Does "by overpaying themselves for performance" mean "by doing something superficial"?

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 10:34 am

Context:

Does moral behavior draw on a belief in free will? Two experiments examined whether inducing participants to believe that human behavior is predetermined would encourage cheating. In Experiment 1, participants read either text that encouraged a belief in determinism (i.e., that portrayed behavior as the consequence of environmental and genetic factors) or neutral text. Exposure to the deterministic message increased cheating on a task in which participants could passively allow a flawed computer program to reveal answers to mathematical problems that they had been instructed to solve themselves. Moreover, increased cheating behavior was mediated by decreased belief in free will. In Experiment 2, participants who read deterministic statements cheated by overpaying themselves for performance on a cognitive task; participants who read statements endorsing free will did not. These findings suggest that the debate over free will has societal, as well as scientific and theoretical, implications

More:
http://pss.sagepub.com/content/19/1/49.short
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 480 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 05:08 pm
@oristarA,
In this context it sounds like it means that they just gave themselves more "points" than they actually earned on some kinda "self-scoring" test. They are (over) "paying" themselves for "performance on a cognitive task" (some kind of test).
oristarA

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 06:19 pm
@layman,
Cool.
Thanks.
layman

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 06:21 pm
@oristarA,
Anytime. Course you know it's just my best guess. If it makes sense to you, then maybe it's right, eh?
oristarA

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 08:27 pm
@layman,
That is indeed a best guess. But to be absolutely certain, we'd have to read the entire article if we can download it (better free of charge).
0 Replies