Need to matte and frame a Dali painting I bought at auction.

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 03:20 pm
My wife's aunt bought us a Dali painting at auction and both matte and framing were damaged in shipping. I see that I can go to Michaels for a full work up, but it is pricey. I know I can do it myself but I don't want to mess it up. What would be appropriate for such a piece? If I'm to do it myself, any good suggestions?

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 04:21 pm
@pyrofuego,
I fit were me, I'd suit this to my own taste and budget. I'll ask you thus question? How do you know if this is only a copy - a print, which has no intrinsic value?. If it were a Dali original it would have the proper paperwork proving it's originality.

BTW, if it was shipped you can claim damages from the shipper on the insurance.

Generally speaking I'd find a frame shop ...cheaper than Michael's ... and have it matted and re-framed. Avoid buying a custom frame and avoid a custom-cut matt.Buy a neutral toned matt...factory standard size ..and/or a black frame (Nielsen) should be just fine.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 05:26 pm
On the other hand, what kind of auction? If it's a real painting of his, maybe it is worth a good frame. I do seem to remember he did quite a run of paintings to make money (I may have the wrong guy in memory, and they might have been prints instead of paintings), so some of his may be worth less. What a good frame is, is another question. I would rather have an old imperfect frame that made sense with the painting in its time than something that didn't work with it.

On framers, there are good ones outside the realm of chain store framing that have good judgement and don't cost an arm and a leg. I remember one framer in particular in Ferndale, California who was great and reasonable. Depends on where you live.

Alternately, if it's only a print, grab a frame you like, on the simple side, and keep the dollars from flying away, as Ragman advised.

In any case, I'm a believer in having frame et al fit tightly with no outside air (and bugs) able to enter. There are ways to do that that most framers know.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
I found the thread where Lightwizard talks about the art business. Much food for thought in there. Anyway, at some point it gets to the Dali prints..

http://able2know.org/topic/140-1

(Now there's a person I miss)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 06:39 pm
@pyrofuego,
pyrofuego wrote:

My wife's aunt bought us a Dali painting at auction and both matte and framing were damaged in shipping.

You allegedly bought a Salvador Dali painting in an auction and the auction house DIDN'T INSURE the painting. Neither did you?

Quote:
I see that I can go to Michaels for a full work up, but it is pricey. I know I can do myself but I don't want to mess it up. What would be appropriate for such a piece? If I'm to do it myself, any good suggestions?

Are you sure you didn't buy a cheap poster? If so? Michael's craft shop can't be too expensive for cheap frames.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 06:42 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Generally speaking I'd find a frame shop ...cheaper than Michael's ... and have it matted and re-framed. Avoid buying a custom frame and avoid a custom-cut matt.Buy a neutral toned matt...factory standard size ..and/or a black frame (Nielsen) should be just fine.

On the other hand? If it's a genuine Dali? Custom framing would literally be the only responsible way to protect ones investment.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 07:04 pm
@pyrofuego,
Dali, at the end of his life, was signing blank pieces of Reeves paper and numbering them (as an edition). The unscrupulous printers, in collusion with Dali's family, ran some scribbledy lines (like A cy twombly painting) on litho stones and then ran editions of prints. The only thing youd have is an autogrph by a senile old man who didnt even know what he was doing.

A real, honest to goodness Dali PAINTING can be worth in the low millions. Therfore I ad to the surprise that it would be, seeing that it was not insured by the house.

Its a Dali poster or a Poster signed by Dali. either way, michaels is probably good enough
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 07:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hence the reason I asked the OP the question whether it is an original.

Well, hello Dali ... (singing)
ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 07:09 pm
Depending on size/period etc., some Dali can be affordable (also depends on your personal definition of affordable).

Friends of my mother had Dali originals in their home in Germany. Some very expensive, some much less so.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 07:32 pm
@Ragman,
Rats, you used it before I could.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 07:40 pm
@ehBeth,
he started "signing" blank sheets when they did restrikes of his Men of La Mancha series with Don Quixote an Sancho Panza
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 07:50 pm
@farmerman,
P.S.
I just reread that thread. Farmer was in on that too. What a treasure trove of conversation.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Lightwizard was a real master wasnt he. Miss him
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 12:59 pm
If it's an honest Dali print or painting and has value then I would invest the money into professional framing. I am a professional framer as my day job and it really is much more than wood and cardboard. The matting is not only acid free but archival - meaning it pro actively protects the art from pollutants in the environment by trapping them in the mat. The frames are lined in an acid barrier tape that keeps acids from the wood leeching into the matting and thus the art. The backing is also an acid free foam board and paper that is one more protective layer. Preservation strips and corners are used instead tape to secure the art. UV protected glass/acrylic prevent damage and fading. I would recommend paying the extra for the acrylic option if you plan on insuring the piece. Insurance will not cover art pieces with glass. If you choose to get it professionally framed make sure the place you take it to really uses true preservation quality materials.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 01:21 pm
@Aldistar,
I agree with Aldistar's good advice.
Apparently whoever voted her down doesn't know she is a longtime art poster on a2k and is not a promotional spammer or call and response poster.
Plus, her information is useful, and answered the poster's question well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 02:12 pm
@Aldistar,
whats a good company that sells conservation and archival framing stuff?
I do most of my own matting and framing and stores like AC Moores dont seem to "get it" They do framing and all but they dont do it in a fashion that regards your admonition about "a good peiece of art deserves good display"

0 Replies