Should John Kerry Honor Boston Police Picket Line ?

Miller

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:45 am
Kerry cancels speech, honors picket line

By Nedra Pickler, Associated Press Writer | June 26, 2004

BOSTON --Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry may cancel plans to speak to the U.S. Conference of Mayors rather than cross a police officers' picket line.

Kerry spokesman David Wade told reporters Saturday afternoon that Kerry would not give his scheduled Monday morning speech because of protests at the conference. Later, Wade said the campaign was monitoring the situation and still hadn't decided whether he would speak.

"He's never crossed picket lines in his time in public life," Wade said.

Boston police officers, pressing for a more generous contract, marched outside the Sheraton Boston Hotel Saturday morning where the mayors from across the country are holding their annual meeting.

The Boston Police Patrolmen's Association, which has a history of endorsing Republican presidential candidates, is seeking a raise of about 17 percent over four years. Boston's Democratic mayor Thomas Menino has offered 11.9 percent.

Two weeks ago, picketing city union workers caused a three-day delay of renovations to the FleetCenter for the Democratic National Convention, and protests are planned during the convention itself next month.

In addition to picketing the hotel and other events during the mayors' meeting, the police union has rented a 68-foot yacht and plans to cruise past the waterfront library with a giant banner that reads: "How Many Mayors Does it Take to Sign a Contract?"

The police union has been without a contract for two years.

Menino has said he wants to resolve the contracts but can't promise the police union money that the city doesn't have.

Boston.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,244 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 05:15 pm
Keep watching.

Kerry floated a proposal to turn the Dem convention into a big commercial, and not have the nomination--so he could prolong fundraising. He was smacked down by everyone, so he said--Just kidding.

Now, he is building up this "I've never crossed a picket line" bullshit, so when the Boston police are picketing the Convention site, he can have a big 'moment', refuse to cross the picket line, and keep raising money.

Never crossed a picket line...my ass...that's because he has servants to do it for him...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 05:20 pm
Anyone in their right mind sould honor a legal picket line. Especially if the workers that are walking the line are authrized to carry weapons.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 09:36 pm
There's more union members in the world than there are mayors.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 10:05 pm
The headline reads, "Kerry cancels speech, honors picket line"

The story conflicts with the headline, saying that he "may" cancel the speech. Typical media spin.

And this quote, "Kerry spokesman David Wade told reporters Saturday afternoon that Kerry would not give his scheduled Monday morning speech because of protests at the conference. Later, Wade said the campaign was monitoring the situation and still hadn't decided whether he would speak," is typical Kerry.

"I own SUV's. I don't own any SUV's. I won't cross any picket line. I might cross a picket line."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 11:54 pm
Kerry won't cross picket line to make speech
Kerry Won't Cross Picket Line for Speech
By THEO EMERY, Associated Press Writer
6/27/04

BOSTON - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry on Sunday canceled an appearance at the U.S. Conference of Mayors rather than cross a promised police union picket line at the event.

"I don't cross picket lines. I never have," Kerry said as he left Mass Sunday night at Our Lady of Good Voyage chapel in South Boston.

His decision came hours after Boston Mayor Thomas Menino called on Kerry to attend, calling the conference "an important event for urban America," and saying the pickets set up by the Boston Police Patrolmen's Association and other union members did not constitute a legitimate picket line.

Menino has been locked in a battle with several city unions over unsettled contracts.

"We know that people on both sides have been working in good faith to resolve the situation, and we hope that they will redouble their efforts to find a resolution," said Kerry campaign spokesman David Wade.

Menino said that he spoke with Kerry on Sunday evening, and that he was "very, very disappointed" with Kerry's decision.

"I would think that he would come and talk to the mayors who are making a difference in America everyday, who are on the front lines of the issues that face working people," Menino said.

"We're very proud of the senator and his stand," said Jim Barry, a spokesman for the police union.

Detroit Mayor Kwame M. Kilpatrick said he was disappointed and angry.

"This was the opportunity for Sen. John Kerry to give a message for how he's going to help mayors and cities," Kilpatrick said. "I'm concerned whether he's going to support the mayors of this country in delivering for their citizens."

Conference President James A. Garner, mayor of Hempstead, N.Y., said in a statement released early Monday that the mayors are disappointed, and hoped to meet with Kerry soon to discuss issues facing American cities.

More than 200 mayors are attending the conference, a nonpartisan organization that brings together mayors from cities with populations of more than 30,000.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 12:27 pm
How is someone going to be elected PRESIDENT when he can't work with groups of people to settle disputes? He should have gone to the conference and tried to settle things. However, he needs those union votes. This seals my opinion on whether or not Kerry will be an effective leader.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 01:43 pm
cereal said
Quote:
How is someone going to be elected PRESIDENT when he can't work with groups of people to settle disputes?

Like between Sunnis and Shiites? Or Israelis and Palestinians?

sofia said
Quote:
Keep watching.
Kerry floated a proposal to turn the Dem convention into a big commercial, and not have the nomination--so he could prolong fundraising. He was smacked down by everyone, so he said--Just kidding.

Now, he is building up this "I've never crossed a picket line" bullshit, so when the Boston police are picketing the Convention site, he can have a big 'moment', refuse to cross the picket line, and keep raising money.

Never crossed a picket line...my ass...that's because he has servants to do it for him...

I suppose he could have suggested the convention be held at a dog pound filled with sad-eyed puppies or even in the missing shadows of the WTC. You know, to get away from the 'convention as ad' thing you speak of.

We'll all wait for photos which we are sure you have of Kerry crossing picket lines in a Bentley. As to servants, would you like me to introduce you to someone who's been over at George's house many times, to get the inside skinny on how he does his own garden and unplugs his own toilets?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:27 pm
BBB
If the unions were smart they would reward Kerry's honoring of their picket line by withdrawing it temporarily so Kerry could make his speech and then restore the picket line after he's gone. That's a win-win solution.

BBB
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:31 pm
News came out today that Teresa (and John by extension) is worth a cool BILLION
<pinky extended to corner of pursed lips>

A BILLLLLION.

I'm thinking their servants have servants. Too rich for George's blood, I'm sure.

Yeah, but he's down with the peeps, no doubt.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:39 pm
Sofia
Sofia, at least Mrs. Heinz-Kerry didn't make her money by win-win arrangements with the Saudi Arabia royal family as the Bushes have for decades.

BBB
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:03 pm
Re: Sofia
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Sofia, at least Mrs. Heinz-Kerry didn't make her money by win-win arrangements with the Saudi Arabia royal family as the Bushes have for decades.

BBB

The only thing, our "beloved Teresa " did, was to marry a big bucks guy ( her first husband )! Need I say more? Question

I can't help but wonder how much stock, she holds in the Sealy Posturepedic Corporation!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 05:14 pm
I bet she zeroes out her taxes, and we KNOW she outsources Murrican jobs!

Kerry can't win with her slung around his neck.

But, I'm sure the vacations are to die for.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:10 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
Anyone in their right mind sould honor a legal picket line. Especially if the workers that are walking the line are authrized to carry weapons.

This particular group of thugs are LEGALLY FORBIDDEN from striking. They also have committed FEDERAL CRIMES already, when the blocked the entrance to the FleetCenter when work crews tried to enter several weeks ago. It took a federal judge's order & US Marshals to stop that thuggery.

Unions have crossed the line: they are rapidly approaching the status of domestic terrorist groups.
0 Replies

tony2481

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
John Kerry has no more to do with the Boston police & fire pickett line than he does with the price of tea in China. He has no power to solve their problems. He is not a member of their organization. The whole thing is a big political circle jerk.

Unions are much more succesful at squashing business and jobs than they are at "helping the working man." When a union puts the survival of the institution over the interest of its members it becomes quite pointless. They discurage quality workers because they base their pay on years of service and not individual performance. Many long time union workers are barely subsistant because the union takes so much of their, otherwise, reasonable wages.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:07 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:

Two good points, Joanne. As for the first, is there any reason to believe this is a legal picket. It is only their workplace in the broadest sense that anything in the city may become a part of their workplace. They would have to really be reaching to try that logic.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:44 pm
Well ... Kerry did take some political risk by deciding not to cross the picket line (just like, of course, he would have taken a risk if he had) - it looks like political life back in Boston hasnt become any easier for him ... will it have any detrimental effect on how the Dem convention will go there, or will this guy be over his hissy fit by then?:

Quote:

By David R. Guarino and Noelle Straub
Wednesday, June 30, 2004
The Boston Herald

Mayor Thomas M. Menino unloaded a searing attack on fellow Democrat John F. Kerry [related, bio] yesterday, calling his presidential campaign "small-minded'' and "incompetent'' - laying bare a years-old rift weeks before the city plays host to Kerry's FleetCenter coronation.

Menino, in an exclusive Herald interview, let loose on the hometown senator two days after Kerry snubbed him by siding with union picketers outside a U.S. Conference of Mayors event.

"Maybe they should use some of their energies to get their message across to the American people instead of trying to destroy the integrity of someone who is on their team, to try to discredit someone on their team,'' Menino said. "They have better things to do.'' [..]

Kerry and Menino ended up on opposite sides this weekend as Kerry debated skipping a scheduled speech to the mayors.

Kerry decided late Sunday night not to give the speech in deference to picketing cops, angering Menino - who quickly replaced him with Republican Gov. Mitt Romney, in a reciprocal snub.

Menino said he was enraged to see a local newspaper item saying he hung up on Kerry Sunday. The mayor yesterday said Kerry's campaign floated the story, which he called untrue. [..]

A few hours earlier, the mayor stood with Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe at a press conference cheering Kerry as "the next president of the United States.''

"We are all on the same team, I thought. Evidently, we're not,'' he said. "This is typical of small-minded individuals who have to create controversy.''

Kerry's campaign refused to make the senator available for comment last night, but suggested Menino might be stressed out.

"The mayor is in the middle of running the city and helping prepare Boston for the national and international spotlight as the Democratic National Convention comes to John Kerry's hometown, where Kerry will accept his party's nomination for president,'' spokesman Michael Meehan wrote in an e-mail response. "These are two very pressure packed jobs and the mayor understandably is working hard to be successful at both.''

Sources close to the Kerry campaign and the mayor say they worry about the rift continuing through the convention - already plagued with bad headlines - and into the general election.

Aides to Menino say the famously fickle mayor has never felt particularly close to Kerry and could well hold back some of his ground troops, which helped put Kerry over the top in critical primaries.
0 Replies

Solon

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 11:57 pm
Kerry's just pretending to be a poser.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:10 am
nimh wrote:
Well ... Kerry did take some political risk by deciding not to cross the picket line (just like, of course, he would have taken a risk if he had) - it looks like political life back in Boston hasnt become any easier for him ... will it have any detrimental effect on how the Dem convention will go there, or will this guy be over his hissy fit by then?:

The "fight", if there is anything here is really between the Police Union and "Mumbles" Menino (the mayor of Boston) and Kerry is getting used as a pawn by both sides.

Now that Kerry honored the picket line the Police Union is promising not to demonstrate at the DNC so that there isn't any detraction from Kerry but instead they are planning on setting up lines at most of the major Convention parties.

By siding with the union Kerry made Menino look bad and now Menino (who's been organizing most of those parties) is talking about canceling many of the off-site Convention events to avoid confrontation with the unions.

Anyway, it's an "in-party" goat-rope here. Kerry and Meninio are both Democrats and the Union almost always throws their support to the Dem Party. The egg-on-the-face is really landing on Menino for stalling the Union contract talks for the last 2 years and it's all coming back to him right now.
0 Replies