Really stupid move by Democrats against Nader; shame!

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:31 am
Shame on these stupid Democrats for trying to block a candidate's right to run for political office. It will only backfire and make Nader more determined. ---BBB

Democrats Sue to Block Nader From Ariz. Ballot
By Dan Balz and Hamil R. Harris
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, June 24, 2004; Page A08

Democrats attempted to put a roadblock in front of independent candidate Ralph Nader's efforts to gain access to the presidential ballot in Arizona, with the filing of a lawsuit by two Arizona residents challenging the validity of the petitions submitted by Nader's campaign.

The suit underscores the determination of the Democrats to try to frustrate Nader's efforts to qualify for state ballots. It is a shift from four years ago, when party officials and the campaign of Vice President Al Gore generally ignored Nader, who was running as the Green Party candidate, in the hope that his campaign would not attract support.

The suit, filed in superior court in Maricopa County in Phoenix, charges that, of the 21,512 signatures on Nader's petitions, only 6,045 are valid. State law requires Nader to submit 14,694 valid signatures to qualify for the ballot.

Although state law prohibits a political party from filing or financing such suits, the state party provided space in its office for volunteers and staff members working on their own time to review the signatures.

"We did this on our own," Arizona Democratic Party Chairman Jim Pederson said. "I hasten to say we're not taking action on behalf of the Democratic National Committee or the Kerry campaign."

Nader called the suit "potential harassment" and said if Democrats persist, he will revise his campaign strategy. "We will concentrate only on the close states."

The action in Arizona came a day after Nader stormed out of a Capitol Hill meeting in which members of the Congressional Black Caucus told him to abandon his bid for the White House. The chairman of the group, Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.), refused to apologize for a meeting that Nader publicly described yesterday as abusive.

"Some of them used very abusive language," Nader told National Public Radio host Tavis Smiley during his morning program. "Congressman [Melvin] Watt of North Carolina used such abusive language until I could hardly believe what he was saying."

"We could understand his right to run, but we were just convinced after the meeting that this was just about Nader," Cummings said. "First of all, he can't win, but he can be an aider and abettor of four more years of President Bush's regressive leadership."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 631 • Replies: 4
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:42 am
I love it. "He can't win" so he should not run? Wow? Seems I remember the entire country did not think Truman could win in '48, so I guess he should not have run.

If the democrats have a candidate that they believe in and get behind, why fear Nadar? I don't get it. If he cannot win, then instead of crying about him being in the race, go out and make the case to the voters as to why they should vote for Kerry instead of Bush or Nadar or anyone else.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:39 am
Anybody who can meet the legal requirements to run for public office should be on the ballot. I can remember one election in which Jesse Jackson was vieing for the Democrat nomination for President and Pat Robertson was vieing for the GOP nomination and both enjoyed some early success. It occurred to me that if those two actually got their party's nomination, could there be any more frightening choice?

There is always a chance after the conventions and the nominations are set that both of the front runners will so embarass themselves nobody will want to vote for either of them.

That's when I want a third and fourth and fifth choice to be on the ballot.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 12:18 pm
I saw on either CNN or Fox that Nader went to meet with the Black Caucus, and yelling was heard from the hallway. Nader looked shaken when he left, but said there had been a 'vigorous exchange of ideas'.

The ideas the Black Caucus had were that Nader was an asshole for running against Kerry.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 12:21 pm
Get a life Democrats!

You want the votes of Nader supporters? A little respect won't hurt. Stop whining and stand for something for a change!

This kind of crap just pisses me off.
0 Replies