CORDLESS GRASS CLIPPERS

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 01:22 am
@farmerman,
Just seen this thread......

In a recent Telegraph article........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/11584072/The-best-cordless-lawnmowers-put-to-the-test.html

I have no idea whether any or all of these makes are available in the US, but it's worth a read.
mesquite

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 01:34 am
@farmerman,
The Gardena 8893-U3 and the Gardena 8885-U3 both have good reviews but are a bit pricey.

Neither appears to have replaceable battery packs, but the higher priced 8893-U3 is rated for 90 minutes run time per charge and the 8885-U3 is rated at 45 minutes.
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
The mowers look great but Im looking for clippers (likeelectric scissors that can cut around plants. We have many flower beds that need weeding and cutting and a string cutter or mower is rather brutish at cutting up and shredding the flowers.

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:05 am
@mesquite,
Ive been looking at this one from your links. It says its only 3.6 v. but the price isnt really too bad. As I put the tota cot of the MAKITA 18V unit it costs 89 bucks for the clipper, 86 bucks for the battery (sold separately), and 160 bucks for the charger. Thats 350 bucks for the whole thing. JEEZ , from most of the reviews of the GARDENA, it seems to be hat I can use (only one guy got screwed .He couldnt get any tech support or repair.
Ragman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:56 am
@farmerman,
FWIW, the charger is $85...check out the link to amazon I provided. I think as charger-battery combo you can save some money.

Also on Amazon they have a 20% discount on purchases over $100 for Father's Fay Special. You save 20% on Makita for the month.

Admittedly that's pricey. Good reliable performance always is (at least it's not like Hilti) .

I've had one corded Makita electric drill for over 25 years and it's been trouble-free and works awesomely. If I was looking for durable and effective, I'd give it a tryout ...at least as far as handling it at the store..etc. The good thing is with an 18v motor, you get a lot of reserve power with that instant demand. Plenty of charging-time, plus very quick turn-around when charging. I always leave a 2nd Li-Ion battery fully charged in back-up for my other appliances and photo gear.
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 07:44 am
@Ragman,
Iwas looking at some Tool Barn site when I flipped out at the fact that everything appeared to be sold separately. So, with Amazon my prices would be more like 250$ eh?

A corded one I found sells for about 60 bucks. I have miles of 120 v cord. Maybe I should consider that since we really have a small yard (everything else is field and psture nd we let the sheep and cattle manicure that
Ragman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 07:58 am
@farmerman,
Yeah, often times Amazon (and their 3rd-party vendors) beat other venues with their specials.

IMHO, there's a price you often have to pay for the convenience of cordlessness. However, when it comes to fussy trimming I'm not so pleased if I have to have a tail following me around. Though, it's not like trimming the hedges would be.
Ragman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 08:17 am
@Ragman,
... but...when you go sideways doing a side trim of a shrub, I sure as hell don't want a tail to possibly slice a cord in half.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 08:25 am
@farmerman,
one of the things I wondered about last night was the weight of the rig with a battery

my contractor-grade cordless Makita drills are ******* heavy. I'm pretty strong but I need both hands to hold them up when I'm working. The batteries are the heavy part just like in a phone or camera but much much heavier. The buggers look small but they're dense.

Would your hand be good with that?
jcboy

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 08:30 am
@ehBeth,
I got rid of our electric trimmer. It was a pain dragging out that 50-foot extension cord. Plus I must have cut three of the cords in half.

I bought a gas powered trimmer and it works great, but you’re right about the weight, you will get a good work out using it.
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I have a Milwaukee SAWZALL and use my bad arm to mostly brace it while I do all the handling with my right arm. My right arm s like Popeye , its overdeveloped while mylft is someahtwithered. (I wear long sleeve cotton jerseys when I go about so as not to look too lopsided)
Ya learns ta live with your cards

My front end loader on the old tractor has been outfit with a single control on the lift and dump action. I think I couldve ptented the one I designed, until I saw that they already make em.

Another big idea shot in the ass.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:42 pm
@jcboy,
I have a STIHL weed whacker and Its bullet proof. What I want now is an electric cipper (they used to make em but the battery ones were all underpowered till some of these Li battery ones came out).

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 06:47 am
@farmerman,
Ha! I did wonder, and thought that it might be another terminology thing.

We have hedge clippers, but although we probably have lawn clippers in the shops, I can't say I've ever noticed them, and have never seen or heard of anyone owning or using them.

Normally, I just run the mower carefully around the fussy bits, or get the strimmer out.

Hope you find a good one.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 11:52 am
@Lordyaswas,
Ive been reading those Grdena clippers and it appears that from the 4 or 5 negatives (OUT OF ABOUT 130 reviews). Mot of the dissatisfied customers either lost or ate the EU harger adapter. WHY the hell do we have stuff that int universally daptble?
Its like the fueling of USAF v USN warjets, they each use a different aerial nozzle set up so a USAF tnker plane cannot refuel a USN jet.
DUHHH
Ragman

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 12:23 pm
@farmerman,
Same can be said about so many industry standards...like the non-interchangeability of camera lens, etc. Then there's that pesky linear vs metric tool boondoggle.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 12:51 pm
@Ragman,
at least the cameras make pretty easily manipulated lens adapters.

Ive actually used some of my old Minolta lenses with my Canons. (Course they have no "steady cam" capability
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 03:24 am
I think Im buying a Gardena. Its not as big volted as the Makita but or what I need it for, it seems pretty much on the mark. The cons of the Mkit are that it i so heavy (It does have this skid sld to push it around but that seems like a "bak engineering" design. TheGardena uses wheels and has a handle that all look like they were designed into the original units. (The Gardena is a 7.5 volt the MAkita is an 18 v). Torque seems to be pretty equal but the Makita has a larger clipper and a longer battery life per charge. (An hour nd a half v an hour)>

My old Blck nd Decker, which used a NiCad battery had a 15 minute life and soon after starting, it would begin to grdually lose poer. ALL NiCad stuff is inferior to the neer Li AIR batteries which have an even output pretty much right till the batteries are exhausted.

Yep, Im calling AMAZON.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 03:24 am
@farmerman,
Thanks to all of you who ided me in the decision
roger

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 03:28 am
@farmerman,
I sure wish I had had a suggestion. Even thought about making something up.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 03:43 am
@roger,
I think I wouldnt believe anything you would say anyway. Im still a bit
rankled over your mesquite "review"