Americas most haunted houses/inns/

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 03:40 pm
What are the top 20 most haunted houses in the USA?
Anybody out there with stories to tell?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,272 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:50 pm
Winchester House in San Jose, California.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:03 pm
Yeh, Winchester House. If it isn't haunted, it oughta be.

Also on the list should be the Hotel del Coronado in Coronado (San Diego) California. There are supposed to be lots of ghosts there.

In my part of the country, there is a 180-year old building (currently "Kelly's Bar") in the Westport neighborhood of Kansas City that once belonged to frontiersman Jim Bridger. There are rumors that remodelers discovered chains/manacles on the walls of the basement, supposedly where pre-Civil War slaves were abused. The slaves are supposed to haunt the bar to this day.

Speaking of slave ghosts, there's a plantation house near Baton Rouge that is supposed to be filled with ghosts- Darn I can't remember the name of the place.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:10 pm
Equus, Heard tales the Winchester House being haunted. Here's a list of Baton Rouge haunted houses. Which one you thinking about? http://theshadowlands.net/places/louisiana.htm
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:16 pm
Hmmm. None of those look familiar. It was featured on one of those haunted house TV specials a while back

Another one-not a haunted house but a haunted road- I think it is in Texas or Oklahoma? Where a train hit a schoolbus full of children and killed many of them in the 1940's. Supposedly if you stop your car on the road and put it in neutral, your car will roll UPHILL slowly, away from the train crossing. Probably an optical illusion, but brrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:24 pm
It was THE MYRTLES PLANTATION in St. Francisville, LA I was thinking of.

www.myrtlesplantation.com
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:25 pm
There's also a haunted road in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. My brother-in-law drove us through that road many, many, years ago when he was stationed at Hickam Field.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:14 pm
Las Posada in santa fe new mexico is supposed to be haunted.
I kinda doubt that though. It seems to be haunted only when people leave thier trailors and stay the night in the hotel. After words , theyput on thier best hair curlors and run to the nearest reporter with thier encounter.

:-)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 08:01 am
How about Lizzie Borden's Bed & Breakfast in Fall River, Mass. Supposedly it is kept up similar to how it was when the murders occurred. Unfortunately it was recently bought and may become a Starbucks.

In Salem, MA location of the witch hunts, is the Hawthorne Hotel. Over 200 people died during the witch trials. Many of them may in fact now be residing in this hotel. I have had a wonderful valentine dinner here, but did not see any ghosts.

Thornewood Castle in Tacoma is supposed to be haunted. The Stephen King movie "Rose Red" was filmed there. Some guests have seen Anna, Chester's wife, sitting in the window seat of her room overlooking the garden. Some claimed to see her reflection in her original mirror in the room she occupied. The Thornes son in law shot himself in the gun closet, and his ghost has been seen. Another ghost is of the grandchild of a former owner who drowned in the lake. Occasionally guests will rush down from our Grandview Suite concerned because there's a small child alone by the lake, and then find no child there.

Or another if you like Stephen King is the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO where the Shining originated from. The updated mini-series was actually filmed there. In the music room, Mrs. Stanley's favorite, you may hear the piano playing by itself. Or you may feel the presence of Mr. F.O. Stanley around the lobby or in his favorite space, the Billiard room.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:35 pm
Hi all,
I like this thread and recognize some of the places from the "Haunted History" shows from either the Travel Channel or the History Channel, I forget which one.

Umm, a word here about the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem. I had heard on a website it was haunted, and so I checked into the history. It was actually built in either the 1930's or 40's. However, it is close to Cambridge Common, and the original witch museum is near there (I couldn't believe it when I went to Salem this winter, there are now 3 witch museums.) A few years back, took friends from NY to Salem in Oct., because that's the time of year, through the whole month there are things going on. We went on the historical tour, I thought the hangings were down further, toward the cemetaries, where we were, a few blocks from the commoon.

However, I've felt funny every time I go into the hotel, it never bothered me before, but it now does--I went to Australia in 2000, and had a little deja vu type experience and ever since--whenever I go in there, I feel like someone is following me. It happens occasionally to me in other places. It also happened at the House of Seven Gables, this past winter, again I took a friend from out of town there. We went on the tour, and I felt like I was being followed, and it was cold. I my friend if she was cold, and she said no, so that was it. I don't know if it's my imagination, but I"m getting used to it happening to me.

Years ago, with the NY friends, I took a picture of the back of the Gables. I remember I knelt in the middle of the street to get the shot--with the sunlight--dappling through the trees. Anyway, the photo is sort of creepy, it looks like a blurry gray figure is peeking out the window. I didn't really think much of it, I asked my dad to take a closer look, with a magnifying glass, and he said it's the effect of the sunlight bouncing off the glass. And that was that.

Another place that is supposed to be haunted is the Boston Athenaeum Library. I always feel uneasy there, especially in the upper floors and I just dismissed it every time. But last Halloween, they gave out a historical sheet about how the building is supposed haunted by of the members, and it was Nathaniel Hawthorne who first saw him, the day after he died, supposedly reading in the reading room, et al.
Just a bit of trivia, et al.
: )
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:37 pm
Hi all,
I like this thread and recognize some of the places from the "Haunted History" shows from either the Travel Channel or the History Channel, I forget which one.

Umm, a word here about the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem. I had heard on a website it was haunted, and so I checked into the history. It was actually built in either the 1930's or 40's. However, it is close to Cambridge Common, and the original witch museum is near there (I couldn't believe it when I went to Salem this winter, there are now 3 witch museums.) A few years back, took friends from NY to Salem in Oct., because that's the time of year, through the whole month there are things going on. We went on the historical tour, I thought the hangings were down further, toward the cemetaries, where we were, a few blocks from the commoon.

However, I've felt funny every time I go into the hotel, it never bothered me before, but it now does--I went to Australia in 2000, and had a little deja vu type experience and ever since--whenever I go in there, I feel like someone is following me. It happens occasionally to me in other places. It also happened at the House of Seven Gables, this past winter, again I took a friend from out of town there. We went on the tour, and I felt like I was being followed, and it was cold. I my friend if she was cold, and she said no, so that was it. I don't know if it's my imagination, but I"m getting used to it happening to me.

Years ago, with the NY friends, I took a picture of the back of the Gables. I remember I knelt in the middle of the street to get the shot--with the sunlight--dappling through the trees. Anyway, the photo is sort of creepy, it looks like a blurry gray figure is peeking out the window. I didn't really think much of it, I asked my dad to take a closer look, with a magnifying glass, and he said it's the effect of the sunlight bouncing off the glass. And that was that.

Another place that is supposed to be haunted is the Boston Athenaeum Library. I always feel uneasy there, especially in the upper floors and I just dismissed it every time. But last Halloween, they gave out a historical sheet about how the building is supposed haunted by of the members, and it was Nathaniel Hawthorne who first saw him, the day after he died, supposedly reading in the reading room, et al.
Just a bit of trivia, et al.
: )
0 Replies

hollaatme

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:23 pm
haunted
Equus wrote:
Hmmm. None of those look familiar. It was featured on one of those haunted house TV specials a while back

Another one-not a haunted house but a haunted road- I think it is in Texas or Oklahoma? Where a train hit a schoolbus full of children and killed many of them in the 1940's. Supposedly if you stop your car on the road and put it in neutral, your car will roll UPHILL slowly, away from the train crossing. Probably an optical illusion, but brrrrrrrrr.

Actually, its Oklahoma and it goes more like this:
Bartlesville - Haunted Hill - When you have your car to where you are about to go up the hill and you turn your car off and, put your car in neutral. It is believed that there where some guys that were hung years ago will push your car up the hill. - Directions to haunted hill : Take Hwy. 11 going north past the airport, follow to highway. 75 north to Bartlesville. Follow that road for like thirty minutes and then you will se a tractor place on your left. Turn left after it. Go straight for like 3 miles or so. You will go over a bridge and then railroad tracks, keep going straight. Then you will come to a "Y" in the road, the "Y"'s street sign will say GAP ROAD just go straight until you come to a curve that curves left. Don't take the curve, turn around and go up a few feet. TURN OFF YOUR CAR, PUT IT IN NEUTRAL, WAIT A FEW SECOND AND YOU WILL FEEL THE GUYS PUSHING YOU UP THE HILL.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
Thx for the info. I'll have to try it out if I ever get by that way.

I spent half the night one night waiting for a famous spook light in Oklahoma. Right over the state line from Missouri: The Joplin Spook Light/ Hornet Spook Light. It never showed up. It is supposed to appear on a lonely farm road- I was on the right road but it wasn't so lonely- lots of necking teenagers from nearby Joplin who were there looking for scarier entertainment than spook lights.
0 Replies