Can I test my soil/lawn for harmful chemicals like bleach?

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 02:15 pm
My upstairs neighbour has been throwing some sort of chemicals down onto my grass leaving it looking scorched and dead and destroying it completely in some patches. As I've never been able to catch her in the act, I wondered if I could test the areas? (I have taken pictures)

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 02:37 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
I know soil testing is available, at least in big cities. Not sure about bleach. I used to be a landscape architect in California, and we got soils tested in both areas I worked in. Try your phone book (or I, suppose, google) to find a firm in your area. I just learned how to find phone numbers on line yesterday, instead of 411, says Ms. Dummy. Anyway, we used to mail the samples, if I remember, so you may not need to have the soil testing business right near you..

If you find a few phone numbers, I bet they can tell you if bleach is detectable, or give you ideas for what else it could be.

Also, Farmerman likely knows way more than I do and will likely see your post.
You could pm him if he doesn't. He does farm, but he's also a geologist.
Dorothy Parker

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 02:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Ah fantastic thank you so much. πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜€
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 04:59 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Here's a good article on toxic chemicals in the soil.
http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/04/06/study-finds-toxic-reality-urban-garden-soil-often-watered-down
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 06:44 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
I wonder if you could just ask your neighbor, politely, what she is throwing on the lawn? I know some people are unapproachable... Also, if you sniff the area you might be able to tell if it's bleach or not. Of course if it's something really toxic you might not want to get that close.
Some chemicals that will leave grass looking scorched:
gasoline
bleach
solvents
salts
fertilizers
etc
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 07:35 pm
If it is rent property you could ask the landlord to find out about it.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 08:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
in the soil already in a certain spot is an indicator. Poster is smart to ask.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 06:58 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Id go and ask her what shes been doing , and please stop it as its killing your lawn.
Testing for toxics is expensive and really doesnt prove association with the neighbor .But youve got actual pictures of the neighbor in the act and the result on the lawn.
(Thats the best forensic evidence).

Id start there, maybe you can get the neighbor to ralize the error of her ways(Especially, if she gets testy, you can remind her of the pictures and that youll take it further)
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 07:42 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Place a tarp over the scorched area for a few days. Perhaps you can capture some of this liquid you suspect is being thrown over the railing.

You say there are "patches." You don't say where you live, but that "scorched area" could be many things, including grubs and fungus.
Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 10:57 am
Thank you for your helpful responses. I don't think there's any point asking her about it as a) she'll no doubt deny And b) I have no proof.
I have taken photos (can I post on here to show you?) and you can see where the path has "bleached" spots where it borders with the grass from whatever has been thrown down.
I've sent the photos to the landlord as record and I've re-seeded the patches today.
This started when she asked if she could put tap in my garden so she could water hers (using my water!!!) and I said no.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:01 am
@PUNKEY,
The patches seem to appear overnight and are only directly below her kitchen window πŸ™. My gardener noticed and asked me what had happened to the grass as it looked "scorched"
0 Replies