sozobe

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:32 am
Interesting article by Elizabeth Kolbert in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2008/07/21/080721crbo_books_kolbert/?currentPage=all

Turf War
Americans can't live without their lawns -- but how long can they live with them?
http://www.newyorker.com/images/2008/07/21/p233/080721_r17557_p233.jpg

Two things jumped out at me:

Quote:
According to a separate estimate, by the Environmental Protection Agency, nearly a third of all residential water use in the United States currently goes toward landscaping.

DANG. I've been gradually acclimating my garden to using less water and am doing pretty well. I've lost some plants, others have changed their watering needs (and I wasn't entirely sorry to see the sensitive ones go). I haven't used the sprinkler once yet this year. I've watered container plants (with gray water/ rainwater when I have enough), but that's about it. It's safe to say that WAY less than 1/3 of all the water I use goes to the garden.

Quote:
plants that were beneficial to lawns, like nitrogen-fixing clover. To cover up this loss, any plant that the chemical eradicated was redefined as an enemy. "Once considered the ultimate in fine turf, a clover lawn is looked upon today by most authorities as not much better than a weed patch" is how one guidebook explained the change.

(Emphasis mine.)

I did not know that! I've used fertilizer once since we moved here (four years ago) and haven't had the heart to since. I dig up dandelions (I'm mostly fine with them but they're reviled by neighbors and so I do it before they seed to be neighborly) but I leave clover and violets/ johnny jump-ups. Had no idea that the clover was actually GOOD for the lawn!

I currently don't have that much lawn -- it's about 1/3 of my total yard space, I think. I have some plans to cut down on the front lawn a bit more yet though (expand the planting areas -- would want hardy perennials there).

Eventually I might want to get rid of the lawn entirely, but there was useful info in the article for the meantime.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,778 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:45 am
Revenge of the Lawn..

I could go on and on, but won't this morning (maybe later!) Your situation isn't completely typical of US lawn growing, alas.

Kolbert is behind the curve on this, but obviously her article is still apropo.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:54 am
I just water certain plants - roses, the new shade tree, elephant ears. The grass can wither, if it's not going to rain. Less mowing. Heh heh.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:26 am
@sozobe,
Fascinating article, Soz - and important stuff too!

On a personal aside though, sometimes I just come across these snippets from you...

Quote:
I did not know that! I've used fertilizer once since we moved here (four years ago) and haven't had the heart to since. I dig up dandelions (I'm mostly fine with them but they're reviled by neighbors and so I do it before they seed to be neighborly) but I leave clover and violets/ johnny jump-ups.

and I just go, whoa - ! Shocked I mean - so weird to realise - you live in such a different world from me ... so much more posh... All planning about how much of the yard around your house to have as lawn, and what may or may not upset the fussy neighbours' conventions of the perfect, neat lawn (and then the illustration that went with the article!) ... like in some book or something! Very Happy And we're the same age and everything...

I cant even imagine, really - like, put myself in those shoes? I know that location is mixed in with it, like for example, Americans are much more likely to have a free-standing house, which in Holland is a sign of serious wealth... but still... It's kinda like reading some of the items in the community section of the New Yorker, you know, in the beginning? I read those and most are just interesting but some make me go, dude - who are these people? Laughing

Anyway, that on an aside, happened to me a bunch of times now.. big world huh.
sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:31 am
@nimh,
I think (and this ties in perfectly to the article!) that it's more an American thing than a posh thing. I grew up decidedly UN-posh -- blue-collar, poorish neighborhood -- and all of that held true. My next-door neighbors when I was a kid were a retired couple, the guy had been a laborer of some kind, small house, small (by American standards -- maybe 40' X 80?') yard. But he kept his yard Perfect and was always vaguely disappointed (he was too nice to get really mad) at the state of our yard. Dandelions were a thing with him too, I remember.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:33 am
@sozobe,
I got to the second line on your post and was reminded to go water!
I never water my lawn.
I water my garden only when it's as dry as it is right now -which is pretty dry.
I have no wimpy-needs-water plants!
The reason I'm watering today is for a few plants that I put in a couple of weeks ago and a poor tree I planted this summer that I don't think is going to make it. Sad little thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:47 am
Lawns dying out here.....water restrictions have made 'em all but impssible.

Which makes sense, though there are some very drought resistant sorts.

I understand all the reasons for not having them...but they are great for entertaining and such...paving is so harsh and hot.
0 Replies