Bush: War not inciting terrorists (horse pucky!)

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:23 am
Bush may think the world is a safer place due to his policies---from his perspective with Secret Service and Military protection where ever he goes. But the rest of us sure as hell are not safer. I want to find out where Bush buys his rose-colored glasses and get some. ---BBB

Bush: War not inciting terrorists
'I do believe the world is a safer place'
Friday, June 25, 2004 Posted: 11:51 AM EDT (1551 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In an interview with Irish television ahead of a U.S.-EU summit, U.S. President George W. Bush defended his stance on Iraq and said the war has not incited terrorists.

Bush leaves Friday for Ireland, where he will meet with European Union leaders Saturday before heading to Turkey for a NATO summit. Ireland currently holds the rotating six-month presidency of the EU.

In the sometimes combative interview with Irish network RTE -- the president at one point asking the interviewer to let him finish his answers -- Bush disputed the suggestion that the world is more dangerous with the focus on Iraq instead of Afghanistan and al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

"On September 11, 2001, we were attacked in an unprovoked fashion -- everybody thought the world was calm," the president told RTE's Carole Coleman at the White House.

"There [have] been bombings since then, not because of my response to Iraq. There were bombings in Madrid. There were bombings in Istanbul. There were bombings in Bali. There were killings in Pakistan."

Hundreds of people died in those attacks, which targeted Western interests or U.S. allies in the war on terrorism.

"I do believe the world is a safer place and becoming a safer place," the president said. "I know that a free Iraq is going to be necessary -- part of changing the world.

"People join terrorist organizations because there's no hope and there's no chance to raise their families in a peaceful world where there is not freedom ... so the idea is to promote freedom and at the same time protect our security.

Bush's comments came on a day where coordinated insurgent attacks in five Iraqi cities killed about 100 people, including civilians, Iraqi security service members and three U.S. troops.

"These people are willing to kill innocent people. They're willing to slaughter innocent people to stop the advance of freedom," Bush said.

"So the free world has to make a choice. Do we cower in the face of terror or do we lead in the face of terror? I'm going to lead in the face of terror. We will not let these terrorists dash the hopes and ambitions of the people of Iraq."

Bush appeared frustrated when Coleman interrupted him as he was talking about the Middle East.

"Please, please, for a minute, okay?" Bush said "It'd be better if you'd let me finish my answers and then you can follow up if you don't mind."

In Ireland, Bush will meet with Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern, European Commission President Romano Prodi and EU security chief Javier Solana at Dromoland Castle near Shannon in the southwest of the island.

Thousands of protesters are expected in assemble in Dublin and in Shannon near the summit site. Ireland will deploy 6,000 police and troops to protect Bush and the EU leaders.

Further polarizing Irish public opinion against the war has been the Abu Ghraib prison scandal.

The president said the actions of a handful of troops should not be allowed to sully the image of a whole nation.

"I hope the Irish people understand the great values of our country," Bush said, "and if they think that a few soldiers represent the entirety of America, they really don't understand America then."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,370 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:26 am
That's "Abu Graif."
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:35 am
Abu Garhuaib.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:51 am
What does it tell us when a president's every speech is so predictable that half the citizens could write out the comments beforehand?

How can anyone be excited or motivated by such shallow and formulaic ideas and sentences?

How can, most oddly, anyone feel comfortable or secure with this nincompoop at the head of anything larger than a hardware store?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:58 am
I think that was "Aboo Goo-er-rah-garabe"
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:47 pm
My theory, Blatham:

There are those who, in defiance of logic, prefer a leader who is more simply-spoken over an eloquent one.

While I cannot claim to understand their reasoning, I would guess that those who are less eloquent themselves prefer someone who they can easily understand, consistently.

Do you think there's a correlation between this and the sad state of our educational system?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:49 pm
the more bush speaks the more he sounds like the village idiot.

i believe, after examining the narrowness between his eyes, the poor guy has fetal alcohol syndrome. yet i can't blame babs, for if i had to carry around for 9 months that lying, little $hit, i would hit the bottle too.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:24 pm
I hear babs is quite an Attila the Hun herself!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:45 pm
Bush also thinks the war in Iraq is going very well, and he "really" feels sorrow when our soldiers gets killed or injured. At least, that's what he claimed on tv the other day.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:48 pm
Kuv...what's up big dog? Yes bush is a broken record.....and numbingly predictable.....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 03:17 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Bush also thinks the war in Iraq is going very well, and he "really" feels sorrow when our soldiers gets killed or injured. At least, that's what he claimed on tv the other day.

Then he must be in a constant state of sorrow.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 03:28 pm
way to not incite terrorists jr.....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/26/iraq.main/index.html

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 03:44 pm
blatham wrote:
How can, most oddly, anyone feel comfortable or secure with this nincompoop at the head of anything larger than a hardware store?

I voted for him and now question the state of mind I was in, in November 2000. How low do you think my self esteem is. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 03:54 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
I hear babs is quite an Attila the Hun herself!

"But why should we hear about body bags and deaths and how many, what day it's going to happen, and how many this or what do you suppose? Oh, I mean, it's, not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that"? ~ Barbara Bush
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 08:10 am
And Richard Clarke"s newest indictment in which he admits that he alone did now allow the Saudis to leave the country:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/26/clarke.iraq.ap/index.html

I think he's wrong about Moore wanting to make the connection that the Bushes and the Saudis still make not-so-strange bedfellows.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 08:51 am
war fails to incite terrorists twice in one day!!!!!

man are we winning hearts and minds...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/27/iraq.main/index.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 05:41 pm
doglover wrote:
blatham wrote:

I voted for him and now question the state of mind I was in, in November 2000. How low do you think my self esteem is. Crying or Very sad

dog
Your redemption is near at hand. Do get out to vote, please.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 05:52 pm
We're all safer alright! In today's local paper, there's an article titled, "Europe goes on high alert for summer." Turkey has deployed 23,000 soldiers to Istanbul to guard against any possible attack, and the Bosporus will be closed to shipping throughout the summer. We all know about what Greece is doing for the games. It seems all event sights are potential targets for terrorists. What is this president trying to sell - claiming that this world is a safer place?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 06:13 pm
He's opens Pandora's Box and hides behind Dick Cheney -- little did he know Michael Moore was also there. Cheney sure knows how to hide a lot.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:05 am
Yep, he sure does.
0 Replies