Sales Rep Info & Advice needed.

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:43 pm
Dear Readers,
I may potentially become a sales representative for medical supplies. However, I am feeling a bit insecure and nervous about it. Personally, having worked at medical offices in the past, I am fully aware of how difficult it can be to accept a sales call and get the doctors attention about it . In most cases, the Doctor is already very busy and there are usually many other sales and marketing calls to the office. With this in mind, how do you get the Doctor to notice you and give you the time of the day? I thought about calling but suddenly felt discouraged when I thought about how many zillions of other people do the same. If you have professional experience as a sales rep do you have any advice or tips that will help get me in the door?

FYI:
*I'm young, and attractive looking.
*Good communicator and have a large vocabulary
*Once I feel comfortable I can be persuasive and people generally like my personality
*I can easily and naturally adapt to an individuals personality (scary, I know:)

Thank you in advance to any-one who took the time to read this post and reply.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 519 • Replies: 5
No top replies

chai2

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 02:06 pm
Isn't it ususally the office staff, in particular the office manager that gets you in to see/talk to the doc?

I hate to say this, but if you're an insecure person, I don't know how you're going to deal with some doctors. Many are pleasant and professionals, but if you've worked in the health care environment, you know what some can be like.

Why do you especially want to be a sales person, when that requires being very secure about yourself?

Oh, from working in health care, you must have noticed how sales reps are constantly bringing food to the office. Guess why.
LiveLoughLaugh24

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 02:22 pm
@chai2,
Absolutely, and thank you for the direct and honest feedback.
Naturally, yes, I am a bit insecure however I am able to present my-self well and seem pretty confident when I know what I am talking about. In this case, it would be the medical supplies.

Believe it or not knowledge and communicating that knowledge makes me feel more confident so I'm sure once I successfully get a couple of doctors I feel more confident and comfortable.

Are you or have you been a sales rep in the past?

Why do I want to be a sales rep?
I didn't look for it. It happened to work out for me because of a family member and I thought it would be lucrative opportunity and good way to pay my bills and way through College. Also, I'd be able to work independently not be couped up in an office Monday through Friday. OH, and lots of travel. Which I love. It won't be forever since I have other plans within the medical field but I definitely believe it will be good experience especially with communicating and people. Two things which will be needed for any health care career.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 02:36 pm
How are you going to go to college and travel much of the time for your job? How are you going to schedule your appointments and presentations geared towards the customers needs when it gets in the way of your school schedule?

Why wouldn't I believe that having knowledge and communicating it would build your confidence? It does that for most people.

LiveLoughLaugh24

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 10:45 am
@chai2,
True I have considered the implications that traveling for the job would have on school but I thought that going on-line would help this. Thoughts?

0 Replies

LiveLoughLaugh24

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 10:45 am
@chai2,
Also, can the traveling get in the way of relationships.
0 Replies