First Challenge For Progressives

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:54 am
Well it looks like the Democrats may be facing thier first test in the form of the "Stimulus Package". I heard Senator Boxer on NPR a few days ago sounding like a "True Democrat", but is it just talk?

This could mark an opportunity for the Democrats to try a new strategy to get back to basics. Here's what MY strategy would be.

1. Much as an article in The Nation said, mobilize people from "Solid Progressive" districts (Lee, Waters, Kunich, Saunders, Frank) to become front-liners.

2. Get these people to point out how Bush is helping his contributors at the expense of the people (This would also apply to Judgeships, Energy and Environmental policy).

3. Work to build an alliance between these "True Democrats" and the growing "Anti-Corporate" movement.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,122 • Replies: 4
No top replies

au1929

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:17 pm
For the average American there is more stimulant in a cup of coffee than this package. However, for the wealthy it is Christmas in January.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:52 pm
Heard something on NPR last night that Democratic senators from states that went for Bush may be reluctant to vote against the Bush stimulus package. Good grief. If they're afraid, then who needs them in office?

The Bush package provides a perfect opportunity for Democrats to stand up and be counted. It will be relatively easy to show this package for what it is: A benefit for the well-off that will cost the nation a fortune. If the Democrats lose the battle, then so be it. At least they will have stood for something. And there's always next time!
Mad
0 Replies

marvan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:59 pm
It is a good idea for Democrats to get back to the basics of their party.One reason the majority of elligible voters no longer go to the polls is that they see us as a one party system. One reason Democrats are loosing elections is in recent years is that they have been cozying up to Wall St. and corporate fat cats. They need to address the major issues instead of focusing on minor ones but for some reason the still don't get it and believe they can win elections by pleasing the opposition.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:37 pm
I am neither a Wall Street type nor am I a corporate fat cat. I am, I am proud to write, a Democrat in a nation with two major political parties.

The real constituency of the Democrat party has always been the forgotten Americans: the working poor, minorities, people who live from paycheck to paycheck, go to work every day and love their family, their nation and their God.

The Democrat party, unlike the GOP, is a party of inclusion. It leaves no one out. The recent flap with Trent Lott reminded us once again that the power base of the modern Republican party is the Southern, racist, white male who will stop at nothing to uphold the supremacy of his kind.

This sad legacy of the GOP, dating back to Barry Goldwater in 1964, is one of which I would not be very proud. It is a legacy of racism and bigotry which keeps the nation divided.
0 Replies