TRUE indicators of economic success

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:43 am
Conservatives are pretty quick to bash Clinton, but let's just check out a few of the numbers, shall we?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-outlook28jun28,1,2583966,print.column

Use www.bugmenot.com to bypass registration.

Some good stuff (emphasis is mine):

Quote:
Consider the scorecard. During Clinton's two terms, the median income for American families increased by a solid 15% after inflation, according to Census Bureau figures. But it rose even faster for African Americans (33%) and Hispanics (24%) than it did for whites (14%). The growth was so widely shared that from 1993 through 1999, families in the bottom fifth of the income distribution saw their incomes increase faster than those in the top 5%. By comparison, under President Reagan in the 1980s, those in the top 5% increased their income more than five times faster than the bottom 20%. Likewise, the poverty rate under Clinton fell 25%, the biggest eight-year decline since the 1960s. It fell even faster for particularly vulnerable groups like blacks, Hispanics and children. Again the contrast with Reagan is striking. During Reagan's two terms, the number of Americans in poverty fell by just 77,000. During Clinton's two terms, the number of Americans in poverty plummeted by 8.1 million. The number of children in poverty fell by 50,000 under Reagan. Under Clinton the number was 4.1 million. That's a ratio of 80 to 1.

I'm not saying that the guy was a saint, or a genius, but he sure could get the job done.

I'd like to see a comparison to the last four years. I bet that the numbers are astounding.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 820 • Replies: 2
No top replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 01:46 pm
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:39 pm
Re: TRUE indicators of economic success
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Conservatives are pretty quick to bash Clinton, but let's just check out a few of the numbers, shall we?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-outlook28jun28,1,2583966,print.column

Use www.bugmenot.com to bypass registration.

Some good stuff (emphasis is mine):

Quote:
Consider the scorecard. During Clinton's two terms, the median income for American families increased by a solid 15% after inflation, according to Census Bureau figures. But it rose even faster for African Americans (33%) and Hispanics (24%) than it did for whites (14%). The growth was so widely shared that from 1993 through 1999, families in the bottom fifth of the income distribution saw their incomes increase faster than those in the top 5%. By comparison, under President Reagan in the 1980s, those in the top 5% increased their income more than five times faster than the bottom 20%. Likewise, the poverty rate under Clinton fell 25%, the biggest eight-year decline since the 1960s. It fell even faster for particularly vulnerable groups like blacks, Hispanics and children. Again the contrast with Reagan is striking. During Reagan's two terms, the number of Americans in poverty fell by just 77,000. During Clinton's two terms, the number of Americans in poverty plummeted by 8.1 million. The number of children in poverty fell by 50,000 under Reagan. Under Clinton the number was 4.1 million. That's a ratio of 80 to 1.

I'm not saying that the guy was a saint, or a genius, but he sure could get the job done.

I'd like to see a comparison to the last four years. I bet that the numbers are astounding.

Cycloptichorn

Keep in mind the Republican controlled Congress and the rapid technology boom.
0 Replies