Our Yard Is A Moonscape-Any Tips?

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 12:57 pm
Give me some tips on bringin back the grass.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,396 • Replies: 48
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 01:02 pm
Have you seen this?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47768

My yard is doing really nicely thanks to tips I got there.

How much sun do you have?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 02:14 pm
A lot...Florida is a desert if you don't water...there's no shade trees by the way.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 02:19 pm
Can it be ground cover instead of a lawn? Does it have to be mowable? Will it be walked on? Played on? Decorative?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 02:19 pm
I should clarify...the Florida climate is rough on grass.

We have St Augustine planted and it's pretty hardy but this winter left huge patches of dead grass. It might be a pest or it could be a virus. I need some tips on bringing back the grass...I'll even consider re-sodding some sections.
I'm pretty handy at laying sod. Main thing to remember is GREEN SIDE UP!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 02:21 pm
80 feet by 125 feet...too big for ground cover...not played on. There are 4 bushes and 2 trees spaced around the front yard.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 02:23 pm
Post some pictures of your yard, panz. I need a good laugh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 02:26 pm
You want to be able to play on it? (thinking somekind of courtyard look - a real leap I'm sure from what you are thinking of in only regenerating the grass lawn - and it might not look right with the house anyway.)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 02:26 pm
I would Gus...but I'm trying to keep a low profile...somebody on A2K might work for the city's code enforcement board.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 02:35 pm
I'm not a big fan of lawns and their maintenance requirements, but

Quote:
St. Augustine grass is responsive to nitrogen fertilizer in terms of color and growth rate. On sandy soils St. Augustine grass requires about 1 pound of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet per month during the growing season to maintain satisfactory color and density. At rates above 1 pound per 1,000 square feet, St. Augustine grass produces lush growth that is highly susceptible to insects and diseases. On heavier textured soils ° pound of nitrogen every month is adequate to maintain good color and growth. Thatch accumulation is also a problem when nitrogen fertilization exceeds the required rate.

Late fall fertilization of St. Augustine grass helps maintain color and density of the lawn into the winter and promotes early recovery of the grass in the spring. Thus, to extend the length of time a St. Augustine lawn is attractive, the lawn should receive about 1 pound of nitrogen every 30 to 60 days from early spring through late fall.

St. Augustine grass is sensitive to iron deficiency and readily develops chlorotic symptoms in alkaline or iron deficient soils. This deficiency can be corrected with foliar applications or iron sulfate or iron chelate. Soil applications of iron sources are less effective than foliar application in alkaline soils.

Potassium requirements for St. Augustine grass are about the same as for other grasses. About half as much potassium as nitrogen is required to maintain growth. Potassium has been shown to increase root growth, cold tolerance and drought tolerance in St. Augustine grass.

from the "management" part of turf link
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 03:00 pm
thanks beth...Our well water is iron rich so it can't be a deficiency...fertilizing should help...
Gus gave me a good idea...I'll get up on the roof and take a photo...

and osso , maybe you can help me design a better curb appeal look.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 03:07 pm
I'm sure lots of us would have opinions re curb appeal. Hard to riff on it without photos. Maybe a scanned drawing?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:27 am
OK...2 shots...one from the roof...looking East and one from across the street..looking West

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5819/hutchins19nr.jpg

from the roof looking down on the moonscape

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/7365/hutchins27mp.jpg

Looking West from across the street

Gus! Stop cackling!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:20 am
tap...tap

c'mon...I risked life and limb to shoot photos from the roof...and no help

you're killing me over heeah...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:33 am
I was thinking about this as I walked to the subway this morning, Panzade.

The lush green stuff in front - clover? as I recall this is a sign of a lot of iron in the soil. Checked another site - still looks like nitrogen may be the troubling factor.

Diagnosing Turfgrass problems ... click

I like the general direction you seem to be going with landscaping - but I'd throw <well, not literally> some native perennials around the shrubs/trees, to decrease the amount of lawn - and decrease the amount of watering that would be required.

Yoooooooohoooooooo, OssoB!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:43 am
Dig it up and plant cactus? <ducks and runs>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 11:00 am
http://www.floridaplants.com/

which includes links going to Sarasota County govt - click on Florida Yards and Neighbourhoods

good stuff, Maynard
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:03 pm
yup- moving towards ground cover around the shrubs and trees...and thanks for the links beth
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:12 pm
I'm thinking kerosene....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:15 pm
Wait, you're in Florida. How about Astroturf?
0 Replies