws a tiny current, over time it tends to deep discharge that one cell below safe levels. When you attempt to charge the pack, this deep discharged cell appears shorted to the battery brain. If you attempt to charge it more than 3 times with a deep discharged cell, the battery brain suicides, in effect. The battery is assumed to be permanently defective by the charger and cannot be charged (red and green lights flash). About 1/3 of the reviews here complain about this problem.

I'm not sure how to work around this. It's probably a good idea to use the battery heavily once a month. Just run it in your tool until it slows down a little, then recharge it. This balances the charge in all cells again. You should not have to do this, but until Makita fixes the firmware in the battery, or otherwise addresses this problem, you run the risk of the battery going defective while it's just sitting unused. Makita's solution: their Service Center will replace bad batteries if they have under 150 charges, regardless of warranty. Too bad if you don't know that, and buy a new battery.

As I said, this is a design defect. These packs use the same Sony cells used in many, many laptop battery packs, and they don't have this problem. It's due to the conservative firmware in the battery brain, and the way the circuit is powered by only one cell of 5.

Because of this issue, I've decided to stay with my older Makita 18V NiMh/NiCd powered tools, despite shorter run times. At least the batteries don't die prematurely. I love my Makita tools, and they have lasted for years, but with this battery issue on the LXT line I am on hold until they fix it. Because batteries are a big part of the cost of these tools over their lifetime, I want batteries that give decent service, say 5 years worth. Failure after a year is just not acceptable.

I'm also looking at the Dewalt 20V Max tool line, which so far does not seem to have these issues. Dewalt MAX lineup does not have the range of tools Makita does, so I hate to switch, but when my current batteries wear out, I'll consider it.
"
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:25 pm
@farmerman,
Can you get Bosch gardening tools in the US? I've heard that the lawn shear/hedge clipper combo with telescoping handle is very good.

The Bosch tools I've tried have been on the Fiskars side of good quality.

(I just discovered that the only reason we can get them here is that one of three Cdn distributors is nearby)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:32 pm
@Ragman,
No expert myself but have carpenter/contractor friends who have been happy with makitas a while ago, not specifically clippers, more re carpentry.

My emphasis on garden centers was re the expert ones, not home depot, in an attempt to find knowledgeable people who get out there and garden. Two nursery owners I talked with many times did a lot of the general look of the place, inviting areas, themselves, both densely knowledgeable.

I do use home depot and have found knowledgeable people...indoors.. re varied products. Also, the very stupid. The contractor counter can be helpful, or has been from time to time, given not a big line, but do the counter guys garden with cordless clippers?

It dawned on me to look up garden tool forums - here's a few:

http://www.permies.com/t/12690/organic/Source-GOOD-garden-tools

http://northcoastgardening.com/garden-tools/

Dave's again - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/shed/all/#b

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/lawn-garden/

didn't look further..
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:34 pm
@ehBeth,
I remember hearing pro Bosch stuff, but not directly related.
Ragman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:44 pm
@ossobuco,
The Bosch cheapest consumer level product line has gone to hell - cheaper than ever. As for their pro line...I can't comment on it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:46 pm
@Ragman,
And I saw your concern just now re makita.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:52 pm
On the hand thing, I've funny hands now too, sort of maybe who knows tener muscle wasting. Not carpal tunnel. Anyway, I'm in the middle of making bread, knead, knead, by hand today. I've always liked that, but it's getting incrementally harder, so I get the need (heh).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:53 pm
@Ragman,
I dont think that DeWalt makes garden clippers. As far as battery tools , I am a big Milwaukee fan. The batteries are long lived andyou can keep them on standby by just hooking them to the charger. I hqve a 4 battery charger and I wished tht Milwaukee mde the grden stuff too.

My Amish neoghbor who does contracting has always used HILTI tools (very expensive but hve an unconditional lifetime replacement guarantee). Even he went to Milwaukees because , for the price of one Hilti he could hve 3 Milwaukees that seem to lst just AS LONG. (nO GAURANTEE THOUGH)

So far, from the reports , theMakita is well thought f
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:55 pm
@Ragman,
The damnedest thing is that Mkita sells all its tools sans batteries. But the batteries fit all Makita tools.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Ill look at Bosch. We hve em here but Im not ure who sells em. Home D or Lowes or Ace or Helpless Hardware.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:57 pm
@ossobuco,
OOOH OOOH, lotsa reading, love it. Ill read these under the mosquito lamps outside. Its really hot today.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 03:07 pm
@farmerman,
I think Bosch is like everything - gotta get the contractor grade.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 03:07 pm
@farmerman,
Hmmmm. I found the Bosch and it looks like they make a 36 v Li H battery powere unit. (Or else it was 3.6 v). I couldnt make it out it was written in Canadian.