Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:51 pm
As some of you already know, I'm going to be visiting Antarctica in January. Being a resident of northern California - more specifically, in the San Francisco bay area, we have no use for kneehi waterproof boots. I've been looking all over the place for boots, but to no avail. Can somebody out there help me find one? We'll be wading in ice water up to ten inches deep, so I need something that'll keep my feet warm. I need brand of boots, name of store, and price of same. Thx, c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,392 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:55 pm
2120 Vine St Berkeley, CA 94709 Phone: (510) 849-3628
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 12:01 am
Military Surplus
If you can find a military surplus store, you should be able to find what you need.

Also, try E-Bay. Search for military footwear--winter boots. If you can't find anything, send me a PM. My man sells military surplus in one corner of his store and he has TONS of boots (we live by a military base in the NORTH country--we know about COLD! LOL)
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 12:09 am
Extreme Weather Overboots
Extreme Weather Overboots

These are extreme cold weather overboots--$9.99
6 days, 19 hours left to bid [no bids yet, it appears that very few people shop for extreme cold weather overboots in the summer.]
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:32 am
You take the coolest vacations, CI! Smile
have fun!
Send me a postcard!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 05:44 pm
Hi All, Thanks for all your suggestions and contact numbers. I've browsed some of the links, and sent an email or two to get more detailed info - especially on prices, because this is a one time use shoe. The army surplus store has some good prices, but they don't seem to have any knee hi's. As for the overshoes, it looks too flimsy; and we'll be walking in ice water ten inches deep. I need warmth and water protection.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 05:48 pm
It looks like you are looking for something like this c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 05:57 pm
fishin, That's closer to what I'm looking for. I just need to find some wool/insulated sox to go with that boots - then it's a go. Thanks. c.i.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 06:29 pm
HELP
c.i. : give the l. l. bean catalog a try. they have outfitted explorer team, i believe. their assortment is amazing . have visited the store in maine with ebeth: had to DRAG her out ! so, what does she do ? she goes sans parents ! hbg OUTFITTERS TO C.I. - THE EXPLORER ... when we go to hawai, i assume all we will need will be bathing suits ? (and a large suitcase for macadamia nuts for ebeth ! ).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 06:49 pm
hbg, I just talked to Laurie of LL Bean. Very helpful. They're going to get their new line of boots in next month, and suggested I contact them then. Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:26 pm
As far as I'm concerned, about the best cold-weather boots you can find are by Sorel. In fact, they are "The boot of choice" for Antarctic Service, and they offer several nodels. I've never been to Antarctica, but I've spent lots of 30-below time out in the Northwoods in my Sorel Blizzards ... plenty warm, plenty sturdy, but sorta pricey. You do get what you pay for though.

If you go with Sorels, you'll wanna get a pair of uninsulated overboots, though ... I don't think there are any knee-highs in their line.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:43 pm
timber, I'm more than experienced on price and quality. However, this Antarctic trip is the one and only time I'm going to be swimming in 10 inches of ice water, and spending $300+ for shoes is not my idea of wise spending. I'm shopping for something more in line with "reasonable," but if none is available, I might end up with that $300 shoe.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:55 pm
ive had a set of Sorel blizzards and I was at baffin Island late in the year and it was damn cold. So I tend to agree with Timber. Also get a set of gore wind stoppers . Thyre like chaps that will break the gale force breezes.
Get a benmeadows catalog
http://benmeadows.com
, or forestry suppliers --(same thing dot com). These have expeditionary clothes , you dont want to get wet feet in extreme cold. youre gonna be in the ANtarctic sping but unless youre gonna be in a bubble, youre gonna need wind stopping , layers of lighter clothes and a good set of silk or merino longies. But the boots are not something to scrimp on, especially where its a frozen puddle .

I hope you get on a geology tour of the plateaus. I assume youll get to Mt Erebus, probably by CAT.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 08:11 pm
farmerman, Thanks. I ordered two catalogs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 11:29 pm
I added that Sorel link to my favorites..
what happens if he finds 11" water... is the top tight enough?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:12 am
osso, So far, all I've found are 10" or 15" boots. Some hitops are between regular shoes and the 10", but they're too short for 10" of ice water. I've been asking the suppliers to accommodate 10" of ice water, so I'm waiting for them to recommend the right boots. It has to be insulated and waterproof.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:09 am
c.i. seems to be a little short on cash after paying for the fare to antartica. perhaps some sturdy garbage-bags will keep c.i. dry and warm ? anyone taking up a collection (IT IS FUNNY - from where i am sitting !). hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:10 am
c.i. seems to be a little short on cash after paying for the fare to antartica. perhaps some sturdy garbage-bags will keep c.i. dry and warm ? anyone taking up a collection ? (IT IS FUNNY - from where i am sitting !). hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:11 am
Laugh away, hbg. It'll be my turn to laugh at you - at your expense - in the future. Wink Garbage bag, indeed!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 01:17 pm
Hipwaders that fishermen use seem a little unwieldy..
0 Replies