two impotent interim governments in one week

djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:46 pm
on monday my country (canada) will hold it's election, and by the looks of the polls, there will be no clear winner (a definite minority government for either the liberals or conservatives), and then two days later iraq gets it's new government in training

it's shaping up to be an interesting political year
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 622 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:07 pm
Re: two impotent interim governments in one week
djjd62 wrote:
on monday my country (canada) will hold it's election, and by the looks of the polls, there will be no clear winner (a definite minority government for either the liberals or conservatives), and then two days later iraq gets it's new government in training

it's shaping up to be an interesting political year

Indeed, however shouldn't we expect more from Canada than the fledgling Iraq?

It's interesting too that Canada, like America, seems to be polarized along political lines. I wonder if the American liberals can blame that on George Bush too.

I further find it interesting that Michael Moore and Ralph Nader have decided it is in the best interest of the world, and presumably Canada, to urge Canadians not to vote for Harper (as opposed to voting for Martin).

I wonder if there has ever before been this much interest in a Canadian election by such luminaries of the American Left.

This is not only a politically interesting year, its, I believe, a watershed year.
It's hard not to imagine that victories of one ideology or the other in both countries might start something of a trend throughout the West. But maybe that would be an illusory portent.

If nothing else, the Canadian election belies American liberals' claim that the rest of the West is liberal. No matter what the majority of Canadians think about the Iraqi war, an election this tight makes it difficult to assert the populace clearly rests within either camp.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:44 pm
minority or coalition governments seem to have worked quite well in canada. certainly keeps the governing party on its toes, if they intend to stay in power for a while. hbg
0 Replies