17 year old NH boy votes for Bush in primary

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:30 pm
Used his dad's license. He went to court and received 8 hours of community service. A fit punishment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 732 • Replies: 6
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:31 pm
yes....
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:37 pm
I thought so too, at first. Then I considered the ramifications of thousands of teens sneaking in to vote, possibly swaying the results of an election.
I think it's a pretty serious offense, but I also realize he's just a kid.
I hope his community service will be related to civics! He needs a few lessons.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:04 pm
I'm interested in why he could register with his dad's license.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:18 pm
I'm not sure he registered. The voting was held in the high school cafeteria, and the 18 year old students were given a special time to vote. He slipped in with them. I wonder if then his father was not able to cast his own vote. I just heard a blurb on the news, I'll see if I can find more info on the net.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:20 pm
I believe that would come under the "unruly child" law, making him eligible for beating to death.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:38 pm
I guess he did vote in place of his father. here's the story.
Seventeen Year Old Accused of Voting
A seventeen year old man named Mark Lacasse was arrested for voting in Londonderry, NH.

He was voting for Bush in the GOP primary this past January. His eighteen year old classmates had been called to the gym to vote if they so wished, and Lacasse joined them and voted in place of his father. The event first came to light when he told his classmates. While if Mr. Lacasse had been only a few months older he would have been patted on the back by fulfilling his civic duty, but instead Mr. Lacasse could be slapped
with a 2,000 dollar fine and one year in jail, because of his age.

Town elections moderator John Michels is treating this as a childish prank, and claims Lacasse did not understand what he was doing. However, Mark Lacasse is a well known local Republican activist, and had recently held a pro-Bush gathering in his home. Police plan to pursue the matter, claiming that a young person voting is a crime that goes to the very heart of our democracy. NYRA does not know the motives behind Lacasse's actions, but is treating this as a serious political statement and act of civil disobedience until informed otherwise. Mark Lacasse was recently arrested, and could not be reached for comment.
http://www.youthrights.org/nyrafreedom/volume4/issue4.shtml
And part of another story that wants payment for the rest! Publication: Union Leader, The
(Manchester, NH)
Page Number: b2ld

MARK LACASSE, a 17-year-old senior at Londonderry High School, allegedly walked into his high school gym and effortlessly cast an illegal ballot in the Republican Presidential primary. Lacasse's youthfully exuberant action strikes us as less of a crime than the state's deliberate inaction in passing serious election security measures.
0 Replies