Does "who does strike me" mean "who does strongly impress me"?

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 01:31 am

Context:
This does not mean, of course, that we have no mental freedom whatsoever. We can choose to focus on certain facts to the exclusion of others, to emphasize the good rather than the bad, etc. And such choices have consequences for how we view the world. One can, for instance, view Kim Jong-il as an evil dictator; one can also view him as a man who was once the child of a dangerous psychopath. Both statements are, to a first approximation, true. (Obviously, when I speak about "freedom" and "choices" of this sort, I am not endorsing a metaphysical notion of "free will."

As to whether there are "different catgories of belief": perhaps, but not in the
way that Ball suggests. I happen to have a young daughter who does strike me as the "loveliest in the world." But is this an accurate account of what I believe? Do I, in other words, believe that my daughter is really the loveliest girl in the world? If I learned that another father thought his daughter the loveliest in the world, would I insist that he was mistaken? Of course not. Ball has mischaracterized what a proud (and sane and intellectually honest) father actually believes. Here is what I believe: I believe that I have
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 422 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 02:28 pm
@oristarA,

Yes, and you can leave "strongly" out.

If something strikes me, it occurs to me, or it leads me to form an opinion about it.
oristarA

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 09:05 pm
@McTag,
Thanks
0 Replies