gollum

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 06:24 pm
I recently bought a new PC with Windows 8. How do I access MS Excel?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 6,272 • Replies: 20
Topic Closed

chai2

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 06:27 pm
@gollum,
Did you purchase MS Office with the computer?

See link below...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/does-access-powerpoint-word-and-excel-come/d11348fc-d98e-4322-904d-fca1fe4a2010
jespah

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 06:27 pm
@gollum,
If you have it, it's just like accessing any other program. Try windows key>all programs.

It might be under MS Office.
gollum

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 06:39 pm
@jespah,
jespah-

Thank you.

I believe Window Key is the key between Ctrl and Alt on the left (another one on the right. When I press it I get Start and boxes of various sizes with names of programs but not Excel or MS Office.
chai2

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 06:44 pm
@gollum,
On that start page, click the down arrow on the bottom left, then scroll right until you get the the section title MS Office. If it isn't listed there you don't have it, and will have to purchase MS Office.

Get the Student Edition, it's the cheapest, and all you will need.

Did you look at the link in my previous post?
roger

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 07:20 pm
I have yet to buy a computer with Office, or Excel and Word. My current computer didn't even come with Mine Sweeper.
chai2

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 09:32 pm
@roger,
Do you mean you don't use those programs, or you had to get them separately?

I use Excel and PowerPoint all day. Word occassionally.

My life would come to a screeching halt if I didn't have Excel or PP. I couldn't function.

roger

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 09:57 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, I had to buy MS Office separately. Well, I was able to install the package I bought for my last computer in 2007. You never know how that's going to work out till you try.

I use Excel routinely, and Word occasionally. Never had a need for powerpoint.
chai2

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:48 pm
@roger,
I've been using PP a lot to create images of items I'm selling, converting them into jpgs for posting online.

I used Word earlier this evening, using the template for a business card to make a thank you/please refer me card to include with the items I ship.
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 15 Apr, 2015 06:17 am
I use a lot more PP now (for class).

gollum - the windows key looks like a window.
http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/hitting-the-windows-key-brings-you-back-to-the-windows-8-home-screen.jpg
0 Replies

Chris Mackenzy

Thu 16 Apr, 2015 01:44 pm
@gollum,
Windows 8 has nothing to do with MS Excel, If you want to run MS Excel then you have to install MS Office first.
0 Replies

parados

Thu 16 Apr, 2015 02:36 pm
@gollum,
Windows 8 changed how you access programs. Pressing the windows key takes you to the start page. If you swipe up on the start page you get to the Apps page which will list installed programs. They have made it more difficult to get to programs and find them. If you start to type when on the start page it will bring up the search box.

Try using the windows + r command
The windows key and the r key at the same time will bring up the run box. Type excel in the box and press enter.

Microsoft directions are here:
https://support.office.com/en-sg/article/Cant-find-Office-applications-in-Windows-8-907ce545-6ae8-459b-8d9d-de6764a635d6

You can install program links to the start page.
chai2

Thu 16 Apr, 2015 07:54 pm
@parados,
Again, the issue is that Windows 8 when you buy a desktop computer, does not automatically come with MS Office.

Gollum will have to buy and download the software.

BTW, I for one hate the way Windows 8 is set up. I guess it's supposed to appeal to people who want to pretend they're on some kind of social network all day.
It feels like I'm in 3rd grade playing "pick the pretty picture"

First thing I did was make my icons on my desktop and bottom of the page with links. I've had this computer now since the beginning of the year, and I can honestly say I haven't given more than a passing glance at their set up. I've gone in there to find the desktop icon to get out of something like the photo editor. Don't get me started on that.

0 Replies

gollum

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:12 pm
@chai2,
chai2-

Yes. Thank you. It was helpful.
0 Replies

Chris Mackenzy

Fri 1 May, 2015 10:54 am
@gollum,
Dear you need to install MS office first to use Excel, Word, Power point and other Office tools.
0 Replies

homeworkhelp

Sat 20 Jun, 2015 01:23 am
@gollum,
First you have to install MS office and then you can work on Excel.

You can install MS Office of any version from 2007 to 2013.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:55 pm
Hey, wait everybody, I think I have the answer.

He needs to install MS Office.
roger

Sat 20 Jun, 2015 11:27 pm
@chai2,
I use Office Home & Student. Of course, I'm not allowed to use it for business. I apply a very narrow definition of business use, and they haven't come after me yet.
0 Replies

ulinka

Wed 23 Mar, 2016 08:12 am
@chai2,
thanks for very value link!
0 Replies

Abrienne

Tue 31 Oct, 2017 11:57 pm
@chai2,
Thanks it was quite helpful with your shared link.
0 Replies