Does "mugged" mean "robbed at gunpoint or with the threat of violence"?

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 11:37 pm

Context:

On some days, Kennedy listed the names of two or three women. On other days, he wrote “victory,” which meant he avoided temptation.

In his 2001 journal, Kennedy often portrayed himself as a victim, saying he was “mugged” by women. In one instance, he wrote that he “narrowly escaped being mugged” by a team of two women.

“It was tempting but I prayed and God gave me the strength to say no,” he wrote.

He wrote on May 21, 2001, that he “got mugged on my way home” from Manhattan and noted the name of a woman with a 10 next to it.

That year, Kennedy wrote of struggling with “my greatest defect . . . my lust demons.” He wrote that he had to “avoid the company of women. You have not the strength to resist their charms.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 475 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oralloy
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 06:09 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Does "mugged" mean "robbed at gunpoint or with the threat of violence"?

The usual meaning is slightly broader than that. It can also include people who are actually attacked and roughed up a bit when they are robbed.

The meaning here though is different. Kennedy is using the term to either refer to being aggressively seduced by women, or refer to his internal temptations to aggressively seduce women. I'm not sure which.

That's not a normal definition and I doubt you'll find it in a dictionary. I guess you could say he was using the word creatively.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 06:57 am
@oristarA,
It is meant to be ironic.

He was claiming that these women attacked him (because they wanted to have sex with him) in the same way that someone might attack him to steal his wallet.
0 Replies