David Cobb and Pat LaMarche for pres and vp - Green

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:54 pm
Cobb claims more ballot lines
Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Arkansas, Iowa bring total to 29

David Cobb's campaign has helped put another four state Green Parties on the ballot (gallery photo)
The Cobb-LaMarche campaign is on the ballot in four more states, bringing to 29 the total number of states for which the Green Party ticket has qualified so far. Today, Vice Presidential candidate Pat LaMarche joins Iowa Greens as they submit their petition signatures to place the ticket on Iowa's ballot. LaMarche was in Nebraska yesterday with Nebraska Green Party members when they turned in their qualifying signatures.
Also yesterday, in a major accomplishment, Pennsylvania Green Party members turned in over 30,000 petition signatures to qualify the Cobb-LaMarche campaign for the Pennsylvania ballot.
the rest of this article or the rest of the news
Greens celebrate victory over Democrats
Illinois Greens Credit Cobb Campaign
Greens across the country today celebrated the July 27 decision of an Illinois Electoral Board which upheld the right of four Green candidates to remain on the ballot in Champaign County. The candidates' right to ballot access had been challenged by local members of the Democratic Party.

"I want to congratulate the Champaign County Greens for standing up for their rights to participate in the democratic process and for succeeding. Greens are getting elected all across the country, against all odds, in a system which not only tries to prevent our participation, but which challenges our existence," said Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb. Cobb went on to say that restrictive ballot access laws were created by Republicans and Democrats to prevent other parties and candidate from getting on the ballot.
the rest of this article or the rest of the news
Green Party Vice Presidential Candidate Pat LaMarche to visit Lincoln, Nebraska, Monday
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:13 pm
"I've never run telling people who to vote for. They should do whatever their conscience dictates." At first, Pat LaMarche thought it might be best if the Green Party sat out the 2004 election. Then she realized that the party's issues were too important not to be a part of the national debate. She worried that the Democrats didn't think they were important enough. So her own conscience dictated that she spend a few months on the road bringing Green Party concerns to the public as the party's 2004 candidate for vice president of the United States.
But when it comes down to the wire, she feels an "Anybody But Bush" attitude is understandable. She won't tell you not to vote for Kerry if you're afraid of helping Bush get re-elected.
LaMarche has no illusions that she'll be occupying the White House come November, though it'd be nice if she could. In order to accept the nomination--stumping alongside Green Party icon David Cobb, who wrested the presidential nomination from a dithering Ralph Nader--LaMarche had to take a leave from her radio talk show. She's worried about making her house payments. Free rent in D.C. wouldn't hurt.
An upset, or even a Naderesque role as "spoiler," is highly unlikely. LaMarche has some celebrity status in Maine, which has the highest percentage of Green Party voters in the country--but that adds up to a whopping 3 percent of the state's registered voters. A Green for eight years, and an activist for Green-friendly causes for much longer than that ("some of my listeners came to my house and told me that I was a Green, and I found out they were right"), LaMarche has never held elected office. The closest she's come was a race for governor of Maine in which she got nearly 7 percent of the vote.
LaMarche dropped by the Advocate offices in downtown New Haven last Friday as part of the sort of day one associates with political candidates in an election year. She had a slew of interviews scheduled, and a fundraiser in Orange that night. On the top of her sightseeing list: a quick trip to see the Amistad schooner. She's down-to-earth, bubbly, unreserved, alternately sharp-tongued and gentle. She's quite a change from conventional candidates whose every remark is vetted, scripted and rehearsed. LaMarche acts like a happy traveler, eager to make new friends.
LaMarche says people in her situation--"financially unstable, a single mom since 1989"--can't usually afford to run for office, which is one reason why "we don't have more women candidates." She jumped into the race this year due to general outrage.
"I had thought that this was a campaign we {Greens} should sit out," she says. "But then I heard John Kerry say that having some pro-life Supreme Court judges might not be that bad! "
The morning after Kerry's speech at the Democratic National Convention, LaMarche was angry at "all the things he left out, like gay marriage. If Bush is going to make such a deal out of it, then you really ought to say something. There were so many issues that were ignored." She was especially upset that, while polls showed a vast majority of the convention delegates were anti-war, Kerry gave an almost entirely pro-war speech.
That's why LaMarche is in the race--to provide a platform for other voices. "What the heck, it's only 126 days of maybe losing my house."
Though she hasn't lost that house yet, LaMarche will spend 14 nights of the campaign in homeless shelters throughout the country, to draw attention to some of her pet issues: poverty and homelessness. The fortnight of faux indigence has been planned so that she's in Cleveland on the night of the vice presidential debates there. No, the Greens haven't been invited to take part, but she'll be there to grab some media attention and highlight the Green platformhttp://www.votecobb.net/gallery/patatadvocate.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 04:39 am
thanks for the update, edgar
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 05:25 am
And, she's prettier than the other VP candidates.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 06:30 pm
http://www.votecobb.org/Members/Blydude/CobbPA%20007.jpg

A face with the name.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
Posted on Fri, Oct. 01, 2004

Three local undecided voters get different impressions of debates

Stephanie Finucane

The Tribune

ARROYO GRANDE - Two of San Luis Obispo County's undecided voters -- Thad Maziarz, 82, and Mary Talbot, 56 -- believe John Kerry won Thursday's debate, but that doesn't necessarily mean Kerry will get their votes.

A third undecided voter, Justin Housman, 26, of Baywood Park came away from the debate disappointed in both candidates and more determined to vote for a third-party candidate.

The Tribune is following the three undecided voters through the presidential campaign because close observers have suggested that voters who say they are undecided could swing the election to one candidate or the other.

Housman said he's no longer considering Kerry and has narrowed his choice to Green Party candidate David Cobb or Ralph Nader.

"Kerry is really disappointing me, and the debate did little to shore up my confidence," said the Cuesta College student. "If anything, my resolve to vote for a progressive candidate has gotten stronger."

Maziarz, a retired engineer who lives in Atascadero, said he was impressed with Kerry's presentation but is still leaning toward President Bush.

"I don't like the idea of changing presidents in mid-stream," said Maziarz. "I think it would give a bad signal to the terrorists. They would say, 'We won. The guy who was fighting us is gone.' "

Talbot of Arroyo Grande already was leaning toward Kerry before the debate.

"The debate did influence me, more in favor of Kerry," said the retired human resources manager.

Kerry, she believes, had numerous strong moments in the debate, "especially when he said that Iraq is not the center of the war on terror and when he talked about nuclear proliferation. Kerry very successfully put Bush on the defensive many times."

Housman, though, thinks Kerry missed opportunities to "attack Bush's goal of reshaping the world to Bush's own design."

"The debate only convinced me that Kerry and Bush could be running mates," said Housman, who will be voting for president for the first time.

He thinks Bush won the debate.

"Kerry made the most intelligent and logical arguments, but Bush played to the nonthinking, overly moralistic, easily swayed viewer, and I think in that sense he 'won' the debate," said Housman.

Maziarz thought Kerry came across as more resolute than the president.

Talbot criticized Bush, saying he "clearly cannot separate Saddam Hussein from terrorism. He has a blind spot, which weakened all of his arguments regarding Iraq," she said.

She faulted Kerry for accusing Bush of failing to work on building a coalition to attack Iraq.

"The Bush administration worked very hard at doing just that. Additionally, Kerry's closing remarks were the usual pablum, nothing concrete," she said.

She did, however, believe the debate itself was well done.

"The questions were good; the answers were pretty much on point. They didn't get involved in a lot of attacking one another," said Talbot.

Maziarz would have liked more back-and-forth exchanges.

"I did not see a debate," he said. "What I saw was a choreographed talk show."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephanie Finucane covers county issues for The Tribune
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:47 pm
edgar wrote:
That's why us Texans have to work for Green successes.

That's why you and nimh have convinced me to vote Green.

Thanks guys.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 03:05 pm
de nada
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 09:58 am
InfraBlue wrote:
edgar wrote:
That's why us Texans have to work for Green successes.

That's why you and nimh have convinced me to vote Green.

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys. Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 09:59 am
Good thing this forum forbids personal attacks.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:26 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Good thing this forum forbids personal attacks.

Oh please don't let that stop you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:25 am
From votecobb.org:

Unoffical Vote Count (updated periodically): based on results of 99% of the vote being counted at 8:00am PST the Cobb/LaMarche campaign received 104,087 votes. This total does not include write in votes and votes are still being counted.

The Cobb-LaMarche campaign has been the subject of front page news stories across the country and has helped the Green Party grow in places as far flung as Nebraska, Oklahoma, Corvallis, Oregon and San Luis Obispo, California. In Arkansas, Green Party vice presidential candidate Pat LaMarche's visit produced truckloads of donations of food and essentials to the Salvation Army Shelter. In Wisconsin, David Cobb's campaign swing there generated dozens of news stories and a rousing speech to over three thousand people.

Cobb also campaigned with two Green candidates who have broken barriers by being endorsed by major newspapers. The Fort Collins Coloradoan has endorsed Green Party 4th Congressional candidate Bob Kinsey and the Iowa City Press Citizen gave its endorsement to U.S. Senate candidate Daryl Northrup.

Today's election will produce a number of firsts for the Green Party, including the first Green elected to office in Mississippi.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:05 am
The Cobb/LaMarche vote total now stands at 105,590. This is without write-in votes.

It compares to 394,821 votes for Nader and 377,345 votes for Badnarik.

Cobb got most of his votes from California (32 thousand) and Massachusetts (11 thousand), the runners-up being Connecticut (9 thousand), Pennsylvania (6 thousand) and Michigan (5 thousand).

Nader's votes show a different pattern: most of his came from New York (103 thousand), followed by 32 thousand votes in Florida, 24 thousand in Michigan, 19 thousand in New Jersey and 16 thousand in Minnesota.

Libertarian candidate Badnarik got most of his votes in California (40 thousand), Texas (39 thousand), Illinois (32 thousand), Pennsylvania (21 thousand) and Indiana (19 thousand).

See here
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:09 am
Quote:
GREEN ELECTION HIGHLIGHTS: EDER REELECTED TO THE MAINE STATEHOUSE; SIGNIFICANT WINS IN CALIFORNIA

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Green Party announced several victories in the 2004 election, especially incumbents for state, county, and municipal office. The party also congratulated national nominees David Cobb and Pat LaMarche for running in a difficult election year.

[..] Some election results:

-- John Eder was returned to the Maine Statehouse with about 55% of the vote in a three-way race. Democrats in Maine had tried to weaken Mr. Eder by redrawing district lines.

-- Greens retain city council majority in Sebastopol, California, after winning two of two seats (incumbent Craig Litwin, incumbent; Sam Pierce) to retain three out of five seats.

-- Colorado County Commissioner Art Goodtimes was reelected to a third term in a partisan, three-way race with 50.7%

-- Mark Sanchez is now the first Green in San Francisco to be re-elected, finishing third out of twelve for four seats on the Board of Education.

-- San Francisco Green Ross Mirkarimi is currently in the lead in an Instant Runoff Voting election to replace Green Supervisor Matt Gonzalez. "Greens in California are enormously proud that IRV was implemented in San Francisco," said Peggy Lewis, California Green and co-chair of the national party. [..]

-- In Washington, D.C., Statehood Green candidates won six out of seven seats for which they competed in local-level, nonpartisan Advisory Neighborhood Commission races.

-- Green candidates ran in 356 races in the 2004 election, with record numbers of candidates in California, Delaware, D.C., Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin. National Green Party voter registration now stands at an all time high of 311,350 in 22 States. This number omits Greens in states where the Green Party has not yet achieved ballot status and in states that don't permit party registration. State-by-state totals: <http://web.greens.org/stats>

LINK
0 Replies