Another day when there is no God

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 10:15 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You need to ask?

Seeing as how there are varied and diverse definitions of the things being discussed here, absolutely.
timur

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 11:36 am
Again, I'm ticked off by this tagging thing.

What do you call someone that has no need and/or no use for a God?

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 11:56 am
@timur,
Tagging has changed lately. Presently only the thread author can do it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 04:31 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

"Atheist" sums it up quite nicely.
timur

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 07:11 pm
@InfraBlue,
That's what I always thought but it seems that that definition is currently contested by some here..
Krumple

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 07:29 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Intelligent.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 07:40 pm
@timur,
To me it breaks down that some people get into posturings about the word believing and and other words, non believing.

I am clear izzy didn't check out set's link, the religion.org link he gave.

Izzy keeps saying atheists believe this and that.

A lot of us, probably most, aren't into believing there are no gods, which you so promote that we do.

A lot of us stop short at the word 'believing.' You presuppose that is what we all think, believing no gods.

I don't give a **** about gods and am not engaged in belief about it. Which I take most of us don't care about except Izzy, who presupposes beliefs of athiests.

Lack of belief is not another belief
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 02:33 am
@InfraBlue,
It's very simple, people ticked 'no religion' because they do not see themselves as religious. I imagine they all believe something different, something individual. Instead of looking it from a religious perspective and insisting they must be a b or c, just accept their choice and decision, no assumptions, no extrapolation, just leave it as it stands.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 02:39 am
@ossobucotemp,
If atheists don't want to be seen as a religion, they shouldn't act in a religious manner, by preaching and telling lies about their support.

It's a mass movement and it has many vocal supporters and outspoken evangelists. If it looks like a duck etc etc.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 02:44 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's very simple, people ticked 'no religion' because they do not see themselves as religious. I imagine they all believe something different, something individual. Instead of looking it from a religious perspective and insisting they must be a b or c, just accept their choice and decision, no assumptions, no extrapolation, just leave it as it stands.

That still doesn't explain what they mean by "religion," or "religious perspective."
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 03:00 am
@InfraBlue,
Why should it? People aren't ticking boxes for your benefit.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 07:40 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
That still doesn't explain what they mean by "religion," or "religious perspective."

As one who is not atheist but still ticked the 'no religion' box:

'Religion' or 'religious' refers to those people who claim to know and love God but reduce that belief to vain repetitions of rituals for either their timid acknowledgment of God or even worse, to give the impression that they acknowledge God.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 10:43 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Why should it? People aren't ticking boxes for your benefit.

Of course, it's for the benefit of the initiates. That's an esoteric religion by any other definition.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 11:27 am
@InfraBlue,
I think you're off your nut.
0 Replies

sanora

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2018 05:09 pm
This must be the place for weak minds. You can tell them by the way they are always whining for someone else to do their investigative work for them, by asking others to lay out the results of their efforts in front of them for their inspection. As if they ever really gave a damn in the first place. People who cater to these people are no better. Why would you enjoy wasting your time trying to explain reality to people who are so "energetically" far down the scale? Give it up and go till more fertile ground!
hingehead

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 06:36 am
@sanora,
This an awesome post.

I still can't figure out if you're pro-God or anti-God.

Simply masterful.
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 08:27 am
I've been re-reading this thread. Apart from that clown Frank, it's been very entertaining. Of course, I'm nowhere near the seventy-odd pages. I think I made it to page ten so far.

I had toast for a late night snack last night. It was uncanny, kinda creepy . . .

. . . it looked just like toast!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2018 09:42 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
This an awesome post.

I still can't figure out if you're pro-God or anti-God.

Simply masterful.

That one too!

I still can't tell if you're serious or not.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 01:08 pm
I abandoned this thread a long time ago. Reading it over again makes me proud to be an atheist. **** on not being an atheist.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 03:20 pm
So I says to meself in me foin atheist brogue, Eddie, I says, Eddie, if ye sneak by that bar without stopping in, I'll buy ye a drink. So oi sneaks by and feel so proud of meself, I turn back and go in for a few pints. Praise be to me.